REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Quebec bans RHD vehicles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574023-quebec-bans-rhd-vehicles.html)

DannyITR 04-29-2009 03:51 PM

Quebec bans RHD vehicles

RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec - MontrealRacing.com

Quebec has banned new registrations of RHD vehicles for 6 months. What do you guys think of this? Could spell a lot of trouble for JDM importers. Hope it doesn't spread country wide.

mas604 04-29-2009 04:07 PM

ha ha too bad

Dentz 04-29-2009 04:11 PM

The smarter import companies will deflect their shipments to other provinces for inspection/plating.

No real problem, yet.

Leopold Stotch 04-29-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyITR (Post 6402851)
RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec - MontrealRacing.com

Quebec has banned new registrations of RHD vehicles for 6 months. What do you guys think of this? Could spell a lot of trouble for JDM importers. Hope it doesn't spread country wide.

i'm not sure if it would spell a lot of trouble, i mean how big is the market there?

i was there for a week in ontario/quebec and i saw one rhd wrx.

i'm sure there's more in southern ontario, but not much in quebec.

Marco911 04-29-2009 09:48 PM

Finally there's some sanity. RHD vehicles should be banned, period. You should only be allowed to drive if the vehicle is registered in a RHD jurisdiction or if you have Temporary permits.

vOLTZ 04-29-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6403269)
Finally there's some sanity. RHD vehicles should be banned, period. You should only be allowed to drive if the vehicle is registered in a RHD jurisdiction or if you have Temporary permits.

couldn't agree more.

b15sentra 04-29-2009 10:53 PM

RHD is not a hazard. Drivers are a hazard. Cant drive one? Dont. For the rest of us. We do just fine. The rest of the world gets by just fine with LHD and RHD cars on the same roads. Its Quebec now. Its the rest of us soon. The ban gave one day notice. No compensation or exceptions for vehicles in transit. The businesses that are based soley on imports are being fucked by the government now. The retracted and false ICBC study has now caused actual damage. If you love imports. If you own an imported vehicle. If you are tired of the harassment of the mis-informed. If you don't want us to be next. Join the fight.
Import Vehicle Owners Association of Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockcrete @ ivoac.ca
There are some planned protests under way in Quebec already.
I have a very good idea for a different kind of protest as well.
The gloves are off, it's time to stop playing nice.
We will also need to hit them in court.
Everybody needs to broadcast this news on all other automotive forums they belong to.
This affects EVERYBODY that loves cars.
Today it is RHD in Quebec - tomorrow it may be 4x4's in Alberta or all modified cars in BC.
All automotive enthusiasts must band together across the country!

thumper 04-30-2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeTech (Post 6402900)
i'm not sure if it would spell a lot of trouble, i mean how big is the market there?

i was there for a week in ontario/quebec and i saw one rhd wrx.

i'm sure there's more in southern ontario, but not much in quebec.

weird... for example if i go and lurk on gtrcanada.com, a lot of the members there are from ontario, with quebec being a close second... when did u go? maybe everyone was hibernating for the winter? :confused:

68style 04-30-2009 06:32 AM

I don't think it will happen here, for all the evil ICBC is, the department that registers these vehicles is really pro-active about cars... I visit them frequently for work, they ask owners for pictures of interesting cars they help people register and hang them up in their cubicles and stuff... although even they got fed up with all the Skylines et. al. coming in a couple years ago by the hundreds a day sometimes.

time_traveller 04-30-2009 07:42 AM

In Montreal, a RHD car is the least of your worries. Horrible roads, super aggressive drivers, bicyclists everywhere, 3 different speed limits in the city, no right turns on red, no pedestrian/vehicle controlled traffic lights, etc...

They have a lot of other problems besides RHD, this ban is a waste of time.

They are pushing to lower the speed limit city wide to 40km/h as well.

BNR32_Coupe 04-30-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

exactly. RHDs are stupid. how are people supposed to use the drive-through window or pay for parking lots if theyre on the right hand side?

kknater 04-30-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6403640)
exactly. RHDs are stupid. how are people supposed to use the drive-through window or pay for parking lots if theyre on the right hand side?

haha. true, but I don't think thats what the Quebec Government had in mind when they deemed RHD vehicles "unsafe".

hk20000 04-30-2009 09:34 AM

It's so unsafe to your back and your crouch when you lean over the passenger side for your mcDix fix man, ban those fuckers.

Shun Izaki 04-30-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6403640)

Drive backwards through the drive-through of course!

BNR32_Coupe 04-30-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf666@BNR32 (Post 6403822)
Drive backwards through the drive-through of course!

But in quebec, people get confused. they see a guy going backwards and they think the drive thru's in the opposite direction. that's when accidents start to happen, people start to die.

Timpo 04-30-2009 11:16 AM

I don't know why government wants to pick on JDM vehicles.

from what I know, there aren't any accident that is directly caused by the driving position(RHD).

Timpo 04-30-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6403858)
But in quebec, people get confused. they see a guy going backwards and they think the drive thru's in the opposite direction. that's when accidents start to happen, people start to die.

so how many of those accidents are actually reported? accidents that is caused because the car was RHD.

Lomac 04-30-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6403861)
I don't know why government wants to pick on JDM vehicles.

from what I know, there aren't any accident that is directly caused by the driving position(RHD).

Who says they're picking solely on JDM's? People have been importing RHD cars for decades, most of which came from Europe (namely Britain).

But, yeah... driving in Montreal (well, Quebec in general) is brutal. The first thing I noticed was how horrible the roads are, though I attribute that to how much snow they get and how often the roads are dug up by snowplows and salt/sand. However, the second thing I noticed was that there is no wait time between red lights. As soon as the light goes red going one direction, the road going perpendicular turns green. There's no leeway or margin of error in case someone underestimated the yellow and ended up running a red, or even for cars turning left at a stale yellow.

Lomac 04-30-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Canada Postal's vehicles are RHD, as are some other government vehicles. I've yet to see a RHD vehicle get into an accident based on the fact that the driver is on the right side. People in Japan and Europe get along just fine with LHD and RHD vehicles driving side-by-side.

Marco911 04-30-2009 06:59 PM

Postal vehicles are RHD so the driver side is closer to the curb where the mailboxes are. I.E. The postal worker does not have to get out of his seat to stuff mail in the box.

As for the notion that RHD being as safe as LHD, this is ridiculous. Your visibility is seriously limited if you try to make a left turn at an intersection driving a RHD vehicle, and another vehicle is across from you trying to make a left turn also.

hk20000 04-30-2009 07:08 PM

No man, it must be all the confused gangsters that shoot the wrong side of the car, leaving the drug dealer still at large in the street causing such a ban.

Timpo 04-30-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6404224)
Who says they're picking solely on JDM's?

read the article

it doesn't say solely on JDM, but it talks about JDM vehicles as if it was a main concern.

BNR32_Coupe 05-01-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6404507)
Postal vehicles are RHD so the driver side is closer to the curb where the mailboxes are. I.E. The postal worker does not have to get out of his seat to stuff mail in the box.

As for the notion that RHD being as safe as LHD, this is ridiculous. Your visibility is seriously limited if you try to make a left turn at an intersection driving a RHD vehicle, and another vehicle is across from you trying to make a left turn also.

exactly, thats why you shouldn't use caution when turning left in a RHD vehicle. it just makes more sense

LHD vehicles dont have any blind spots. im sure you never asked your passenger if there's any parked cars in the right lane when driving behind a big truck. and im also sure you didnt have to slow down 7 car lengths just to see if theres any parked cars.

there's two ends of the spectrum with safety issues and advantages. driving LHD in a RHD environment, and vice versa, is accepted on literally every continent on the earth. japan, britain, actually all over europe...

SumAznGuy 05-01-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6405388)
exactly, thats why you shouldn't use caution when turning left in a RHD vehicle. it just makes more sense

LHD vehicles dont have any blind spots. im sure you never asked your passenger if there's any parked cars in the right lane when driving behind a big truck. and im also sure you didnt have to slow down 7 car lengths just to see if theres any parked cars.

I know there are a bunch of locations along my normal route home from work where I am turning left, and I cannot see past the opposite car who is also turning left. And I am in a LHD car.

Or maybe because I am asian and can't drive. :confused:

mas604 05-01-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6405421)
I know there are a bunch of locations along my normal route home from work where I am turning left, and I cannot see past the opposite car who is also turning left. And I am in a LHD car.

Or maybe because I am asian and can't drive. :confused:

I'm on the same level as you. Sometimes even in LHD you can't see oncoming traffick. Can't imagine being in a RHD.