REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make/model emblems, mandatory?

Hello I'm brand new on revscene, I joined mostly because I'd like to browse the classifieds regarding parts for my 2001 Honda Prelude SE.

My question is this: Are people legally required to have the OEM brand/model markings, emblems and badges displayed on their car? Or is it legal to take them all off?
Advertisement
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 604
Posts: 1,049
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
AFAIK there is no restriction on removing make/model badges etc.

Don't screw around with the VIN though.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
AFAIK there is no restriction on removing make/model badges etc.

Don't screw around with the VIN though.
This is good advice.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
If you have no badging to identify the car...or have substituted badges from another car to make it look "cooler"...yes I DID stop a Fiero with a Ferrari 308 body kit on it...you may find yourself at roadside for a while till the Cop is satisfied that he has the right vehicle named on the resgistration.....wich is nothing when compared with the scorn from fellow drivers who know your Sprint with a Lambo door kit, is NOT a Lambo!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
AFAIK there is no restriction on removing make/model badges etc.

Don't screw around with the VIN though.
Yes I'm not an idiot thanks for the info.

And no, I'm not contemplating putting another car's emblems on mine to make it look "cooler", just taking some off.
That's hilarious about the Fiero with Ferrari markings.
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!
 
Inaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MoI
Posts: 6,552
Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
Not as bad as the neon with the Ferrari emblems imo.

Other than the two rx7 badges on the sides, my car is de-badged (previous owner). My brother's fc is also de-badged. Never had a problem with it, even when we were stopped.
__________________
"Can you match my resolve? If so then you will succeed. I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavour to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." -- Monty Oum

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 128
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If you have no badging to identify the car...or have substituted badges from another car to make it look "cooler"...yes I DID stop a Fiero with a Ferrari 308 body kit on it...you may find yourself at roadside for a while till the Cop is satisfied that he has the right vehicle named on the resgistration.....wich is nothing when compared with the scorn from fellow drivers who know your Sprint with a Lambo door kit, is NOT a Lambo!
so the owner did not have the car registered as a kit car? With such drastic body modifications would he not have to have the vehicle inspected and re-registered as a kit car? I could imagine the hassle and headache that would cause to have to deal with that. Surrey must be full of those bondo-wannabe-abominations..
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
vash13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 543
Thanked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Only thing I see problematic with debadging is if you get towed. The tow truck driver might not be sure whether your car will be AWD or FWD since there is no badging.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
There was a company that sold the conversion kits. Just outer body panels...different fenders, trunk, hood etc. Not big enough a mod to require a re-inspection. Not much different than the body kits available now for Ricers.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
AVS_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,592
Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
just wondering what if your car is debaged and u get a parking ticket and its made out incorrectly (make, model) is it still valid?
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
vash13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 543
Thanked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
just wondering what if your car is debaged and u get a parking ticket and its made out incorrectly (make, model) is it still valid?
.... parking tickets are made to your license plate not year and model of the car.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thanks for all the info guys.
HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
optiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,191
Thanked 274 Times in 135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Only thing I see problematic with debadging is if you get towed. The tow truck driver might not be sure whether your car will be AWD or FWD since there is no badging.

That's why mine stay on! not taking the risk!
__________________
Badminton Forums
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why is it that you need to take them off.. i mean i understand that it looks cool and i know you're not purposely trying to do anything bad/illegal/whatever

my point is that what if someone were to get hit and run ( i dont mean by you) by a car with removed badges/improper badges like a g35 with the skyline badge on it and then they go to describe the car to the police... well it was a nissan skyline.....yeah those are two completely different cars.....
r.attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 93
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.attack View Post
why is it that you need to take them off.. i mean i understand that it looks cool and i know you're not purposely trying to do anything bad/illegal/whatever

my point is that what if someone were to get hit and run ( i dont mean by you) by a car with removed badges/improper badges like a g35 with the skyline badge on it and then they go to describe the car to the police... well it was a nissan skyline.....yeah those are two completely different cars.....
If it happens to you, I doubt you will try to read the detail info on the car instead of the obvious ones. So lets say a white G35 with Nissan and Skyline badge. That car did a hit and run on your car. Most people will just call it a "white import sedan with license plate xxx xxx". Only those that knows about cars will be able to identify cars by make and model.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.attack View Post
why is it that you need to take them off..
So your GT-R drivin' buddies won't know you're actually rolling an AE86
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,502
Thanked 2,593 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.attack View Post
why is it that you need to take them off..
Why is the sky blue?

Some people don't like extraneous pieces of plastic and trim on their car, they like things to look clean.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN
 
!SG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,459
Thanked 2,177 Times in 614 Posts
haha, i can see you writting on the ticket right now under the "make and model section"

LAMBORG... (scratched out)

Nope, just another Sprint (in replaced writting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If you have no badging to identify the car...or have substituted badges from another car to make it look "cooler"...yes I DID stop a Fiero with a Ferrari 308 body kit on it...you may find yourself at roadside for a while till the Cop is satisfied that he has the right vehicle named on the resgistration.....wich is nothing when compared with the scorn from fellow drivers who know your Sprint with a Lambo door kit, is NOT a Lambo!
__________________
"It Takes a Big Man to Admit to His Own Faults... But It Takes a Bigger Man to Blame it on The Other F*cker!"
(Resident Asshole) Executive...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
REV Competition | JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Drive Hard Performance | the Blackmarkers Clothing | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
If it happens to you, I doubt you will try to read the detail info on the car instead of the obvious ones. So lets say a white G35 with Nissan and Skyline badge. That car did a hit and run on your car. Most people will just call it a "white import sedan with license plate xxx xxx". Only those that knows about cars will be able to identify cars by make and model.
well put i guess that is true.. i guess im just not a fan of people renaming their cars something else

and as long as you've still got the license plate you're good... although then there are the real dummies who get rid of that too
r.attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
haha, i can see you writting on the ticket right now under the "make and model section"

LAMBORG... (scratched out)

Nope, just another Sprint (in replaced writting)
How the hell do you get a speeding ticket in a Sprint???

You know, I bought a Sprint once.

Well... I didn't actually BUY it... it came in a Happy Meal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #21
retired
 
Truenosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,597
Thanked 153 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Only thing I see problematic with debadging is if you get towed. The tow truck driver might not be sure whether your car will be AWD or FWD since there is no badging.
If those certain tow drivers would take two seconds to look under the car, they would be able to see the layout of the car, its plain and simple.

If unsure, just have all 4 wheels off the road when towing.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 128
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
If those certain tow drivers would take two seconds to look under the car, they would be able to see the layout of the car, its plain and simple.

If unsure, just have all 4 wheels off the road when towing.
You would think someone who tows cars for a living would know what car is AWD, RWD, and FWD......or as buddy said just take a look for the drive shaft or front transfer case..its pretty dam obvious..
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #23
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Straight rear axle and no drive shaft = FWD. Even some of the tow truck drivers I have met can figure THAT out.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 128
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Straight rear axle and no drive shaft = FWD. Even some of the tow truck drivers I have met can figure THAT out.
yeaaaaa....how many people drive around straight rear axle???
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,506
Thanked 102 Times in 61 Posts
Some cars actually have a tag on the dash to indicate it's AWD. The Mazdaspeed6 has that on it's dash to let tow truck drivers know that it's AWD and that it should be towed on a flatbed.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net