REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Police and ICBC come together for speed limit enforcement

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Speeders are the big targets this time around. ICBC's Nicolas Jimenez says police won't just be 'cherry picking' throughout the areas where people usually drive fast.

He says they'll be using information from ICBC to concentrate enforcement efforts where most accidents happen. "So we can really do intelligence-lead policing, and an intelligence-lead road safety programming."

Jimenez says if you're pulled over, don't pull that "why don't you go after real criminals" approach with the officer. He says with 151 people a year in B.C. killed because of speed, they're really trying to protect public safety.

Jimenez also says most people will admit they go 10 or 15 kilometres over the limit most of the time and think it's harmless. However he points out if you do 80 in a 50 zone, it will take you twice as long to stop. He also mentions speeding usually only gets you there a few minutes faster at most and just isn't worth the risk.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'm bored.

He didn't mention how many people die from violent crime, murders, etc. which is probably not a small number either. Stats anyone?

Yes, it probably takes about twice as long to stop from 80 to 50 (in terms of energy dissipation from a physics standpoint), but i'm sure automotive technology now probably allows most modern cars to go 80-0 at probably about the same time as it took cars 30 years ago to go 50-0. And I'm sure modern brakes can handle a lot more heat before fading, which means that that cars will probably only take 60% longer (ie constant deceleration).

He's right, speeding short distances only saves a few minutes. Speeding on the highways on a long-distance trip on the other hand.. say you go 20 over for 5h. You now covered 100km more than before, which now saved you an hour on a typical 100km/h highway. Now if someone were to go 50 over..

I wonder what Van Dongen would say to all this.

On the flip side, hopefully they'll place traps where it's reasonable (say on Granville), as opposed to at the bottom of hills or right before steep climbs. I'll bet even cops speed in those areas regularly.

Instead of criminalizing 80% of drivers out there, maybe ICBC should do another speed survey and raise limits on the highways where appropriate. It's a joke how highways here are all 80-90 in the city, but as soon as you hit Washington it's 110. Anyone who's travelled east of Abbotsford on Highway 1 knows that the traffic FLOWS at 140. 50-60 in the city during the day is reasonable though imho.

Last edited by slammer111; 05-15-2009 at 04:12 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

If you're doing 80 in a 50 zone you deserve to be pulled over. If your doing 60 in a 50 zone, probably not, or 120 in a 100 zone...probably not. I do know that radar is now usually set up on Highway 15 at about 48th ave. 80 speed limit....what a joke.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I've always wondered if their stats about speed related deaths are numbers that are speed only, or if they include people who are impaired and speeding. Not to say I am against pulling people over who are speeding, but I always question the numbers they throw around.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
He didn't mention how many people die from violent crime, murders, etc. which is probably not a small number either. Stats anyone?
It is a smaller number than 151.

Quote:
On the flip side, hopefully they'll place traps where it's reasonable (say on Granville), as opposed to at the bottom of hills or right before steep climbs.
I've seen traps on King Edward lately, near the schools where you shouldn't be speeding... yet its too easy cause there's little traffic, 2 open lanes, few parked cars, and few distractions.

Quote:
Instead of criminalizing 80% of drivers out there, maybe ICBC should do another speed survey and raise limits on the highways where appropriate. It's a joke how highways here are all 80-90 in the city, but as soon as you hit Washington it's 110. Anyone who's travelled east of Abbotsford on Highway 1 knows that the traffic FLOWS at 140. 50-60 in the city during the day is reasonable though imho.
The traps are going to be setup in the city "where the most accidents happen" which is near intersections. There are no intersections on highways.

While I agree limits should be increased, take a look at the US before you hail them. The limit is 75mph in some states, yet if you're doing 80 you're getting busted, and most traffic flows at 75 cause they know the state troopers give zero leniency. Here there's a 10-20 kmph buffer before you'll get a ticket, and many people drive 20-30 over cause they aren't afraid of the police having little leniency.

I drove across the entire US last fall, I can tell you that few people in the US do more than the speed limit. If you want 110 on highways like the US, be prepared to go 110 and no more.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
I've always wondered if their stats about speed related deaths are numbers that are speed only, or if they include people who are impaired and speeding. Not to say I am against pulling people over who are speeding, but I always question the numbers they throw around.
They include all traffic deaths, including street racing
Most are killed at red lights.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130)

Jimenez says if you're pulled over, don't pull that "why don't you go after real criminals" approach with the officer. He says with 151 people a year in B.C. killed because of speed, they're really trying to protect public safety.

148 of those people were probably impaired as well.

speed alone doesn't kill.

the other thing to mention is those stats are not only speed over the limit, but speed relative to conditions as well. if you are going 40km/h on the coq in the winter, and drive over the cliff, your cause of death will be speed relative to conditions and will count as one of those 151. even though you were doing under half the limit.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #8

God, Speed does NOT kill; Stupidity does

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
God, Speed does NOT kill; Stupidity does
I think speeding goes hand in hand with stupidity
Do they plan on pulling everyone over? Cause nobody EVER goes the speed limit
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Do cops have a right to speed? If I follow the pace of a police car, and the police car is going over speed limit, will I be pulled over? I'd say yes but i dunno, it's kinda power tripping on the police's part as well.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Do cops have a right to speed? If I follow the pace of a police car, and the police car is going over speed limit, will I be pulled over? I'd say yes but i dunno, it's kinda power tripping on the police's part as well.
I'd say since 90% of motor vehicles on the road drive over the speed limit, thats not considered "speeding" in the eyes of a police officer.

Obviously it wouldnt make sense for them to pull you over for going 10 over when they are going 15 over the limit

When I say speeding I mean 30-40 km/h over

But of course the traditional definition of speeding is anything over the limit
This is just how I see it
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

my problem is not that police are catching ppl that are speeding
its their damn attitude towards ppl that are speeding.. they come up to the car like they all boss and like u jsu commit a murder or some shit ... its agod damn speeding ticket have some fucking manners u power hungry assholes
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

it's a scare tactic. If the officer proves his/her point on speeding without the need to be aggressive, then at least they made an effort to make you think about why you were pulled over in the first place. All officers have their own personalities, and well of course, no one likes to be overly yelled at or power tripped over a speeding ticket

They figured if they scare the shit outta you, it would make you think not to do it a second time.

Once spring/summer weather hits, you'll see tons of popo rollin around marked/unmarked with road blocks, road checks and speed traps everywhere.

My theory is just to stay with the flow of traffic. Even though sometimes, you have the odd asshats who drive exactly the speed limit on a 2 lane street with both of them blocking both lanes.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Speed doesn't kill, stupid people/decisions kill.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

the gov't has done a study in 2003 and recommended raising speed limits.
problem is, politicians are too pussy to go through with it given all the propaganda "speed kills" that ICBC has done for years
they don't want to be the one in office if fatality rates go up

here's a somewhat related story
http://www.theprovince.com/technolog...681/story.html
Quote:
"I told you so."

Ian Tootill couldn't help but utter those four little words Friday after news broke that B.C.'s top cop had lost his driver's licence for racking up too many speeding tickets.

"I sent him an e-mail. I don't have a lot of advice for him because he should've taken the advice before," said Tootill, co-founder of the group Safety by Education Not Speed (SENSE).

The "advice" Tootill is referring to is a 2003 report commissioned by the B.C. Liberal government that recommended raising the speed limit on many of the province's highways. Tootill couldn't help but wonder: Would John Van Dongen still be facing such stiff penalty had the B.C. government acted on its own report?

The solicitor-general made the admission Friday that his driver's licence has been suspended for four months following two incidents of excessive speeding.

Van Dongen, who lauded government efforts to crack down on aggressive driving, has given up responsibility for the Insurance Corporation of B.C. and the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles in light of the suspension.

"He's in a bit of a bind because really he's guilty not necessarily of bad driving, but he's probably guilty of hypocrisy," said Tootill.

"You can't go out and tell everybody you're going to have this crackdown on speeders . . . and know you're abusing the speed limit just like the common man."

Tootill argues that incorrectly posted speed limits are a danger, saying a highway designed for speeds of 150 km/h is more dangerous if the limit is 110 km/h.

The 2003 report, titled "Review and Analysis of Posted Speed Limits and Speed Limit Setting Practices in B.C.," recommended raising the speed limit on many of the province's freeways.

Yesterday, a spokesman for Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon said the B.C. Liberals have no plans to raise the speed limit.

Supt. Norm Gaumont, who heads the RCMP "E" division traffic services, is also against raising the speed limit, saying a combination of speed with other factors, such as weather or inattentive driving, is the problem.

Van Dongen, who is running in the riding of Abbotsford South, told reporters Friday that "I am not proud of my driving record."
richee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Anyone watch Global news on channel 11 last night with the film crew + cops on the sea to sky ?

Those 2 bikers they pulled over were 2 giant douchecunts lol. Freaking out on the cops like there is no tomorrow. I gotta give credit to the cop for being so restrained. I woulda made up some BS excuse and arrested his ass.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Do cops have a right to speed?
Yes, but only when required. Their badge allows them to break certain laws to enforce others.

You on the other hand cannot break the law, even if you see a cop doing it.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
sigh..... u look at germany, do they die thousands of ppl each day because of high speed limite?

driving down in the states is a breeze and makes much more sense. HIGHWAYYY means = faster kms

not some 80km/90km bullshit thru out Hwy no.1
wat the hell is that, might as well as lower even more....70km for the win than

120km should be the set limite for hwy

u look at barnet hwy, even gayer. 2 lanes, one for HOV. How the fuck are you suppose to pass people when there is a dumbass mofo driving below speed limite? oh gee i guess i gotta break the law now going into HOV than cut him off

i wonna bitch about driving 50km in the city, but fine if everyone is gonna pansy out im gonna leave this one out of the topic
I can tolerate 50km in city, but fucking make the highway actually more of a highway, not a sloway.
50km city, 110km hwy. DONE
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richee View Post
the gov't has done a study in 2003 and recommended raising speed limits.
problem is, politicians are too pussy to go through with it given all the propaganda "speed kills" that ICBC has done for years
they don't want to be the one in office if fatality rates go up

here's a somewhat related story
http://www.theprovince.com/technolog...681/story.html
speed kills my fucking ass. as long as you aint doing 200km like some stupid moron, it aint killing shit. Not knowing how to drive, signal, and fucking merging kills yes. PLus not knowing how to park.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
However he points out if you do 80 in a 50 zone, it will take you twice as long to stop.
yeah, well, if i do 80 in a 50 zone, my braking distance is still substantially less in my sports car than a regular family sedan/van

flame on!
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I hate when traffic in the fast lane is slower than in the slow lane, on the highway.

GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! It is not your job to regulate the speed of traffic by going slow in the fast lane. Often times slower than the posted speed limit!!

I agree that highway traffic can accommodate higher speeds, and should be raised accordingly. But it's also relative to the driving conditions, as mentioned earlier. In summer, I can cruise on the highway at ~120 Km/h and be fine, but on the same highway in rain, obviously I drive slower, say 90-100 Km/h.

The limit should really be determined by conditions. Isn't that how Germany is? You won't get pulled over for doing 150 on a nice summer day, because conditions can accommodate that speed, but if you tried that on a rainy day, you would get pulled over?
og_greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

They're comparing some really stupid things
151 only sounds like a high number cuz it's a standalone number
so 151 people in about how many people in total in BC die each year?
that can't be compared to murders etc because a lot more people drive, than people who attempt murder
in order for those 2 to be comparable, lets say for example 80% of people in BC drive, then 80% of people in BC also have to attempt murder on a daily basis for the rate of 151 deaths in a year to be comparable to the amount of murders and crap
damn government is just throwing stupid numbers and shit out there
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Speed itself doesn't kill. The 151 deaths are "speed-related" deaths, not "speed caused" deaths. It is the stupidity and poor judgment that kills. Speeding also decreases your overall time on the road and therefore, decreases the percentage of being involved in an accident. If you know your car's limit and you drive below that, I'm sure speed won't kill you. On a bright sunny day, driving 130km/h on a highway is not a big deal at all, especially at night when there is no one on the highway. On a rainy day, however, that's a different story.

I can hypothesize the majority of the 151 deaths occured when: they speed through busy streets (poor judgment), DUI + speeding, poor driving conditions (snow, rain, etc) + speeding, not knowing their car's limit and the car got out of control, etc.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #24

"Jimenez also says most people will admit they go 10 or 15 kilometres over the limit most of the time and think it's harmless. However he points out if you do 80 in a 50 zone, it will take you twice as long to stop."

80 in a 50 zone is 30 over the limit. Not really relevant to 10 or 15 over the limit.

lol, math fail!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
yeah, well, if i do 80 in a 50 zone, my braking distance is still substantially less in my sports car than a regular family sedan/van

flame on!
Bull fucking shit.

Gotta log off as I'm busy, but when I get back I'm going to show you just how fucking stupid your comment is.

BTW, this is the reason we have problems with speeders - it's idiots with sports cars or modified cars that think their car has limits that go well beyond the average car, when in fact you'd be lucky if your vehicle can perform a measly 20% better (discounting acceleration which is always significantly better).
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote