REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #126
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Im 6'2 203-4 lbs
Advertisement
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #127
dru
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Don't forget to factor in taxes even though it's a used bike. HST on $4000 is still several hundred dollars.

At 6'2 you might be more comfortable riding a bigger bike. Have you considered looking at a SV650S? Its has a decent seat height and more of an upright riding position which is more beginner friendly. If you opt for a newer one ABS is also an option! A lot of options on CL too.
Posted via RS Mobile
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #128
Banned (ABWS)

^+1 on the SV650. The V-twin has a linear power curve so you don't have to rev to 10k+rpm to get power, much more usable in the city. On the newer models, ABS is actually standard

Having said that, learning curve is much better starting off a 250. I strongly suggest buying used...I bought my Ninja 250 brand new for almost 6k OTD (I bought their theft protection package...what a waste!) and I moved up to my SV650 after just 3 months.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #129
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
Yea if i do go the 250-600 route then definately itll be a used 250.

Ive actually got my eyes on this ad, what do u guys think
2005 Yamaha R6 - Nice Bike

I hit him up with an email, he told me he dropped it at about 10k kms, has bout
32k now. Also paint is a bit chipped here and there.

Still, its only $4200, probably could get it down to 4k with a bit of lowballing , but then insurance still doubles.
That bike looks pretty fucked if u ask me. Wouldn't buy it... "flat black" lmao covering all the scratches from lowsides he's not mentioning in the ad.

Email the guy, see if he's honest about damage, then consider it if it's worth while, I guess.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #130

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
it does look pretty beat up from those pics. might be the quality of the camera though. but definitely don't buy the first bike you see. don't rush it.

look at a BUNCH of bikes and get an idea what you're looking for and for price comparison. you will end up getting a better bike for a better price and at the end, you'll feel better about your purchase.

its always AFTER you buy the bike when all these what-if questions come in. shop around.

and if you do buy private, once you have your eyes set on the bike, make them ride it to a shop and you can pay for a pre-inspection. and if its all good, then you can buy it from there. some tips also, if its a newer bike, make sure there's no lien on it and you can always pay a bit to do a VIN check to make sure its a clean title.

it might be a steal of a price for a bike, but the damages will may end up costing you more if you're not careful.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #131

Im in no rush to buy, just want to keep an eye out for any steal of the deals.

Im thinking of a R6 or a CBR600RR, any known faults or issues to look out for?

Also, ive decided to go for the 600cc starter bike, i know that if anything goes wrong i might kill myself, but i think that if i can be extremely careful and mature about owning the 600cc, then all is well. I wont cheap out on gear or anything, will be taking PRS in 2012 spring, but should i get theft and collision for the insurance?

I have now till winter-ish to look for a bike, so no hurry whatsoever.

Edit: what do you guys think of this one? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...485737462.html

Last edited by LP700-4; 07-20-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #132

Quote:
Im in no rush to buy, just want to keep an eye out for any steal of the deals.

Im thinking of a R6 or a CBR600RR, any known faults or issues to look out for?

Also, ive decided to go for the 600cc starter bike, i know that if anything goes wrong i might kill myself, but i think that if i can be extremely careful and mature about owning the 600cc, then all is well. I wont cheap out on gear or anything, will be taking PRS in 2012 spring, but should i get theft and collision for the insurance?

I have now till winter-ish to look for a bike, so no hurry whatsoever.
Why don't you take PRS this summer, get your MST over with and start looking for a bike?

Not too much can go wrong with the jap 600's mechanically, imo.. but it'd be smart to google "common issues with [model & year of bike]". A bunch of forum threads will probably result in some good info.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Why don't you take PRS this summer, get your MST over with and start looking for a bike?

Not too much can go wrong with the jap 600's mechanically, imo.. but it'd be smart to google "common issues with [model & year of bike]". A bunch of forum threads will probably result in some good info.
highly suggest this. if you can get your MST over with at the end of summer, you have all winter to look and research for bikes. so by spring or early summer, you can buy a bike and get your full Class 6.

i started school in june last year and by the time i got my bike and what not, the season was pretty much over.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #134
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
It's only over if you let it. I pretty much rode my scooter all year long. The only time I didn't ride was when it rained in sheets, snow on the ground, or it was below freezing.

I pretty much rode all the way down to temps hovering around freezing. I've had frost on my seat and mirrors after popping inside for bbt.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
highly suggest this. if you can get your MST over with at the end of summer, you have all winter to look and research for bikes. so by spring or early summer, you can buy a bike and get your full Class 6.

i started school in june last year and by the time i got my bike and what not, the season was pretty much over.
I have a group of people that all want to get their motorcycles and stuff the same time, one of them has gone out of country and will be back near december so we all agreed on waiting for him. Having said that does PRS have any group rate discounts? Not a large group, just 3-4 people.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #136
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
I have a group of people that all want to get their motorcycles and stuff the same time, one of them has gone out of country and will be back near december so we all agreed on waiting for him. Having said that does PRS have any group rate discounts? Not a large group, just 3-4 people.
minimum 4 for $50 off each person. In the process of taking the course, just finished the classroom stuff.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #137

if you haven't set your mind on PRS yet, try sundays motorcycle school. you can always email him to see if he gives discounts.

by name, PRS is better though.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #138

Sorry im asking so many questions here but should i go to PRS, ProRide up in north van or that Sunday Motorcycle school? Sunday's is bit cheaper than PRS and ProRide, also closer than both of them. Any other suggestions closer than Sundays?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #139
Banned (ABWS)

^You will find 99.99999% of people who took PRS will strongly recommend it for good reason

They were able to each my wife to ride...that says enough
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #140
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
minimum 4 for $50 off each person. In the process of taking the course, just finished the classroom stuff.
Just finished the classroom portion at PRS aswell, what class are you in? I'm in the weekend class.

On another note, I've been looking around for a used SV650 (2003+, "s" model or not, doesn't matter), any common issues about these bikes? From everything I've read and heard, the SV is a great bike to start with that isn't a 250.
Posted via RS Mobile
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #141
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
prs iz bezzzt bro
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #142

PRS sounds like the more obvious choice, but Sundays and ProRide is lots closer. We still havent decided, but from all you guy's comments i dont think we will regret going to PRS.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #143
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Without a doubt, PRS.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #144
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
PRS
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #145
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

And for good measure, I'll chime in for PRS as well.

I may be young, but I've taken a wide variety of classes/courses including ones on sports, music, outdoor survival, martial arts, combat, flying lessons, construction, and - most recently - motorcycle training. All had their own valid ways of teaching in the most effective manner; PRS is no exception. It's noticeable to me that there are things learned in motorcycle training that I have learned elsewhere already. Having experienced such a wide array of teaching styles in different fields, it's easy for me to say that PRS has garnered and successfully implemented some of the best aspects from all fields.

That said, I haven't been to any of the other schools, let alone checked them out.

LP670-4 SV, I think you were asking about insurance earlier. I went to my local Autoplan broker and got quoted ~$900 for full coverage (collision and comprehensive) with a declared value of $2500. That was for one year, 600cc, 10% discount. (Should be 15% by now....)

I think I will declare the value higher, though.

I'm only going to be insuring my bike for three months, so I thought what the hell, I'll take the collision and comprehensive for the extra $80 or whatever it was. It's my first bike and I'm a new rider... something might happen.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #146

^ Thanks for the info, my buddy told me his ZX6R was upwards of 300 bucks a month, new rider, full coverage. Which scares me and continues to make it a worry about getting a 600. Mind you, if I get a 600 it would be same kinda deal, except his would be a 2009 bike with a higher value.

After reading all u guy's posts again I realized you guys probably think I'm a lot older than I am. I'm actually still in HS. and just for that fact I have decided to get myself back onto the 250 route. Ive actually thought bout this, being me I love going WOT on bikes, whether it be my old dirtbike, the 50cc pocket bike, or the Honda rebel 125 I used to rip around in. I actually got to sit on a ninja 250r and it isn't really as miniature as I thought. I've figured that if I do get a 600 then most of the time I'll have to ride slow and only be able use a fraction of the performance it actually has. On a 250 however I can use what it can produce, without killing myself, along with cheaper maintenance and running costs.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #147
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
$300/month for insurance?

Get your basic from ICBC then go to see Paul @ Cassells. Or heck, Paul can do it all at one for you. Make sure you tell him you took a course!
Cassells has new Beacon Announcement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #148

He's a new rider with a 09 ZX6R monster edition valued at approx $7500-8000. 300 bucks is what ICBC has him at now. Not 18 yet but probably able to get this after a season.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
$300/month for insurance?

Get your basic from ICBC then go to see Paul @ Cassells. Or heck, Paul can do it all at one for you. Make sure you tell him you took a course!
Cassells has new Beacon Announcement
I thought to be eligible for private insurance (w/ good rates anyway) i think you need at least 5~10 years with license and a cleaaaan driving record. the latter makes me a non-candidate

wish i had a 600 back in HS!!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #150
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso09 View Post
Just finished the classroom portion at PRS aswell, what class are you in? I'm in the weekend class.

On another note, I've been looking around for a used SV650 (2003+, "s" model or not, doesn't matter), any common issues about these bikes? From everything I've read and heard, the SV is a great bike to start with that isn't a 250.
Posted via RS Mobile
We were probably in the same classroom group.. Was towards the back of the classroom with my gf. Nightschool A.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote