REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Grouse Grind Challenge (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577390-grouse-grind-challenge.html)

achiam 05-29-2009 03:20 AM

Grouse Grind Challenge

Hey guys!
I'm thinking of joining the Grouse Grind Challenge this year, and was wondering if anyone here has done it? Also feel free to post your best times!
My PB 3 yrs ago was 47m; if I remember correctly

BlackV62K2 05-29-2009 03:41 AM

Damn that's pretty good. My best was around 1h 10min.

hamsup 05-29-2009 07:55 AM

Are you talking about seek the peak ?

RayBot 05-29-2009 07:58 AM

i will be trying it for the very first time sometime soon

SizzleChest 05-29-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6442562)
i will be trying it for the very first time sometime soon

don't try and be a hero the first time. most first timers hit the wall within 10-15 minutes. start a slow-to-moderate walking pace and if you can make it to the 1/2 way mark without stopping, increase your pace then.

I set my personal record this past monday - 47:36. I still can't comprehend how some elite grinders are capable of finishing in the mid to high 20s.

i've found that my 10k run time and my grouse grind time are within 60 seconds of each other. i'm curious if any other runners are in the same boat.

Volvo-brickster 05-29-2009 06:28 PM

remember the whole 43ma a while back? lol

achiam 06-01-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsup (Post 6442558)
Are you talking about seek the peak ?

I think so! I haven't been in Vancouver during September for about 3 years now though; so the name may have changed

achiam 06-01-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzleChest (Post 6443208)
don't try and be a hero the first time. most first timers hit the wall within 10-15 minutes. start a slow-to-moderate walking pace and if you can make it to the 1/2 way mark without stopping, increase your pace then.

I set my personal record this past monday - 47:36. I still can't comprehend how some elite grinders are capable of finishing in the mid to high 20s.

i've found that my 10k run time and my grouse grind time are within 60 seconds of each other. i'm curious if any other runners are in the same boat.

holy crap you're right. My sun run time was 51min something seconds; quite close!

There was a time around 2004 that I'd often do the GG alone early on Saturday mornings. I realized that the 1st quarter obviously took the longest, as my heart and muscles were still getting up to speed. I found that by doing a short run before doing the Grind (about 3 km), dramatically cut down the lag of the 1st quarter. Kinda like turbo lag lol.

Chairman Kaga 06-01-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

I remember one of my teachers in high school averaged ~26-32 minutes each time he did the grind. He took us on a field trip and he zoomed past everybody like crazy haha

SizzleChest 06-01-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 6446955)
I found that by doing a short run before doing the Grind (about 3 km), dramatically cut down the lag of the 1st quarter. Kinda like turbo lag lol.

i should try that next time i go up.

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 06-02-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 6446952)
I think so! I haven't been in Vancouver during September for about 3 years now though; so the name may have changed

Seek the Peak is from Ambleside to the peak of Grouse, held in July.
Grouse Grind Mountain Run is the Grind only, held in September I believe.

Armind 06-02-2009 07:25 AM

Fuck, my buddy is dragging me along soon.. will be my very first time and i'm not fit. FML

RayBot 06-02-2009 01:55 PM

I have officially lost my Grouse Grind virginity!!!

just did this about 2 hours ago...first time attempt of doing anything of such a physical endurance.

62 minutes. But wow....feels so good.

I'll be up there again in about a couple of weeks to try to get it below 60.

SizzleChest 06-02-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6448445)
I have officially lost my Grouse Grind virginity!!!

just did this about 2 hours ago...first time attempt of doing anything of such a physical endurance.

62 minutes. But wow....feels so good.

I'll be up there again in about a couple of weeks to try to get it below 60.

it should be pretty easy to knock 5 minutes or so off your first time. you did check your watch when you got to the timer and not just the clearing, right?

RayBot 06-02-2009 03:01 PM

Thats correct dude. Actually as a matter of fact, a friend who was carrying the watch and finished prior told me to run to the finish marker before he told me the time.

But that advice was given to me in the beginning was something i should have taken to heart. "Don't be a hero."

My friend ran up at the begining, and i followed....big mistake. After two minutes, it actually felt like a knockout punch to the gut. So, the first quarter was more difficult than i imagined. But if i didn't act like a pro-star in the begining and just did a heavy pace, i know i could have done it in less than hour.

I'l repost a time in two weeks.

hamsup 06-03-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

wow.. that is very impressive.. i think my personal best has been around 56 minutes or so... hahaa...

The elite grinders who finish in around 25ish minutes jog to the half way mark.. then walk the rest.... this guy at the gym used to go 3 times a week... he looks like the bloody transporter.. hahahaha !!!

SizzleChest 06-17-2009 02:38 PM

46:09 this past monday. if i keep knocking down my personal bests like this, i should be close to 40:00 by the end of the season.

maxx 06-17-2009 03:48 PM

42 mins

Wormiez 06-17-2009 05:00 PM

43MA

sdubfid 06-18-2009 03:52 PM

First 3 times this year 60min then 56min and now 54min. I can get a good 1st half or a good 2nd half but never all together haha.

SizzleChest 06-24-2009 01:11 AM

A new record has been set for the most times anyone has climbed North Vancouver's gruelling Grouse Grind trail in a single day.

Around 11 p.m. PT Monday night, Vancouver realtor Sebastian Albrecht reached the top of the rocky trail for the 13th time since he started at 7 a.m.

After completing the final climb in the dark, a weary Albrecht told CBC News it had been a challenging day.

"Once I got past 10 it was easier psychologically because I knew I was really close to my goal. Physically, it was a lot more difficult because my body was starting to give out. And 12 and 13 were painful," he said.

The 2.9-kilometre trail runs from the Grouse Mountain gondola base station in North Vancouver up to the ski lodge perched on the edge of the mountain overlooking all of Metro Vancouver.

With an average grade of 30 degrees, the popular trail has earned the nickname "nature's Stairmaster" among local fitness buffs.

Average hikers struggle up the route in about an hour and a half, while the unofficial record is 24 minutes and 22 seconds. Albrecht averaged about 50 minutes per climb, catching his breath and eating between climbs, and taking the tram down.
13,000 calories

The previous record, which Albrecht shared with Jason Chong, was 12 summits in a day. The exertion required is tremendous, Chong told CBC News.

"You have to buckle down pretty much. Most endurance athletes will tell you it becomes more mental as it goes on," he said.

Albrecht burned an estimated 13,000 calories by the time the day was over. His energy needs were looked after by a dedicated supply team: his mother Johanna Albrecht.

"I have brown rice with grilled chicken breast and greens; dark, dark greens," she told CBC News. She also supplied 24 muffins, 24 containers of energy drink and five pounds of bananas for her son to consume during the climb.

Albrecht has always been determined, according to his mother, who noted her son had extra motivation for the climb — he had wanted to raise $10,000 dollars for the Shelter Foundation, a charity that provides safe homes for women and children.

"Getting up to 10 was tough because I really had to think about why I was doing it, and knowing my goal was motivated by the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, a good cause," said Albrecht.

He raised more than $4,300 by the end of the run, but is still collecting donations on his website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ecord-set.html

Dat 06-24-2009 04:54 AM

damn, that's ridiculous.

Gumby 06-24-2009 08:21 AM

I don't even think I could do 2 in a row...

RayBot 06-24-2009 04:44 PM

Sure its great....but it sounds like the acheivement was more of a self-promo..u know, real estate. Theres guys that do the grouse grind with ease.....im sure they can do it too....if they wanted to just for the hell of it.

l4d2_sarge 06-24-2009 06:15 PM

crazy