REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Van Isle
Posts: 7,653
Thanked 443 Times in 188 Posts
NDP dominates Vancouver Island

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/bc...316/story.html

Can anyone explain why?

WTF?
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
who would ban me? lol. Look at my post count.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 05-13-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
people are stupid.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Head Mod yo
 
Victoria SiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 250
Posts: 8,803
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Vancouver Island, lots of Pot.

LOTS!
Victoria SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,508
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
"Liberal leader Gordon Campbell spent mere hours on the Island and made no major promises for the region, leading to suggestions his party ignored the Island in favour of the vote-rich Lower Mainland.

Campbell’s cursory attention played directly into the NDP strategy of stoking resentment among Islanders who felt ignored by a Liberal government — a tune the party played from writ drop to election day."


There's a big reason right there.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Striker RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The woods
Posts: 2,131
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably because they don't want to see the province sold off
__________________
Formerly Club-Integra's Van. Island Coordinator

BCAS Paramedic - Chemainus Station

91 Acura Integra RS - Sold
90 Toyota SR5 4x4 ext Cab
Striker RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Da Island mon!
Posts: 1,310
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah, they're typical dumbass Canadians who like to spend more than they can pay for.

Carole James FTL.
__________________
2002 GMC Envoy SLT - Mmm... Heated leather.
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 - The built, bottled, and extremely obnoxious race car err lawn ornament.
2003 Saturn Ion-2 Sedan - Wife's daily driver.
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
Enraged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 7,111
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I couldn't believe how many people I know didn't vote, or just plain didn't care... but they sure start caring when they want or lose something from the government...
__________________
88 Toyota Supra Turbo.... maybe ready to drive soon.
05 Subaru Legacy GT - for sale
04 Volvo V70R
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m1ataman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria
Posts: 2,670
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campbell only needed the Vancouver voters. That's where he's always concentrated anyway. He's always screwed over the rest of the province for their benefit.
__________________
Click on the CarDomain links below to check out my toys.
2006 Mazda MX5/1999 Nissan Altima (wifemobile)/1974 VW Super Beetle
PM ME FOR AMSOIL SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS INFO
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
danny_d19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van Island
Posts: 1,629
Thanked 834 Times in 105 Posts
there was an election?
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 301
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Island is generally a strong point for the NDP. Lots of saw mills, paper mills, big unions now mostly out of work and needing gov't handouts. Also lots of gov't employees, Universities, and old people needing health care.

If you need to suckle off the public teet, Vancouver Island is for you. Truth be told though I am a public sector employee. Just an odd kind that works well in excess of the hours I get paid for, and I bust my ass every day I'm at work.
__________________
'89 Mustang 5.0 H/C/I turbo 331cid
'03 Lightning 393rwhp & 503 rwft/lbs
'06 Caddilac SRX
'96 Ranger
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostampflee View Post
Nah, they're typical dumbass Canadians who like to spend more than they can pay for.

Carole James FTL.
BINGO!
Its like a guy living paycheque to paycheque suddenly getting approved for a credit card and buying shit, assuming that things will start to look up and that he can afford to pay the interest, or falling for those electronic stores that offer financing on TVs.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
h0tSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Najaf
Posts: 1,596
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
BINGO!
Its like a guy living paycheque to paycheque suddenly getting approved for a credit card and buying shit, assuming that things will start to look up and that he can afford to pay the interest, or falling for those electronic stores that offer financing on TVs.
Nice try numb nuts, but not quite. Countries go into defecit all the time for social infrastructure. Just because the checkbook is balanced doesn't mean all is well. The Liberals are spending tons of money on total bullshit(mostly themselves), then selling off our good and plenty to the private sector so that when election time comes, morons like yourself buy into the whole, well, we're in the black, they must be doing it right!
__________________
Current fleet:
92 Skyline Gts-T
93 Suzuki Alto Works rs/R
94 JDM GC8
FS:
91 Sambar truck 20k kms. $5800 pm for details.
93 Supercharged Sambar Dias Van 5k kms$7200
h0tSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Hondatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Campus Honda
Posts: 3,019
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interestingly, I went through the results, and found 8(!) ridings where the NDP would have won, if people who voted Green party had voted NDP. Those 8 riding woulda made for an NDP victory. Gord should send Jane Sterk a thank you card
__________________
2001 Infiniti QX4
Hondatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,508
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ataman View Post
Campbell only needed the Vancouver voters. That's where he's always concentrated anyway. He's always screwed over the rest of the province for their benefit.
You can't deny that the majority of infrastructure spending in the prior years and future has gone and is going towards the lower mainland region.

- Golden ears bridge
- Canada (RAV) Line
- Olympics Venues
- South Fraser perimeter road
- Port Mann twinning
- Evergreen Line
- Sea to Sky

Now I haven't been living on the island very long, but I doubt that there have been any projects here in the past 8 years that have been even close to 1/10th the cumulative costs of those projects on the mainland.

You'd think that for all that, we could at least get a train to Duncan a la west coast express style.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: van
Posts: 781
Thanked 324 Times in 104 Posts
its because vancouver island is only full of old ppl ..and old ppl love the NDP
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
Enraged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 7,111
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
There are a few projects on the go I know of, including overpasses on the Pat Bay for the airport turnoff, and an overpass at Mackenzie and Hwy 1. Might not be huge, but better than nothing.

Now if only they could put an overpass at Beacon, Sayward, and Haliburton, we could have an actual highway...
__________________
88 Toyota Supra Turbo.... maybe ready to drive soon.
05 Subaru Legacy GT - for sale
04 Volvo V70R
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Island Mod
 
projectcivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 6,179
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStang View Post
Island is generally a strong point for the NDP. Lots of saw mills, paper mills, big unions now mostly out of work and needing gov't handouts. Also lots of gov't employees, Universities, and old people needing health care.

If you need to suckle off the public teet, Vancouver Island is for you. Truth be told though I am a public sector employee. Just an odd kind that works well in excess of the hours I get paid for, and I bust my ass every day I'm at work.
That is exactly my opinion on why the island is always so much NDP. I maybe completly off here but from my obversation, that majority of the people I have met who were voting NDP where either exactly like you said or they were very left wing thinking but didn't want to waste a vote on the green.
__________________
1993 Civic Si - b18c1
projectcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Black SC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Langvista
Posts: 7,936
Thanked 73 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
That is exactly my opinion on why the island is always so much NDP. I maybe completly off here but from my obversation, that majority of the people I have met who were voting NDP where either exactly like you said or they were very left wing thinking but didn't want to waste a vote on the green.
You and Chris hit the nail right on the head with regards to the original post.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: na
Posts: 656
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You can't deny that the majority of infrastructure spending in the prior years and future has gone and is going towards the lower mainland region.

- Golden ears bridge
- Canada (RAV) Line
- Olympics Venues
- South Fraser perimeter road
- Port Mann twinning
- Evergreen Line
- Sea to Sky

Now I haven't been living on the island very long, but I doubt that there have been any projects here in the past 8 years that have been even close to 1/10th the cumulative costs of those projects on the mainland.

You'd think that for all that, we could at least get a train to Duncan a la west coast express style.
no offense man, but victoria has less people than delta. lower mainland is the focus because thats where the voters are and where all the taxes are coming from. same idea with the national elections...he who wins ontario wins the top post.
Synaptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #20
regulator
 
jigga250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,739
Thanked 250 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptik View Post
no offense man, but victoria has less people than delta. lower mainland is the focus because thats where the voters are and where all the taxes are coming from. same idea with the national elections...he who wins ontario wins the top post.
maybe the CITY of Victoria, but thats only because its a tiny municipality. The capital region (which is what people would consider to be Victoria) is almost 4x the population of Delta.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.HappySilp
^^ I think u seen jeus..... Lol. u shouldn't be scare of jeus.
jigga250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga250 View Post
maybe the CITY of Victoria, but thats only because its a tiny municipality. The capital region (which is what people would consider to be Victoria) is almost 4x the population of Delta.
And that gives you...equivalent to New Westminster?

You also have to consider that we aren't buying stuff because its nice, but making investments for growth. Traditionally, the island is not a growth region.

Eventually, the NDP will form a government. I would suspect that Campbell will not finish his term. He will step down in 2-3 years and his successor will have a year as unelected premier to get his name in the paper. By that time, the economy will be improving to pre-apocalyptic levels. People will feel comfortable in voting NDP. Those of us that don't belong to unions, own a small business or are less than 50 will hang our collective heads in shame and can only sit by and watch the show.

But the important part is, the base that elected the premier will shift from the lower mainland to the island. All the poor and disadvantaged people will get their handouts and expenditures in the lower mainland and low and behold, the island will get a train and some bridges and some other toys to make voting NDP worthwhile.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Da Island mon!
Posts: 1,310
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Historically, BC has generally voted moderate-right... the 90s were odd and we learnt our lesson the hardway about what left-socialism does.

Heath care, cheap tuition, tree hugging, and shit is great when we have jobs... but the NDP will simply drive out business and we'll have 9%+ unemployment again.
__________________
2002 GMC Envoy SLT - Mmm... Heated leather.
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 - The built, bottled, and extremely obnoxious race car err lawn ornament.
2003 Saturn Ion-2 Sedan - Wife's daily driver.
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
Because of all the mills closed down in on the islands??
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostampflee View Post
Historically, BC has generally voted moderate-right... the 90s were odd and we learnt our lesson the hardway about what left-socialism does.

Heath care, cheap tuition, tree hugging, and shit is great when we have jobs... but the NDP will simply drive out business and we'll have 9%+ unemployment again.
I already don't have a job(one that doesn't pay minimum anyway) and tuition is inflating at twice the rate as inflation.

But I'm one of the supporters that thinks throwing money at this recession is a stupid idea NPD wants to spend money thinking it will help. I think we should just suck it up, tuff it out and wait it out. Besides, its not that bad here as it is in the states.

But as it stands, all our goverment parties suck, just pick the one that sucks the least and will do the least harm right now. They can make as many promises as they want long term, but in reality, their terms are only a few years rather then 10 or so, so its hard to acutally follow a plan through when stuff changes ALL the time. But thats life.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
Enraged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 7,111
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleemer View Post
just pick the one that sucks the least and will do the least harm right now.
thats how i voted
__________________
88 Toyota Supra Turbo.... maybe ready to drive soon.
05 Subaru Legacy GT - for sale
04 Volvo V70R
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net