REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
^hehe yeah kinda, edison is better looking but this guy kinda does.

who is writing these cheques for >100k to these ppl!?!??! Isn't there some qualification process or something?
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,414 Posts
For people allegedly scamming hundreds of thousands, the way they dress doesn't seem out of the ordinary. The way the chick dresses actually reminds me of a C-Lai. Wonder what they did with all the money.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #28
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
=/ The posting of personal pics of these people is really getting childish. Do you have that much time to be searching everyone on facebook?
Cant Agree More.

There are just names on the article, so I think its unfair to post photos of any particular individual and "assuming" these are the people the article is refering to.

And like ecchiecchi and spoon.ctr.ek9 said, there are so many Gordon(s) out there, why post pictures of these individuals? We aint the ones to find out who the people are, we pay tax so the police can do it.

Last edited by Guinness; 06-16-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Quote:
=/ The posting of personal pics of these people is really getting childish. Do you have that much time to be searching everyone on facebook?
enough time to post on RS...
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,251 Times in 2,363 Posts
Quote:
Wtf are you talking about.....the facebook link and pictures were posted on the dvforums; I just copied and pasted what I read.

More information on the scam:

Quote:
Microsoft sues Richmond trio over ‘massive click fraud scheme’

By David Baines, Vancouver Sun columnistJune 16, 2009 4:24 PM

Seattle-based software giant Microsoft Corp. has filed a lawsuit against three Richmond residents who allegedly perpetrated a “massive ‘click fraud’ scheme” on its online advertising network.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle against Eric Lam, his brother Gordon Lam, and their mother Melanie Suen.

They live in a gated townhouse complex at 47-12411 Jack Bell Drive in Richmond. No one answered the door when a Sun reporter visited there Tuesday morning and telephone calls were not returned.

“By engaging in a widespread scheme that generated invalid clicks on links to online ads that were displayed in response to search requests on Microsoft’s network, defendants disrupted the advertising campaigns of their competitors, obtained increased user traffic for their own ads at a much lower cost than they could have otherwise, and caused substantial damage to Microsoft,” the lawsuit alleges.

The lawsuit alleges breach of contract, tortious interference with business relationship, fraudulent concealment, fraudulent misrepresentation and civil conspiracy.

Also named are two Delaware-registered companies the defendants allegedly used to register online advertising accounts with Microsoft. They are:

• Super Continental US LLC, which runs a website (www.WoWmine.com) that sells virtual “gold” generated and used by players of the hugely popular online video game, World of Warcraft.

• Super Continental USA LLC, which represents websites involved in auto insurance sales.

By way of background, the lawsuit explains that, to be displayed on Microsoft’s online advertising platform (called “adCenter”), advertisers bid for keywords relevant to their market, such as “airline tickets” or “cheap flights.”

When somebody who is looking for cheap flights types those words into Microsoft’s search function, unpaid results show on the left side, and sponsor-paid sites appear on the right side. When users click on the sponsored sites, they are directed to the sponsor’s website.

The higher up the sponsor’s ad is placed, the more likely it is to be clicked by a potential customer and a sale made. Sponsors obtain higher ranking by agreeing to pay more money to Microsoft every time somebody clicks their site.

“Pay-per-click fraud” occurs when a sponsor clicks on a competitor’s site for the sole purpose of exhausting the competitor’s budget and bumping it off the page so that its ads move up in ranking without having to pay more money to Microsoft.

Fraudulent clicks are generated either by “click farms,” where workers are hired to repeatedly click on sponsored sites, or through software programs that automatically click on sponsored sties.

According to the lawsuit, starting in March 2008, Microsoft received “an unusually high number of complaints of suspicious activity from advertisers in the auto insurance industry.”

“Microsoft investigators confirmed that a large number of exact match-type keywords were being searched, and within a short period of time, the top sponsored site results were being clicked, which indicated that automated or ‘click farm-generated’ click fraud was occurring on the Microsoft network.”

During the same period, Microsoft investigators discerned similar traffic spikes for “exact match-type keywords” in World of Warcraft-sponsored sites.

Microsoft investigators determined that Eric Lam was “uniquely involved in — and positioned to profit from — click fraud in both markets.”

This was unusual, because Warcraft and auto insurance are unrelated markets. Making the matter more unusual, Lam’s sites were not being hit by the onslaught of suspicious clicks.

Further investigation connected the fraudulent clicks to computers or servers registered to and operated by Lam, and to adCenter accounts linked to Gordon Lam and Melanie Suen.

The lawsuit claims that, to reimburse advertisers who were victimized by the fraud, Microsoft credited them with nearly $1.5 million, and spent another $750,000 investigating and addressing the fraudulent activities.

Microsoft is seeking damages against the defendants, an injunction preventing them from furthering their scheme.

Last edited by Harvey Specter; 06-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #31
Ubereem Mod

interesting, an aquantiance of mine.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,416 Times in 5,680 Posts
if you have an open facebook account with all pics available i see no problem posting personal pics of the idiots dumb enough to upload every pic they have to social networking sites

once they are online, and under open profiles its pretty much a free for all.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #33
The "You'd Know" Moderator

haha civil suit... good luck serving them the summons.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

Man, this scheme is at least 10 years old. What a dumbass for actually going through with this.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,478 Posts
Guess what it involved WOW gold.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+S...ticle15426.htm

"Background : The three defendants were born in China, now living in BC Canada. They set up two corporations based in Delaware, both joined a partnership with microsoft's advertising company. These companies were selling World of Warcraft gold through the internet.

Mechanics: When you type something into a microsoft search engine, like "Wow Gold" you will get an organic search list, plus sponsored links at the top of the site. Companies bid on hot keywords like "wow Gold" or "cheap airfare" etc. If company ABC bids $5 for a keyword and company XYZ bids $6, the ad for XYZ will pop up when you type your search. If a searcher then clicks on that sponsored link, company XYZ owes microsoft $6. Quite often a company like XYZ will set a budget of $XXX.XX amount for this add campaign; and their ad will be featured until the budget has been depleted. Once the budget has been depleted, the ads for company ABC will now start to appear; and company ABC will pay only $5 per ad (their original bid price).

Click fraud occurs when bots, macros, or other illegitimate means are used to mimic the traffic of an actual person on the internet. By clicking on competitor's links thousands of times per day, the perpetrator can exhaust the budget of a rival firm. If this can be done enough, the perp's website will move up in rank after higher payer's budgets have been exhausted and ads will be featured at the cheaper bid price.

Sounds like a win win for Microsoft because they get a bunch of money, but if done enough it will undermine the confidence of its advertisers."
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,652 Posts
yeah, after seeing the address (why did they post this? lol) i know exactly who they are.

melanie suen is gordon lam's mom. she looks like a c-lai because she IS a c-lai. i shudder at the idea that some of may have looked at her in "that" manner hah.

quite odd that they would be involved in such fraud, they seemed like a nice enough family earning an honest living. but i guess things change huh?
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #37
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,251 Times in 2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
if you have an open facebook account with all pics available i see no problem posting personal pics of the idiots dumb enough to upload every pic they have to social networking sites

Yup, pretty much. The first place the media checks nowadays is facebook.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Man, this scheme is at least 10 years old. What a dumbass for actually going through with this.
a dumbass who made $750k bfore getting caught?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,770 Times in 911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Agreed. It's simple really, don't ever want your picture to be seen then don't fucking post it online for the world to see.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #40
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
a dumbass who made $750k bfore getting caught?
Actually, after reading more into it, it's not like THEY made $750k. They cost other advertisers $750k in fake clicks, which Microsoft got the revenue. They did it so that they would get higher placement in the search rankings afterwards... so how much it actually benefited them, impossible to know... but it probably isn't anywhere close to $750k.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #41
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I don't think they have an open FB account, hardly anyone does these days,
what most likely happened was that ppl who knew these guys put out these pics,

That's what CBC tried to do to my friend about that "hit list" a couple weeks ago, trying to squeeze info out of people.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #42
Peanut Butter Jelly with a Baseball Bat!

wow are they allowed to post the exact address like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this aint mcdonalds, smiles aren't free.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

anyone else think that snow pic looks liek EDC? XD
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

any follow up?
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #45
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
yeah he looks like EDC, and i guess they're lucky that they won't be seeing jailtime in a US Jail wow that guy would be everybodies bitch

they probably sent all the money they got back to china so i doubt that MSFT will see any of it back either
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote