REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
I would gladly take the skytrain to downtown, IF IT RAN 24 HRS. what the hell is up w/ removing spots. ridiculous.
The mighty Hong Kong MTR does not run 24 hours, nor do the systems in London or Paris. Skytrain already runs until 1 AM most nights. If you're downtown beyond that time, take a cab home after a night at the bar.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #52
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

the new york metro system in the only one in the world to run 24/7.

vancouver needs a proper transit system or a proper highway system with an abundance of parking. the latter being the ugliest and most polluting option.

i live downtown and love the ability to walk everywhere and not have the need to drive unless i am going out of the city or buying a large amount of groceries. i also work in vancouver and could take the public transit to work but i choose not too. right now unless you live or work near a major bus route or skytrain route, taking transit in a pain in the ass. there are too many bus transfers, the buses do not come frequent enough, there needs to be 4 times as many skytrain stations and the cost keeps going up.

its unfair to compare vancouver to a city like new york because of population/funding and other reason but even with their new price hike it is still cheaper than vancouver transit. also this zone shit needs to go, that right there is a huge deterrent for a lot of people i know that live in suburbs. i remember talking the bus to school when it was only $0.50, now its 5x that and to me the service has not changed/improved enough to make it work my $2.50+.

there are train tracks that are rusting away around the lower mainland and others that are only use for cargo, there needs to be cheap intercity transport setup on those tracks too. they are already there, make more west coast express like services going into every city. i have declined jobs far out in surrey because the drive was too far and if i had to take public transit it would be a skytrain ride plus 3 buses on the other end, i dont want to loose 3 hours of my life commuting everyday, if so i would be better off living in california sitting in traffic.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
its unfair to compare vancouver to a city like new york because of population/funding and other reason but even with their new price hike it is still cheaper than vancouver transit. also this zone shit needs to go, that right there is a huge deterrent for a lot of people i know that live in suburbs. i remember talking the bus to school when it was only $0.50, now its 5x that and to me the service has not changed/improved enough to make it work my $2.50+.
Inflation, rising petro costs, and rising wages are to blame. Remember, you make more money now too (at least, so I hope.) Other systems have a more precise method of calculating your fares based on how far you travel. New York is an old city and their metro was built years ago when labour costs were lower. Our system is relatively new and whenever we want to build an extension, it costs us an arm and a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
there are train tracks that are rusting away around the lower mainland and others that are only use for cargo, there needs to be cheap intercity transport setup on those tracks too. they are already there, make more west coast express like services going into every city. i have declined jobs far out in surrey because the drive was too far and if i had to take public transit it would be a skytrain ride plus 3 buses on the other end, i dont want to loose 3 hours of my life commuting everyday, if so i would be better off living in california sitting in traffic.
Translink would have to negotiate for the right to use those tracks with CN, CPR, etc. I'm sure it's been explored and I'm sure it would be a total nightmare to pursue - sharing agreements are not easy to negotiate. Blame the bureaucrats for that one (though I'm one myself and I understand how hard it is to get different organizations to work together.)
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #54
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
lol what?
driving leads to co2 accumulation in the atmosphere. which increases the mean temperature of the earth. however, one can argue the negative feedback loop with cloud cover, since an increase in mean earth temp increases cloud cover which deflects the energy from the sun from hitting our planet.

CO2 is the significant factor to why the earth was 10-20 degrees cooler during the mesozoic. and because of alot of mechanism, cloud cover was not enough to cool the planet

and what are we supposed to do to help stop the depletion of fossil fuels? we have to stop using them.. lol.. ie. stop driving?

i agree i do not like robertson, but you need to get your facts strait.
BNR32 doesn't believe in Global Warming..just fyi.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #55
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

feels like my whole pay cheque is going towards this city

i cant save shit lol
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
and rising wages are to blame. Remember, you make more money now too
I don't think wages increased even close to the same ratio as transit fares.

It was only a few years ago that a single zone was $2.00, now it's $2.50.

I don't know anyone that got a 25% raise in their wages over the last few years.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #57
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Man taking the bus used to be $.75 for 1 zone its $2.50 now....
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #58
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Man taking the bus used to be $.75 for 1 zone its $2.50 now....
I wish my salary increased relative to that... lol
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #59
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Actually, the demand for parking spaces is relatively inelastic. Judging from major cities like Boston, London, Chicago, New York one can spend more on parking then a feeble Vancouverite's mind can begin to comprehend. In London, it's pretty typical to see a flat rate of USD$80 to park for an evening. That's in a city with a GREAT transit system. I speculate that ppl would just be driving around vancouver looking for parking.
Too bad Vancouver is nowhere even close to either of these cities when it comes to generating wealth.

Vancouver may be a nice place to look at, but the people here are dirt poor compared to those in the places you mentioned.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote