REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   How much are you paying for Shaw? Any discounts or retentions? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575938-how-much-you-paying-shaw-any-discounts-retentions.html)

JulyZerg 05-16-2009 12:53 AM

How much are you paying for Shaw? Any discounts or retentions?

Wow, I just read my Shaw Bill and it's pretty expensive eh.. LOL especially for the stuff I get...IMO..

I have something called an "Entertainment Bundle" -> Total Fairchild Bundle for $65.95 and Shaw High-Speed Internet at $41.95.

That comes to about $118.48 per month. Keep this in mind, I don't have the HD-box/PVR nor do I have ANY HD channels as I only have the old Shaw Digital Terminal(from like 6yrs ago or something)

How much are you guys paying and do you guys have any alternatives? because $42 for High-Speed is BRUTAL or any tricks to get it lower? Cause I know new customers get like $19.95 for 6 months or so then etc etc.

Also have any of you tried calling Shaw and manage to get any retention/discounts/credit's on their bills?

El Bastardo 05-16-2009 12:55 AM

Unless you're living in an area where they compete with Novus they're probably not gonna give you much

Shun Izaki 05-16-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 6425387)
Unless you're living in an area where they compete with Novus they're probably not gonna give you much

BBY is saturated, that's for sure. i'm kinda on the fence about Telus (which is to a certain degree, more guaranteed linespeed), or shaw (which i've known to be goodspeeds).

NimbeeTT 05-16-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard (Post 6425383)
I have something called an "Entertainment Bundle" -> Total Fairchild Bundle for $65.95 and Shaw High-Speed Internet at $41.95.

That comes to about $118.48 per month. Keep this in mind, I don't have the HD-box/PVR nor do I have ANY HD channels as I only have the old Shaw Digital Terminal(from like 6yrs ago or something)

I still live at home so my mom does all the bills and stuff still, but she pays the exact same amount lol Im pretty sure we have the same bundle stuff too and the same digital box lol
it does get pricey but she cant any way around it, cause we cant not have tv (chinese channels for them) or internet :(

lilaznviper 05-16-2009 02:08 PM

i have to exact same deal and its healla expensive

i need a hd/pvr box so i can get some hd channels

eddoe 05-16-2009 04:57 PM

Wow... you guys are getting RIPPED off. I live in East Vancouver, and I have the Fairchild Bundle + Regular Digital Cable + High-Speed Shaw (Bought my box) + Raptors TV for $82 bucks including taxes and everything. I use to pay about $70 but they upped the price a year ago. I have had this discount pretty much for 7 years. I think we got this deal because of a promotion they were having, and we just had to call the Chinese line for Shaw to get it.

I also get all the premium channels for their analog cable service for free but I think it's because they forgot to cut it off when I switched to digital.

rsx 05-16-2009 05:01 PM

$128.xx / month

HD+HD MC and High-Speed. Exepsnive as hell. (They gave me a HD PVR for free)

Leopold Stotch 05-16-2009 05:15 PM

i have the same bundle as you do

but i get it for like 70-80.

i've had the same bundle since 2000.

Soundy 05-16-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard (Post 6425383)
Wow, I just read my Shaw Bill and it's pretty expensive eh.. LOL especially for the stuff I get...IMO..

How much are you guys paying and do you guys have any alternatives? because $42 for High-Speed is BRUTAL or any tricks to get it lower? Cause I know new customers get like $19.95 for 6 months or so then etc etc.

Also have any of you tried calling Shaw and manage to get any retention/discounts/credit's on their bills?

Eh, WTF is "Fairchild Bundle"?

"Basic" digital is only $33.95... regular digital with US timeshifting (eastern channels) is $59.95. Bump it to Full digital + movie channels and Canadian timeshifting (Newfie, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary channels) and you're looking at $74.95. With either package, regular high-speed added on is only $33, or $43 for "Xtreme-I".

Go to http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ng/default.htm and take a look at their bundle offers... then just call them up and tell them you want to switch. Maybe drop the hint that you're considering Telus TV and internet (even if you can't get it... just say it's coming soon to your area and you might want to switch).

turbos86 05-16-2009 06:21 PM

^Fairchild Bundle, that's for the Chinese channels.

matrixfwd 05-16-2009 07:53 PM

doesn't the Fairchild bundle already come with internet? I've got that and it's like $70 or $80. It comes with ch 1-28, internet, and the 2 chinese channels.

alex.w *// 05-16-2009 08:29 PM

Entertainment Bundle
Basic Fairchild Talent & Internet 78.95

Internet Service
High-Speed Xtreme-I 10.00
Purchased Modem Discount -5.00

Phone Service
Digital Phone $20.95

Jonydakiller 05-16-2009 08:41 PM

total fairchild has full cable instead of basic cable, hence more expensive than what you all have -> basic + fairchild....

og_greek 05-16-2009 09:13 PM

How can I get a HDPVR box for free or reduced price?

lilaznviper 05-16-2009 11:03 PM

im wondering the samething right now

Razor Ramon HG 05-16-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by og_greek (Post 6426137)
How can I get a HDPVR box for free or reduced price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 6426223)
im wondering the samething right now

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...highlight=shaw

misteranswer 05-16-2009 11:49 PM

Call them, tell them Bell is offering you whatever and see what they say.

TekDragon 05-17-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

for those who were asking if Shaw would do the same, i can tell you guys not to bother. Shaw doesnt rent any HD terminal (which is a shame because i have an HDTV but can't justify the price for an HD terminal). Also i've found that Shaw has a "go ahead cancel, you'll come crawling back to us anyway" attitude towards cancelations. I work for Shaw and i've spoken with our "save" dept and they only remind the customer of all the great Shaw services they're getting (local channel, Shaw tv (ugh this channel sucks so bad), Shaw Messenger (who uses that anyway?), Shaw picture share, Shaw Secure (aka almost as bad as Norton), etc etc etc) and that's pretty much it. i've seen maybe one or two account that managed to get 29.99 for SHSI but they were mostly account with already over $120+ of cable services (and they didnt get any discount for their cable...)

My mom was thinking of switching to Bell (which i encouraged) but she wont be able to because she needs 7 outlets.....
Found on page 11 of that thread. No way am I spending tonight going through almost 200 pages of that.

Cman333 05-17-2009 11:15 AM

I went through this recently.

They didn't give me anything particularly awesome. I followed the redflag thread and tried it. Even cancelled, they forwarded me to a bunch of ppl, but end result was I didn't get shit. I told them I was gonna use bell and see if they could match their price. But they called my bluff I think because my building doesn't allow sat dishes.

It's easier to get things if youre an existing customer from another network. They'll bend over backwards to steal business, but do nothing to keep it.

MikeyStyle 05-17-2009 12:11 PM

well.. you can always rent a hd digital box if you wanted

Soundy 05-17-2009 01:04 PM

I don't think Shaw does rentals on the HD boxes, although you can do a rent-to-own type payment plan.

shenmecar 05-17-2009 01:13 PM

Mine is like around there too.

are you a student?

If you are then you can buy the student package. Its the same stuff but you have to prepay for it for, i dunno, 8 months at a time i think. It is a lot cheaper though. Ask the shaw customer service people about it.

sh0n 05-17-2009 06:54 PM

I'm in the same boat as well my bill is pretty high these days

Currently I have

2 Boxes (1 HDPVR and 1 Digital Terminal) - Got it rental free for 6 months currently have an option to buy it for $298
Digital TV
HD Channels Plus no movies though
High Speed Internet

Use to be $85 tax in monthly but my promotional discounts have expired so I'm paying about $117 tax in

Since I already tried to pull a retention deal I am really on the last legs trying to get a better package and/or better pricing

Any ideas?

punkwax 05-17-2009 07:05 PM

$220/mo :fuuuuu:

BlackRCode 05-18-2009 12:37 AM

threatened to switch to Telus TV and got a free HD PVR out of it! :) mission accomplished!!