REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Six-Week Bench Press Cure

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

pretty good read, very interesting stuff in there, some of the stuff he says i already do, but some of the other tips and stuff he talks about on how to up your bench is great.

here is the video if u do not want go on t-nation also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6...layer_embedded
Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Nice. My bench sucks....so I'll try some of this next time I bench.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

good post;.. ty
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Whats interesting is that he seems to support arching your back and creating good base for yourself but common practice is to keep your back solid to the bench and NOT arch it.

I wonder if this tequnique is simply for increasing the amount you can lift or actually building sculped chest muscles. There is a very large differnce in the builds of power lifters and body builders so I guess you have to choose your path and figure out whats more important to you personally....

Berz out.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

^ Actually most videos I've seen about bench pressing techiques says to have an arch back and shoulder blades tucked in. Ass and shoulders should be touching the bench.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Whats interesting is that he seems to support arching your back and creating good base for yourself but common practice is to keep your back solid to the bench and NOT arch it.

I wonder if this tequnique is simply for increasing the amount you can lift or actually building sculped chest muscles. There is a very large differnce in the builds of power lifters and body builders so I guess you have to choose your path and figure out whats more important to you personally....

Berz out.
i think they are going for power, cause like they talk about doing 600 pound/ 800 pound bench, i don't think people can rep that kind of stuff so more of a power build
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

agree with above ^
Old 05-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #8

you can still build big chest using powerlifting style which is a right way to bench....

and flat bench is a horrible chest builder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Berz out.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

so whats a good way then? decline bench?
stealth604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

depends on the type of chest you want to build
Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I cringe whenever I see someone benching with their feet actually right off the ground.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
I cringe whenever I see someone benching with their feet actually right off the ground.
ya same, looks horrible
Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth604 View Post
so whats a good way then? decline bench?
flat and decline work the same
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #14

type of chest? you mean shape?
shape is purely genetics......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacy777 View Post
depends on the type of chest you want to build
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
RS Operative (G)

i tried this method that this dude talks about and i must say it does work, if you keep your body really tight elbows in and such, i found i could do more weight, maybe it is just in my head but i found that i could more on my max.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

interesting
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Agreed. I tried followed this technique compared to my sloppy way and it works pretty well. I was even able to add another 40lbs to my press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
i tried this method that this dude talks about and i must say it does work, if you keep your body really tight elbows in and such, i found i could do more weight, maybe it is just in my head but i found that i could more on my max.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

ok so, when the bar is going down my elbows should be tucked close to my body? But isn't that not a straight line when your elbows are lower towards your feet than your wrist? When I hear tuck your elbows in, I picture elbows at hips.

Then when pushing up I flare my elbows out? How far should I be flareing out, in line with my shoulders?

What i'm getting from this is I should be tucking my elbows close towards my hips when bringing the bar down towards the chest and when pushing up I should flare it straight out?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
ok so, when the bar is going down my elbows should be tucked close to my body? But isn't that not a straight line when your elbows are lower towards your feet than your wrist? When I hear tuck your elbows in, I picture elbows at hips.

Then when pushing up I flare my elbows out? How far should I be flareing out, in line with my shoulders?

What i'm getting from this is I should be tucking my elbows close towards my hips when bringing the bar down towards the chest and when pushing up I should flare it straight out?
ya it is kind of confusing the video, i find that it helps if you have a spot take the weight off the rack, this way your posture does not go out of whack and you can keep your body tight, i find when i bench i keep my body realyyyyyy TIGHT and shoulders tight, also drill your legs into the ground, a lot of people do not realize that your legs have lots to do with bench. also grip the bar hard not some pussy grip.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #20

Quote:
ya it is kind of confusing the video, i find that it helps if you have a spot take the weight off the rack, this way your posture does not go out of whack and you can keep your body tight, i find when i bench i keep my body realyyyyyy TIGHT and shoulders tight, also drill your legs into the ground, a lot of people do not realize that your legs have lots to do with bench. also grip the bar hard not some pussy grip.
I'm just confused with the elbows, I just want to know what he means when he says keep your elbows close. Keeping the elbows close to what?

So basically your elbows should be in different places when going down and going up?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #21
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
I'm just confused with the elbows, I just want to know what he means when he says keep your elbows close. Keeping the elbows close to what?

So basically your elbows should be in different places when going down and going up?
kinda i mean its fucking hard to keep your elbows like to your side when doing bench, i have tried to like keep them tucked in like a mofo and it is way harder and i find i cant do as much weight, so yes my elbows are in different locations when doing bench regular, but maybe if u try this dudes method for 6 weeks you might find a cure? i don't know what your goal is, these guys are doing like 600/800 pound bench lol i don't think i will be doing that anytime soon
Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #22

Quote:
kinda i mean its fucking hard to keep your elbows like to your side when doing bench, i have tried to like keep them tucked in like a mofo and it is way harder and i find i cant do as much weight, so yes my elbows are in different locations when doing bench regular, but maybe if u try this dudes method for 6 weeks you might find a cure? i don't know what your goal is, these guys are doing like 600/800 pound bench lol i don't think i will be doing that anytime soon

Yah I've tried it twice but tucking in the elbows thing feels weird and pulling the bar off the J-hooks seem impossible.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Ok so did anyone read the 6 week step?

Why does he never allow you to max rep on a proper bench press? Their all floor presses, or 2-board presses?

I find it odd that you never max your weight on an actual bench press. All his bench press exercises are dynamic movements.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
Ricer Mod

Quote:

I completly agree... you just feel more... SOLID on the bench. My workout partner and I both did everything he suggested and even if I didn't lift more than normal I FELT more solid and the push FELT more complete.

Pulling the bar forward instead of lifting it off the rack is one thing that makes a huge difference. If anything I will be doing that from now on. The only shitty part is that I have long arms and am fairly tall and my partners reach is not nearly the same so for me to pull it off rather than push it up to start I have to set the starting poing a notch higher on the bench so it's a bit of a pain in the ass as my partner does not have enough reach to remove the bar from the height that works the best for me.

My chest felt more "worked" than normal though after using his method as I think it forces your chest to actually do all the work instead of recruiting other muscles.

Berz out.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #25
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Yah I've tried it twice but tucking in the elbows thing feels weird and pulling the bar off the J-hooks seem impossible.

You gotta use a bench with nothing in front of the bar. Just angled straight rods to set the barbell on. If your using a bench with hooks to keep the bar in place your not going to be able to pull it off at all. Shitty.

Berz out.