REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Fantastic Southern food: Alligator Soul in Everett, WA

Dropped by Alligator Soul in May on a Saturday night and it was PACKED. All the locals in Everett eat here and its easy to see why. No creole or cajun restaurant in Vancouver comes close to the experience I had at Alligator Soul, the food is simply heart warming good.

Sampled turtle soup, deep fried alligator tail, hush puppies, gumbo, jambalaya, and crawfish etoufee. Everything was good, with the crawfish etoufee being a particularly great standout. Finished the meal off with the dessert beignets which had some banana and caramel sauce.

I highly suggest anyone driving down or back from Seattle should stop in Everett for lunch or dinner at this fantastic restaurant. Its really a shame that Southern food doesn't exist in Vancouver, at least at this level. Forgive the poor photos, I was too impatient to deal with camera settings and wanted to dive into the food.

Hush Puppies

Alligator Bites

Jambalaya with shrimp, crawfish tails, scallops, mussels, and clams

Crawfish Etoufee

Dessert Beignets (do not confuse it with the savory appetizer beignets with crawfish gravy)

Table Sauces (also for sale)
Advertisement

Last edited by jlo mein; 06-11-2009 at 02:30 AM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
TVD
I am Hook'd on RS

It looks good. I'll make a point of stopping by during my next trip down to Seattle. Thanks
TVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the place!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

thanks for sharing

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Start blogging.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #6

Too much work lol...so much easier to just put it up on Revscene, and hopefully a few will benefit. I'm so excited I'm going to be going back down there again this Saturday for their special Crawfish Boil! Shell crackin' fun!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

You've already put it here, just copy paste it!
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

anything else in the hush puppies besides corn?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
anything else in the hush puppies besides corn?
they're made with corn meal, not actual corn. So it's like small deep fried balls of cornbread.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
w0w that looks pretty damm good
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
WHYYYYY. Why must awesome restaurants locate OUTSIDE of BC.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #12

Went back this past weekend for their special Crawfish Boil! Check their website calendar for remaining dates (June 27 is one of them). I must say that the crawfish boil was very spicy. I like food with some kick but this is definitely for those who like stuff really hot.

Beignets with crawfish gravy. I could eat a meal of this stuff.

1lbs crawfish boil. This was quite big for one person, and they even had a 3lbs version available to share.

Bread pudding with bourbon sauce. I liked the beignet dessert I had previously a lot more.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
I want to thank you for the review. I went to the states to do some shopping today and with bunch of friends decided to try something new other than heading down to seattle for crabpot.

We ordered the 3lb crawfish, turtle soup, and gator bites. good food and good experience!

also tried their beer flights, $12 bucks gets ya 8 beers, 5oz each. man, they got some really good beers down there!

didnt bring a camera so got some crappy cell phone pics, ill post those up when i get a chance.

the georgia peach hot sauce is absolutely awesome! im gonna take my parents to this place next time as im sure they have never had crawfish before. so hard to eat them! must google next time, but pretty much all u got is the tail, and the brains (if ur asian, u love this shit!)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #14

Cool I'm glad you and your party enjoyed yourselves. I would have sucked the heads of all the crawfish but after two I was crying from the spiciness lol. All the spices seem to get collect in the head cavity. If anyone wants to try crawfish without dealing with finicky peeling, get the crawfish etoufee. Its one of the best dishes there.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
i've read thsi post over 6 times and i an't wait to go there.

thx for posting up.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Aw man I have like a whole bunch of pet Crawfish in my tanks at home ... it would make me a little sad to eat these ... but ... meh I'll just pretend they are baby lobsters! I will definitely try this place next time I head south!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Crawfish looks delicious, anyone know where you can get in Vancouver?
F1 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

crappy cell phone pics

Beer Flight...

3Lbs of crawfish/crayfish

The largest one from the bunch

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

How was it !SG?
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
Ebisu Boss

Damn we went down there yesterday but I misunderstood the Crayfish Boil was a SPECIAL and we didn't get to order it
We had:
Hushpuppies - Pretty good, awesome for dipping!
Turtle Soup - It's a VERY strong taste, it feels like it should be more of a sauce than an actual soup
Onion Soup - VERY cheesy, very good onion taste, the cheese was stringy all over the place, AWESOME! One of the best Onion Soups I've ever had!

Alligator Tail Bites - The Alligator meat was very good! Tender but crispy! It was like a cross between eating a Black Cod and Pork!
Crayfish Etoufee - for me this was way too fishy and the tails were so tiny I thought they were baby shrimp... its too bad I missed out on the Crayfish boil ... maybe next time!

The beers they had there were delicious!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Turtle Soup - It's a VERY strong taste, it feels like it should be more of a sauce than an actual soup
I brought home some of the turtle soup once, and also had a cup of leftover rice in the fridge. I found it tasted much better with the two mixed together, as like you said, it is strongly flavoured.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I went with Obsideon on Monday and had the same impressions.. the beer was really good.... and the hush puppies were pretty good too... everything else was BLEH !!! lol..

French Onion Soup was the highlight of the night.. but it is not even that hard to make at home.. lol
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Ebisu Boss

Haha I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I was tasting the Turtle Soup.. "hmm.. this would go really well mixed with rice" haha ... asian mentality $ .. damn we should have got that "Flight of Beer" haha looks good!.. but then it was just lunch time...

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

haha, i youtubed how to eat crayfish/crawfish

hahaha,

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 AM   #25

Went down again this past Saturday and my experience was much different than before. Our server informed us that they were very short staffed that evening. It took 45 minutes to get seated, 15 minutes to get our order in, half an hour to get our appetizers and another 40 minutes to get our entrees. Our waiter apologized saying their level of service is never like that, and ended up comping our entire meal and dessert (although I never openly complained). The experience left a sour taste in my mouth, but I think I will return since I've never had a bad experience previously, and if this did happen often at the restaurant, I doubt they would comp our meal.

Started off with beignets and crawfish gravy and hush puppies. The beignets really are a great appetizer, and the gravy makes everything taste better. I tried the deep fried beef brisket po'boy in brown gravy. It came out very dry and seemed like a lackluster effort, with just shredded brisket in bread (nothing else inside), then lightly deep fried, and a weak gravy on top. My girlfriend had the crawfish etoufee, and as always it was fantastic. Ended with a sweet potato pecan pie and its one of the best desserts they have.