REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Worst car purchase experience ever (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575037-worst-car-purchase-experience-ever.html)

AJL 05-07-2009 08:38 PM

Worst car purchase experience ever

Tonight i experience the worst customer service I have ever received while attempting to purchase a new car. After this experience i thought it wise to ask here if there are any dealerships i should steer clear of while searching for a second car and any recommendations of dealerships i should stop in at.

TIA

rental_metard 05-07-2009 10:44 PM

if you are thinking about going to speedway don't. Drive the 2 hours to Naniamo, it is worth it in every possible way. Don't ask why, trust me on blind faith.

Super Dipper 05-07-2009 10:52 PM

sort of off topic, but one of the best experiences ive had recently was at Campus Honda. Jim Galand was our sales rep and hands down THE best car salesman ive ever dealt with.

Never really liked the guys at Nissan, they always seem to look down on me when i come in my work attire when im grabbing a part and ask them a question regarding the new G or Z.

But once i clean up and drive in with my car, they wont stop hounding me.... assholes

AJL 05-08-2009 06:20 AM

rental_metard I assume you are referring to the VW/Audi dealership if so thanks for the heads up.

Super Dipper, was your car purchase recent? we are looking into Versa, echo, accent, ect.

I have received two messages: My bad experience was at Victoria Hyundai where I feel the sales manager personally attacked me over what i assumed to be easy questions. We had an agreed upon price and financing worked out and as we were signing papers the dealership informed us that they could not honour the deal. We thanked everyone for their time, the manager attacked my character, i then thanked him for his time, shook his hand and departed.

It is an experience like this that will keep me away from ever purchasing a car from this dealership and in the future i am looking to avoid the situation all together

projectcivic 05-08-2009 07:03 AM

I had a fun experience last night, not really looking at buying a new car but thought we would go for a drive and check things out. Well we pulled into a Ford Dealership last night at 845pm thinking they would be closed, well I wasn't even out of my car yet and I had a salesman standing at my door. The guy was so greasy looking and cheesy he fell into the stereotypical sleezy salesman look and aditute, well after a few minutes of him trying to talk to me like i have no idea about cars and whats what, he finaly asked me what I did and I told him that I work for Honda. His whole aditute changed and he turned into a bit of a kiss ass. I walked right after that. Not a bad experience but funny none the less.

h0tSX 05-08-2009 08:58 AM

I experienced similar things at Vic Hyundai on Gorge there while helping a friend shop for a car. We came straight from work at a welding shop we both worked at and the sales staff were strangely reluctant to help. Much like Jas' situation, we came back later after changing from gritty work clothes, we were treated much better but they ducked every attempt we tried at getting a bottom line price. If you're set on a Korean automobile, I think my buddy ended up going to the Duncan dealership, and he can't say enough good stuff about the service.

Car Chick 05-08-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectcivic (Post 6414781)
I had a fun experience last night, not really looking at buying a new car but thought we would go for a drive and check things out. Well we pulled into a Ford Dealership last night at 845pm thinking they would be closed, well I wasn't even out of my car yet and I had a salesman standing at my door. The guy was so greasy looking and cheesy he fell into the stereotypical sleezy salesman look and aditute, well after a few minutes of him trying to talk to me like i have no idea about cars and whats what, he finaly asked me what I did and I told him that I work for Honda. His whole aditute changed and he turned into a bit of a kiss ass. I walked right after that. Not a bad experience but funny none the less.

What was his name? hah

Fleemer 05-08-2009 08:16 PM

The Hyundai dealership is hilarious. I went there to get an xmas presetn for my mom (wanted some hyundai stuff... lol w/e)

I couldn't even make it to the parts deartment. They wanted to sell me a goddamn tiberon as if it was the hottest thing on earth.

"Nice car, we can upgrade you to a 2009 tiburon today!"

was stopped by like 4 salesmen. Had to explain to them that "upgrading" to a 200hp fwd car is a downgrade from mine :P

Drove off with my teddy.

If your looking at getting a new car I suggest on hiring a car broker. My wife's mother did. I went with her. They do all the haggling for you and get the bottom line directly from the managers themselves. They tell you how much wiggle room there is and whether or not they think you'll accept the offer. (they keep the bottom line confidential for obvious reasons) If you have a broker they know your serious. The guy she dealt with was very professional and I was really impressed. You avoid all the unnecessary talk with salesmen and etc. Deal with the broker and he deals with the dealership for you, he shops around for you to get the best price. In my opinion, worth every penny.

Super Dipper 05-08-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL (Post 6414758)
rental_metard I assume you are referring to the VW/Audi dealership if so thanks for the heads up.

Super Dipper, was your car purchase recent? we are looking into Versa, echo, accent, ect.

I have received two messages: My bad experience was at Victoria Hyundai where I feel the sales manager personally attacked me over what i assumed to be easy questions. We had an agreed upon price and financing worked out and as we were signing papers the dealership informed us that they could not honour the deal. We thanked everyone for their time, the manager attacked my character, i then thanked him for his time, shook his hand and departed.

It is an experience like this that will keep me away from ever purchasing a car from this dealership and in the future i am looking to avoid the situation all together

my parents bought their CR-V from campus honda just after new years.

with nissan its the same BS everytime im in. I get treated a little better now that a chick i know works on the infiniti side, but its the same old story nonetheless.

My favorite story so far was when the girl i knew, came up to me, introduced me as being new to the infiniti team, and we were talking, some grease ball sales guy from the nissan side comes up to me and starts telling me that modifying the G35 wasnt a good idea, as the camshafts will let go and cause the motor to fail and i should look into a either a 370 or G37s because they are a better motor and whatnot.

He rambled on for a little bit and then when he asked me what i did for work, he walked away red in the face while his colleague pissed herself laughing.

Im all for "one-upping" the next guy or trying to make ones appearance superior infront of others, but do your fucking homework first.

lol idiots.

Super Dipper 05-08-2009 09:22 PM

oh btw, if you are looking at a hyundai, go check out duncan hyundai. my boss has bought 2 cars from there in the past 3 years or so and she has been happy with them both times. As well, the service dept seems to go that extra mile to make their customers happy.

AJL 05-08-2009 10:46 PM

Well I flew into Vancouver this morning for meetings and flew back to get my car, I am now spending the weekend here, I am going to see if any of the dealerships here want to sell the car at the price we worked out, if so the wife will drive it back Sunday.

I did get a laugh at dinner when the wife told me the dealership called and asked her to come back in on monday, I told her i would go back simply for the apology, apparently they didn't realize when I told them I had an important meeting to attend every monday and thursday at 7pm I really had an important meeting.

thanks for the tip on duncan as well, if i dont find anything this weekend i will check Duncan out on the long weekend

Eros250 05-08-2009 10:49 PM

all i can say is victoria hyundai is a joke. will not be going back there.

Hondatech 05-08-2009 11:43 PM

Adding to the pile of praise, a good friend of mine bought a Hyundai Elantra to get him through his residency, and has nothing but great things to say about Duncan Hyundai. If you're looking at one, it seems you'll do well to deal with those folks :thumbsup:

AJL 05-09-2009 07:57 AM

From everyones experience with Duncan Hyundia is there a prefered sales person I should contact? If so please post or PM the sales persons name, in exchange I will inquire if they have some sort of customer referral program and let them know who, and possible multipile people, has referred me to the sales person.

m3lv_VIII 05-09-2009 09:55 AM

all i can say...don't go @.....mitsubishi vancouver.....thats the F*** dealership in the city!!!!

Black SC2 05-09-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3lv_VIII (Post 6416123)
all i can say...don't go @.....mitsubishi vancouver.....thats the F*** dealership in the city!!!!

Uh.... Quoi?

AJL 05-09-2009 08:49 PM

well the search is over. Went to the coquitlam Hyundia to see if they wanted to match the deal Victoria Hyundia offered originally on the accent... Left with a new Tiburon for about $20/month more and $100/year more on insurance.

Overall it was a great deal and the sales staff were excellent. The manager sat with us a few times over the course of our visit and appologized for the way we were treated in victoria. Overall it was a better experience then i had buying any other car (bmw, Audi, Subaru)

Decepticons 05-09-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 6414543)
sort of off topic, but one of the best experiences ive had recently was at Campus Honda. Jim Galand was our sales rep and hands down THE best car salesman ive ever dealt with.

Never really liked the guys at Nissan, they always seem to look down on me when i come in my work attire when im grabbing a part and ask them a question regarding the new G or Z.

But once i clean up and drive in with my car, they wont stop hounding me.... assholes

+ 1 for jim, hes a wicked guy!

Fleemer 05-10-2009 04:49 PM

Hahaha, coquitlam should phone victoria and thank them for the sale ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL (Post 6416756)
well the search is over. Went to the coquitlam Hyundia to see if they wanted to match the deal Victoria Hyundia offered originally on the accent... Left with a new Tiburon for about $20/month more and $100/year more on insurance.

Overall it was a great deal and the sales staff were excellent. The manager sat with us a few times over the course of our visit and appologized for the way we were treated in victoria. Overall it was a better experience then i had buying any other car (bmw, Audi, Subaru)

chet 05-11-2009 07:36 AM

Not sure if he's still there but Tony at duncan hyundai helped us with our used hnda civic from there and my parents sante fe. They seem to be a good dealership with no BS.

Victoria SiR 05-11-2009 07:58 AM

Tony has owned Duncan Hyundai for years. His wife used to work with me at the CVRD. Great people there.

Capilano Audi is excellent, treated me fantastic. They are also incredibly understanding.

ChrisStang 05-11-2009 08:30 AM

Never been in the market for a Hyundai, but I did recently deal with a slew of dealerships before buying my wife's caddy.

Ford: Went to Glen Oak and the one in Colwood. Both times just wanted to see the product and get a feel for the vehicles. Both times Sales guys started off not too bad, with reasonable product knowledge and were fairly helpful. Upon completing the drives and atrying to leave was where it got hard. They will try and seize upon you and stick you in their little austere room while the shuttle back and forth to their manager "trying to get you a deal". My wife and I actually liked the product and she loved the little escapes, but we hated the sales experience.

Sales guy at Nissan was just greasy and didn't seem to really care. we found most of the Nissan stuff (Rogue and Murano) to be expensive for the content level you were getting.

Saturn guy was good. No issues at all. Just the Vue was pugly.

GM guys were not bad at all. We ended up buying from them and it was a good experience. The Equinox/Torrent was not bad, and the SRX was sublime compared to everything else we drove. We worked out a deal I felt was reasonable and are happy with the new vehicle.

We never did check out Honda as the CRV's overbite grill styling was just too hideous.

We didn't look at the korean vehicles either as my wife and I are employed. ;)

AJL 05-16-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obama (Post 6418402)
Capilano Audi is excellent, treated me fantastic. They are also incredibly understanding.

Capilano Audi is where i purchased my A4, great sales staff and even better support after purchase and with maintenance.

Hyundai canada has contact the wife over the letter we sent after dealing with Victoria and we are expecting a phone call from the head office this week.

ostampflee 05-16-2009 10:54 AM

We had the best experience ever from a dealer this week... the gungy place on Bay Street. Most of their selection is horrid, but hey... what do expect for mostly sub $3000 cars. Andrew was our sales guy. A British guy with absolutely zero sales pressure and no used car sales cheese.

I still refuse to buy brand new although it was awfully tempting this time.

Demosthenes X 06-22-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 6414543)

+2. Didn't end up buying from him because they didn't have the colour I was after and Duncan did, but I dealt with Jim in December and he remembered me when I went back in April. Excellent service, would have happily bought from him if they'd had the car I wanted in stock.

Discovery Honda in Duncan is even better, though. :)