REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #176
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Surprised noone hasn't jumped on the cbr 250r yet...
Advertisement
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #177
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
my friend bought the blue kawi i think

the red one ain't bad for the cbr 250, however, it's red and not the traditional color of cbr
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #178
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thinking back. I would've preferred something with FI since choke and warm up is a lil annoying hahaha.
All gs500 owners will know what I'm talking about. Damn cold blooded bike.
Posted via RS Mobile
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #179
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Are carbs actually that much trouble? I srsly want FI but i dont like how the CBR250 looks...
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #180
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
Are carbs actually that much trouble? I srsly want FI but i dont like how the CBR250 looks...
Not trouble, really. Think about the effort required to prime your lawnmower's engine before starting and maybe using the choke. It's just something you get used to.

kyoshi, is the GS500 that bad? Haha I was going to get one. The ZX6 I got instead is quite the opposite. I've never needed to use the choke.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #181

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
carbs aren't really that troublesome. its just one of those things they take care of in one of your maintenance packages. unless you plan on cleaning it out yourself, then i'm not too sure.

its just in the morning it takes a bit to warm up before you can ride. but you can usually open full choke for a min and then decrease it with it open about half way and then ride. and in a few mins, you can generally just close it. or you can full choke open and warm a few mins and then close and ride.

by the time you get your helmets and glove on and pre-trip your bike, it usually is warm enough to ride.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #182
I STILL don't get it

yeah I own a GS500F, the warming up isn't really an issue at all for me. Start up the bike, helmet/gloves on, check my mirrors I'm good to go.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #183
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

It's pretty loud and it doesn't help that the bike is air cooled.
It takes a bit to heat up and then it cools down fast so chances of choke start are higher. It's got a bit of the lawn mower sound for start up, but once its ready to go, its sounds nice and burbly.

Love it though, perfect bike for around town and a few trips.
I start my bike up, walk it out of the gated area and lock up. Then its pretty much ready to go after I finish zipping up and putting on my gloves.
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #184

Hows the availability of spots in PRS? do you have to book a spot like now for a course in Jan 2011?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #185
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
How about you pick up the phone to call and ask them?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #186

Too lazy
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #187
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think you can start within 2-3 weeks.
Dazzl240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #188
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Just want to chime in here. My 04 ZX6R 636 is the same insurance cost as the CBR600RR etc. 42% discount, $50 a month (no comprehensive).

I just started riding in March 2011. It is my first bike and was a lot to learn on. Now I am a lot more comfortable with it.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #189
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Hows the availability of spots in PRS? do you have to book a spot like now for a course in Jan 2011?
I called PRS towards the 3rd week of June, and started 3 weeks later. Just call them and find out.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #190

I didn't want to create a thread for my quick question and since this thread gets higher traffic than others.

Ive got scuffed up fairings(dropped and lowsided, shitty.. oh well what's done is done) and was wondering is it cheaper to get my whole oem fairing set painted(me doing the prepping work, sanding down + primer) or to buy new fairings and slap them on(~$550 with S+H off eBay)?

That's without knowing/having any connections. If its dead easy but time consuming I will consider doing it myself as a winter project with the right online step by step tutorial, but I think I'd have a better sleep having it professional painted.

Enlighten me, thanks in advance
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #191
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Hey Rossi,

What bike you riding?
As for EBay plastics.....some people have luck and they work out ok but NEVER as good as OE plastics.

If its just some light rashing I would take this as a chance to have the whole bike painted in a new color :P (I'm in this boat too, My R1 has some light rash on the left side thanks to an idiot cager).

Tim

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #192

Fix what you can make look as if there was no damage, as for the rest, find OEM parts at the chop shop or ebay.

Wouldn't go fake ebay plastics, as you're seriously lowering the value of a bike for sale in the future imo.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #193

It's an F4i, i was thinking getting the bike repainted to how I want it to look. I took the idea off another bike that was custom painted., gorgeous. I know with the aftermarket fairings I'm probably going to have to adjust them here and there for fitment, no big deal there. But there's only so many sets out there, Im not a fan of the repsol as I think it's too much, but I'm really liking the playboy fairing scheme minus playboy logo lol.

That's fine if it's not as good as OEM fairings, I have frame sliders waiting to be put on after what I decide to do...

It is 'light' damage IMO, though that's subjective. One fairing is pretty scuffed up, the other side is still in good condition. In the end I think I'm going to get a whole new set off eBay rather than repaint. If I get it painted I'm sure I'll be looking at a g-note at the very least and my valve spring service is coming up as well...

Life is all about the bejamins...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #194

Well I looked around for my one fairing that's damaged, was quoted $445 however from dealership not a chop shop. $445 for one side fairing vs eBay whole new set like I said ~$500.

My bikes an 01... I have lots more km to put on it haha and I definitely know i wont make much back of what I bought for as the years go by. Probably best to my advantage to just keep it.

I really want to get it repainted instead of slapping on certain fairing sets... Thinking of getting a second job for my bike to do so. Then once everything's said and done, frame sliders!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
Well I looked around for my one fairing that's damaged, was quoted $445 however from dealership not a chop shop. $445 for one side fairing vs eBay whole new set like I said ~$500.

My bikes an 01... I have lots more km to put on it haha and I definitely know i wont make much back of what I bought for as the years go by. Probably best to my advantage to just keep it.

I really want to get it repainted instead of slapping on certain fairing sets... Thinking of getting a second job for my bike to do so. Then once everything's said and done, frame sliders!
Posted via RS Mobile
If saving money is an issue, and you don't plan on selling it soon, why bother fixing it up? It's just fairing damage, just put on some sliders and ride that shit out!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #196
2 Wheel'd Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
Ah who cares about how it looks, as long as it rides. =P With that said, check craigslist or the chop shop or supersport motorcycle works. You might get lucky and pick up some fairing pieces for cheap. You would be surprised at how many random near mint fairing pieces there are out there. There are cheaper options than going for a full paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
If saving money is an issue, and you don't plan on selling it soon, why bother fixing it up? It's just fairing damage, just put on some sliders and ride that shit out!
+1 Season is nearing a close. Save up for next season
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #197
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Too lazy
I suppose you shouldn't be riding.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I suppose you shouldn't be riding.
I probably shoudnt.

But who says im riding? Im just PREPPING for my riding.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #199

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
I probably shoudnt.

But who says im riding? Im just PREPPING for my riding.
you should prep by calling PRS and booking a spot.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
you should prep by calling PRS and booking a spot.
Actually i still have to do my knowledge test, but question here is that do i have to wait out the 30 days before MST?

Example.

I do my Knowledge test tomorrow on the 12th, get the 30 day restriction from riding solo thing before im eligible to do the MST. So September 12th im eligible.

Do i have to do my course after September 12th or is there some kind of leniency about the restriction period if you do a course?