REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Six-Week Bench Press Cure (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576199-six-week-bench-press-cure.html)

hal0g0dv2 05-18-2009 10:07 PM

Six-Week Bench Press Cure

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

pretty good read, very interesting stuff in there, some of the stuff he says i already do, but some of the other tips and stuff he talks about on how to up your bench is great.

here is the video if u do not want go on t-nation also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6...layer_embedded

BlackV62K2 05-18-2009 11:35 PM

Nice. My bench sucks....so I'll try some of this next time I bench.

chr1s 05-19-2009 06:44 PM

good post;.. ty

Berzerker 05-19-2009 07:49 PM

Whats interesting is that he seems to support arching your back and creating good base for yourself but common practice is to keep your back solid to the bench and NOT arch it.

I wonder if this tequnique is simply for increasing the amount you can lift or actually building sculped chest muscles. There is a very large differnce in the builds of power lifters and body builders so I guess you have to choose your path and figure out whats more important to you personally....

Berz out.

BlackV62K2 05-20-2009 04:30 AM

^ Actually most videos I've seen about bench pressing techiques says to have an arch back and shoulder blades tucked in. Ass and shoulders should be touching the bench.

hal0g0dv2 05-20-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6429488)
Whats interesting is that he seems to support arching your back and creating good base for yourself but common practice is to keep your back solid to the bench and NOT arch it.

I wonder if this tequnique is simply for increasing the amount you can lift or actually building sculped chest muscles. There is a very large differnce in the builds of power lifters and body builders so I guess you have to choose your path and figure out whats more important to you personally....

Berz out.

i think they are going for power, cause like they talk about doing 600 pound/ 800 pound bench, i don't think people can rep that kind of stuff so more of a power build

xtacy777 05-20-2009 11:23 PM

agree with above ^

jakobi 05-22-2009 06:38 PM

you can still build big chest using powerlifting style which is a right way to bench....

and flat bench is a horrible chest builder...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6429488)

Berz out.

stealth604 05-22-2009 10:30 PM

so whats a good way then? decline bench?

xtacy777 05-23-2009 03:05 PM

depends on the type of chest you want to build

penner2k 05-24-2009 03:37 PM

I cringe whenever I see someone benching with their feet actually right off the ground.

hal0g0dv2 05-24-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6435373)
I cringe whenever I see someone benching with their feet actually right off the ground.

ya same, looks horrible

L0uie69 05-24-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealth604 (Post 6433666)
so whats a good way then? decline bench?

flat and decline work the same

jakobi 05-25-2009 06:25 PM

type of chest? you mean shape?
shape is purely genetics......

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacy777 (Post 6434338)
depends on the type of chest you want to build

hal0g0dv2 05-30-2009 11:58 AM

i tried this method that this dude talks about and i must say it does work, if you keep your body really tight elbows in and such, i found i could do more weight, maybe it is just in my head but i found that i could more on my max.

winks 05-30-2009 05:33 PM

interesting

JSilver 06-02-2009 08:18 AM

Agreed. I tried followed this technique compared to my sloppy way and it works pretty well. I was even able to add another 40lbs to my press.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6444219)
i tried this method that this dude talks about and i must say it does work, if you keep your body really tight elbows in and such, i found i could do more weight, maybe it is just in my head but i found that i could more on my max.

B-DiZzLe 06-02-2009 09:07 PM

ok so, when the bar is going down my elbows should be tucked close to my body? But isn't that not a straight line when your elbows are lower towards your feet than your wrist? When I hear tuck your elbows in, I picture elbows at hips.

Then when pushing up I flare my elbows out? How far should I be flareing out, in line with my shoulders?

What i'm getting from this is I should be tucking my elbows close towards my hips when bringing the bar down towards the chest and when pushing up I should flare it straight out?

hal0g0dv2 06-02-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6449026)
ok so, when the bar is going down my elbows should be tucked close to my body? But isn't that not a straight line when your elbows are lower towards your feet than your wrist? When I hear tuck your elbows in, I picture elbows at hips.

Then when pushing up I flare my elbows out? How far should I be flareing out, in line with my shoulders?

What i'm getting from this is I should be tucking my elbows close towards my hips when bringing the bar down towards the chest and when pushing up I should flare it straight out?

ya it is kind of confusing the video, i find that it helps if you have a spot take the weight off the rack, this way your posture does not go out of whack and you can keep your body tight, i find when i bench i keep my body realyyyyyy TIGHT and shoulders tight, also drill your legs into the ground, a lot of people do not realize that your legs have lots to do with bench. also grip the bar hard not some pussy grip.

B-DiZzLe 06-02-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6449136)
ya it is kind of confusing the video, i find that it helps if you have a spot take the weight off the rack, this way your posture does not go out of whack and you can keep your body tight, i find when i bench i keep my body realyyyyyy TIGHT and shoulders tight, also drill your legs into the ground, a lot of people do not realize that your legs have lots to do with bench. also grip the bar hard not some pussy grip.

I'm just confused with the elbows, I just want to know what he means when he says keep your elbows close. Keeping the elbows close to what?

So basically your elbows should be in different places when going down and going up?

hal0g0dv2 06-02-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6449159)
I'm just confused with the elbows, I just want to know what he means when he says keep your elbows close. Keeping the elbows close to what?

So basically your elbows should be in different places when going down and going up?

kinda i mean its fucking hard to keep your elbows like to your side when doing bench, i have tried to like keep them tucked in like a mofo and it is way harder and i find i cant do as much weight, so yes my elbows are in different locations when doing bench regular, but maybe if u try this dudes method for 6 weeks you might find a cure? i don't know what your goal is, these guys are doing like 600/800 pound bench lol i don't think i will be doing that anytime soon

B-DiZzLe 06-02-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6449218)
kinda i mean its fucking hard to keep your elbows like to your side when doing bench, i have tried to like keep them tucked in like a mofo and it is way harder and i find i cant do as much weight, so yes my elbows are in different locations when doing bench regular, but maybe if u try this dudes method for 6 weeks you might find a cure? i don't know what your goal is, these guys are doing like 600/800 pound bench lol i don't think i will be doing that anytime soon

Yah I've tried it twice but tucking in the elbows thing feels weird and pulling the bar off the J-hooks seem impossible.

rslater 06-03-2009 06:54 PM

Ok so did anyone read the 6 week step?

Why does he never allow you to max rep on a proper bench press? Their all floor presses, or 2-board presses?

I find it odd that you never max your weight on an actual bench press. All his bench press exercises are dynamic movements.

Berzerker 06-03-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6444219)

I completly agree... you just feel more... SOLID on the bench. My workout partner and I both did everything he suggested and even if I didn't lift more than normal I FELT more solid and the push FELT more complete.

Pulling the bar forward instead of lifting it off the rack is one thing that makes a huge difference. If anything I will be doing that from now on. The only shitty part is that I have long arms and am fairly tall and my partners reach is not nearly the same so for me to pull it off rather than push it up to start I have to set the starting poing a notch higher on the bench so it's a bit of a pain in the ass as my partner does not have enough reach to remove the bar from the height that works the best for me.

My chest felt more "worked" than normal though after using his method as I think it forces your chest to actually do all the work instead of recruiting other muscles.

Berz out.

Berzerker 06-03-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6449306)
Yah I've tried it twice but tucking in the elbows thing feels weird and pulling the bar off the J-hooks seem impossible.

You gotta use a bench with nothing in front of the bar. Just angled straight rods to set the barbell on. If your using a bench with hooks to keep the bar in place your not going to be able to pull it off at all. Shitty.

Berz out.