REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quebec bans RHD vehicles

RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec - MontrealRacing.com

Quebec has banned new registrations of RHD vehicles for 6 months. What do you guys think of this? Could spell a lot of trouble for JDM importers. Hope it doesn't spread country wide.
Advertisement

Last edited by DannyITR; 04-29-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: link
DannyITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

ha ha too bad
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Douchebag Lover

The smarter import companies will deflect their shipments to other provinces for inspection/plating.

No real problem, yet.
Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post
RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec - MontrealRacing.com

Quebec has banned new registrations of RHD vehicles for 6 months. What do you guys think of this? Could spell a lot of trouble for JDM importers. Hope it doesn't spread country wide.
i'm not sure if it would spell a lot of trouble, i mean how big is the market there?

i was there for a week in ontario/quebec and i saw one rhd wrx.

i'm sure there's more in southern ontario, but not much in quebec.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Finally there's some sanity. RHD vehicles should be banned, period. You should only be allowed to drive if the vehicle is registered in a RHD jurisdiction or if you have Temporary permits.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Finally there's some sanity. RHD vehicles should be banned, period. You should only be allowed to drive if the vehicle is registered in a RHD jurisdiction or if you have Temporary permits.
couldn't agree more.
vOLTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

RHD is not a hazard. Drivers are a hazard. Cant drive one? Dont. For the rest of us. We do just fine. The rest of the world gets by just fine with LHD and RHD cars on the same roads. Its Quebec now. Its the rest of us soon. The ban gave one day notice. No compensation or exceptions for vehicles in transit. The businesses that are based soley on imports are being fucked by the government now. The retracted and false ICBC study has now caused actual damage. If you love imports. If you own an imported vehicle. If you are tired of the harassment of the mis-informed. If you don't want us to be next. Join the fight.
Import Vehicle Owners Association of Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrete @ ivoac.ca
There are some planned protests under way in Quebec already.
I have a very good idea for a different kind of protest as well.
The gloves are off, it's time to stop playing nice.
We will also need to hit them in court.
Everybody needs to broadcast this news on all other automotive forums they belong to.
This affects EVERYBODY that loves cars.
Today it is RHD in Quebec - tomorrow it may be 4x4's in Alberta or all modified cars in BC.
All automotive enthusiasts must band together across the country!
b15sentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
i'm not sure if it would spell a lot of trouble, i mean how big is the market there?

i was there for a week in ontario/quebec and i saw one rhd wrx.

i'm sure there's more in southern ontario, but not much in quebec.

weird... for example if i go and lurk on gtrcanada.com, a lot of the members there are from ontario, with quebec being a close second... when did u go? maybe everyone was hibernating for the winter?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
I don't think it will happen here, for all the evil ICBC is, the department that registers these vehicles is really pro-active about cars... I visit them frequently for work, they ask owners for pictures of interesting cars they help people register and hang them up in their cubicles and stuff... although even they got fed up with all the Skylines et. al. coming in a couple years ago by the hundreds a day sometimes.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

In Montreal, a RHD car is the least of your worries. Horrible roads, super aggressive drivers, bicyclists everywhere, 3 different speed limits in the city, no right turns on red, no pedestrian/vehicle controlled traffic lights, etc...

They have a lot of other problems besides RHD, this ban is a waste of time.

They are pushing to lower the speed limit city wide to 40km/h as well.
time_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
exactly. RHDs are stupid. how are people supposed to use the drive-through window or pay for parking lots if theyre on the right hand side?
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
exactly. RHDs are stupid. how are people supposed to use the drive-through window or pay for parking lots if theyre on the right hand side?
haha. true, but I don't think thats what the Quebec Government had in mind when they deemed RHD vehicles "unsafe".
kknater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
It's so unsafe to your back and your crouch when you lean over the passenger side for your mcDix fix man, ban those fuckers.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

Drive backwards through the drive-through of course!
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf666@BNR32 View Post
Drive backwards through the drive-through of course!
But in quebec, people get confused. they see a guy going backwards and they think the drive thru's in the opposite direction. that's when accidents start to happen, people start to die.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I don't know why government wants to pick on JDM vehicles.

from what I know, there aren't any accident that is directly caused by the driving position(RHD).
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
But in quebec, people get confused. they see a guy going backwards and they think the drive thru's in the opposite direction. that's when accidents start to happen, people start to die.
so how many of those accidents are actually reported? accidents that is caused because the car was RHD.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I don't know why government wants to pick on JDM vehicles.

from what I know, there aren't any accident that is directly caused by the driving position(RHD).
Who says they're picking solely on JDM's? People have been importing RHD cars for decades, most of which came from Europe (namely Britain).

But, yeah... driving in Montreal (well, Quebec in general) is brutal. The first thing I noticed was how horrible the roads are, though I attribute that to how much snow they get and how often the roads are dug up by snowplows and salt/sand. However, the second thing I noticed was that there is no wait time between red lights. As soon as the light goes red going one direction, the road going perpendicular turns green. There's no leeway or margin of error in case someone underestimated the yellow and ended up running a red, or even for cars turning left at a stale yellow.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Canada Postal's vehicles are RHD, as are some other government vehicles. I've yet to see a RHD vehicle get into an accident based on the fact that the driver is on the right side. People in Japan and Europe get along just fine with LHD and RHD vehicles driving side-by-side.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Postal vehicles are RHD so the driver side is closer to the curb where the mailboxes are. I.E. The postal worker does not have to get out of his seat to stuff mail in the box.

As for the notion that RHD being as safe as LHD, this is ridiculous. Your visibility is seriously limited if you try to make a left turn at an intersection driving a RHD vehicle, and another vehicle is across from you trying to make a left turn also.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
No man, it must be all the confused gangsters that shoot the wrong side of the car, leaving the drug dealer still at large in the street causing such a ban.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 04-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Who says they're picking solely on JDM's?
read the article

it doesn't say solely on JDM, but it talks about JDM vehicles as if it was a main concern.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Postal vehicles are RHD so the driver side is closer to the curb where the mailboxes are. I.E. The postal worker does not have to get out of his seat to stuff mail in the box.

As for the notion that RHD being as safe as LHD, this is ridiculous. Your visibility is seriously limited if you try to make a left turn at an intersection driving a RHD vehicle, and another vehicle is across from you trying to make a left turn also.
exactly, thats why you shouldn't use caution when turning left in a RHD vehicle. it just makes more sense

LHD vehicles dont have any blind spots. im sure you never asked your passenger if there's any parked cars in the right lane when driving behind a big truck. and im also sure you didnt have to slow down 7 car lengths just to see if theres any parked cars.

there's two ends of the spectrum with safety issues and advantages. driving LHD in a RHD environment, and vice versa, is accepted on literally every continent on the earth. japan, britain, actually all over europe...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
exactly, thats why you shouldn't use caution when turning left in a RHD vehicle. it just makes more sense

LHD vehicles dont have any blind spots. im sure you never asked your passenger if there's any parked cars in the right lane when driving behind a big truck. and im also sure you didnt have to slow down 7 car lengths just to see if theres any parked cars.
I know there are a bunch of locations along my normal route home from work where I am turning left, and I cannot see past the opposite car who is also turning left. And I am in a LHD car.

Or maybe because I am asian and can't drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I know there are a bunch of locations along my normal route home from work where I am turning left, and I cannot see past the opposite car who is also turning left. And I am in a LHD car.

Or maybe because I am asian and can't drive.
I'm on the same level as you. Sometimes even in LHD you can't see oncoming traffick. Can't imagine being in a RHD.
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote