REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver puts squeeze on downtown parking

Fuck the city of Vancouver.

Quote:
VANCOUVER — The City of Vancouver plans to slash the number of new off-street parking spaces in the downtown core in a bid to get commuters and residents out of their cars and cycling, walking or taking transit.

But the Urban Development Institute claims the move, which would see “zero growth” in commuter parking spaces and significantly reduce the number of residential spots, will deter both businesses and residents from relocating here.

“It’s a case of the pendulum swinging too far the other way,” said UDI executive director Maureen Enser. “There are those businesses that want to relocate here who are going to want parking so how are we going to accommodate them? We are a little bit concerned about it.”

The proposal, which will go to city council on Thursday, suggests council limit the number of parking spaces in new downtown commercial developments in order to maintain a cap of 34,000 spaces.

Under the current rules, developers are required to provide one space per 2.5 to 3.5 employees.

The new standard would require developers to build a minimum of one space per 4.5 to five employees. The maximum they could build would be one space for every 3.5 to four employees.

The number of parking spaces would vary with the density of the building.

Residential developers, meanwhile, are allowed to provide a maximum of one space per unit and only have to offer a minimum of .42 space per unit.

The aim, according to the report, is to encourage less vehicle use in the downtown core and encourage car co-ops and car sharing.

“We don’t want more cars on the road,” said Carli Edwards, the city’s parking manager engineer. “What we’re seeing now is more mixed-use and transit development. As you add more people to the downtown, fewer people could drive.”

Edwards said the city has a history of incrementally lowering the number of parking spaces. The latest move is driven by a predicted rise in commercial growth until 2031.

But as old surface parking lots or parkades are displaced by new commercial buildings, it’s estimated 5,770 parking spaces will be lost by then. And with fewer new spaces being provided, the report said the standards “are set at levels that are designed to ensure that there remains zero growth in employee [commuter] parking spaces.”

The proposal also includes reducing parking spaces in central Broadway and Mount Pleasant. Disability parking spaces would not be reduced, as the number of disabled drivers has risen 20 per cent since 2001, the report said.

Enser argued the proposal will discourage people from coming to live and work in downtown Vancouver because of a possible shortage of sites.

She said the Urban Development Institute supports changing the minimum number of parking spaces required for developers, but the city shouldn’t restrict the number of spaces because some companies may require extra parking.

It costs developers an average of about $40,000 to build a parking space, she said.

“If your business requires a certain amount of parking and you can’t get it in Vancouver, where are you going to go? Metrotown,” she said. “We should see what the implications of the new standards are going to be.”

Enser said the recession will change the economic climate and force businesses to do things differently.

Until the city figures out what kind of businesses will be popping up, she said, it should remain flexible.

“No one knows what the economy is going to look like,” she said. “What you need is common sense. They’re kind of dictating what businesses will and will not do with the space.”

The commercial sector isn’t the only one that will be hit hard, she said, noting that people may refuse to buy into residential buildings in downtown Vancouver because there isn’t enough parking.

Julian Jones, vice-president of business development for Impark, a Vancouver-based parking lot operator, said the residential regulations may have unintended consequences.

“Because this is a unique downtown phenomenon, if you have two vehicles, you may move to the suburbs and in fact use your car more,” he said. “Restricting spaces downtown may have a negative impact on people’s ability to minimize the use of their vehicle.”

Jones said the proposed regulations would mean fewer spots available, and a higher rate for parking. But the rules may not be good for parking lot operators either. “If you've got a small number of spaces producing more money for each space, it’s not necessarily producing more money than a large number of spaces at a lesser rate,” he said.

Edwards said there will always be a minimum number of parking spaces in the city. She noted fewer people living downtown own cars and said the new Canada Line, a third SeaBus and cycling lanes will help people get around.

If commercial growth continued unchecked under the current parking standards, the report warned, the city would see an increase in overall parking supply. It suggests the city’s current cap on commuter parking spaces has already contributed to fewer vehicle trips and increased use of transit, bike and walking paths.

While overall trips have increased by 23 per cent over the past 10 years, the report said, vehicle trips to the city’s downtown have dropped by seven per cent.

Charles Gauthier, executive director of the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association, said he doesn’t expect the new parking standards to have a huge impact on business. He noted the cost of building parking is expensive, which often hinders developers from building.

“The studies I’ve seen over the last couple of years show there’s a lot of inventory available,” he said.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said the city is constantly monitoring parking spaces to ensure there’s a balance in the city and called for more investment in transit. “City staff are totally conscious of what’s at stake here,” he said.

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

With files from David Karp

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

ouch, i guess it sucks to work in van. i blame that hippy gregor robertson.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

need more buses
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

So who voted for Robertson on RS?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Save Parking for the Rich!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

parking is already a bitch
thanks
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Good news to me, there are too many cars downtown already anyways.

Less cars, more buses, more Skytrain, more bike lanes, and more sidewalks please.
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsport View Post

Less cars, more buses, more Skytrain, more bike tracks, and more sidewalks please.
That's actually what I was thinking when I read the article.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Actually, the demand for parking spaces is relatively inelastic. Judging from major cities like Boston, London, Chicago, New York one can spend more on parking then a feeble Vancouverite's mind can begin to comprehend. In London, it's pretty typical to see a flat rate of USD$80 to park for an evening. That's in a city with a GREAT transit system. I speculate that ppl would just be driving around vancouver looking for parking.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
meh. next thing u know robertson will turn vancouver parking lots into agricultural farmland as well to join his backyard garden at city hall
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
meh. next thing u know robertson will turn vancouver parking lots into agricultural farmland as well to join his backyard garden at city hall
Since you love your car so much you should move to Langley (or Surrey, or whatever). There, you can spend your whole day commuting in your car, everyday, for the rest of your life.
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

good thing I very rarely ever have to go downtown, I try to avoid it as much as possible
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

doesn't impact me; i already end up paying for parking downtown when i have to drive in, cause it's so packed as shit :-(
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:

Less cars, more buses, more Skytrain, more bike lanes, and more sidewalks please.
The problem is that buses, Skytrain, biking and such in Vancouver ARE NOT CONVENIENT. Ever taken public transportation in any other country? You aren't waiting half an hour if you miss a bus.

Until they improve public transportation in this city, I'll stick to burning fuel and warming the planet.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:

except it works Less parking spots, higher fees, same bus, same skytrain, more bike lanes, and crappier sidewalks.

Cutting parking spots will not force the people to abandon their cars, instead it will drive the customers away.

People love freedom and choice. Provide better transportation is the ONLY way people will drop their cars.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Fuck bike lanes
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livre View Post
Fuck bike lanes
werd

gayest fucking people who uses it
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
How I Mod your mother

I'm sorry, did they say transit development?
Wouldnt that mean making it better as well? Sorry, but they've been saying that for a while now
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Since you love your car so much you should move to Langley (or Surrey, or whatever). There, you can spend your whole day commuting in your car, everyday, for the rest of your life.
thats the plan stan.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Unless you live within walking distance of skytrain, using transit from any of Vancouver's suburbs SUCKS.

Once upon a time I would commute from #3 & Williams Richmond to Downtown by bus. I would leave the house at 6:30am, to get to work before 8:00am, work to 6pm, and be home by 8. I was even lucky because I could catch the B-Lines as they headed up 3 road from the service yard on steveston hwy. On the way home, I'd always have to transfer onto the 403, which meant waiting up to 1/2 an hour at richmond centre.

3+ hours of commuting on a pretty direct bus route SUCKS. Even on a heavy traffic day, it was at least an hour and a half faster for the day by car.

The stupid city should only push change if they can accomodate that change...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Unauthourized Spammer

fuckin bullshit
GreenBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
I am on the internets

fascists
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Unless you live within walking distance of skytrain, using transit from any of Vancouver's suburbs SUCKS.

Once upon a time I would commute from #3 & Williams Richmond to Downtown by bus. I would leave the house at 6:30am, to get to work before 8:00am, work to 6pm, and be home by 8. I was even lucky because I could catch the B-Lines as they headed up 3 road from the service yard on steveston hwy. On the way home, I'd always have to transfer onto the 403, which meant waiting up to 1/2 an hour at richmond centre.

3+ hours of commuting on a pretty direct bus route SUCKS. Even on a heavy traffic day, it was at least an hour and a half faster for the day by car.

The stupid city should only push change if they can accomodate that change...
The reason why we don't have enough buses is the number of ppl that takes it. Unless it is in the morning or when ppl get off work u won't see a full bus. U most likely will see like 5 to 10ppl or even less on a bus which means operating it would be a loss. Becasue Vancouver well is pretty big compare to other cities(HK).

I think the tranist system here in vanouver is out of date anyways. Why use different zones? Have each bus at a flast rate like HK does and there are no return flares. Use smaller buses for non rush hour time to save up cost and operate at a more fequent rate.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The reason why we don't have enough buses is the number of ppl that takes it. Unless it is in the morning or when ppl get off work u won't see a full bus. U most likely will see like 5 to 10ppl or even less on a bus which means operating it would be a loss. Becasue Vancouver well is pretty big compare to other cities(HK).

I think the tranist system here in vanouver is out of date anyways. Why use different zones? Have each bus at a flast rate like HK does and there are no return flares. Use smaller buses for non rush hour time to save up cost and operate at a more fequent rate.
The biggest problem, the way I see it, is that the transit system is run by the government. Without competition, nothing is going to improve. If they screw up, cool, let's ask for more money. In turn, the government squeeze us for more money. It's a vicious cycle. We need better people to run the transit system, not some retired politician who only knows how to sit there & bullshit all day. Sadly, it's not gonna happen.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

canadian politician are fucking retarded
less parking less people shopping then that fucks up ppl's buisness
if you want ppl to bus more make more buses come often and make them fucking nicer so i dun feel like a hobo bussing ....
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote