REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
BRING SALMON!!!!
actually you should buy salmon from them. back where i used to live this native guy always sold salmon in my neighbourhood for really cheap... i suggest buy some fish from them. usually they got a great selection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Has anyone actually purchased a car off the reserve, or is everyone just gonna throw out shallow offensive jokes against Indians.
russell peters is indian.. they are called natives..

but on a more serious note..

just go to the damn reserve.. and find out for yourself..
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

This thread makes me laugh. With there being pretty much zero RS members of native decent, there is no one here to take offense at the stereotypes being shot out. If a thread like this were to be started about going to Richmond and buying bags of rice from the orientals, two thirds of the board would be up in arms.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Its still a lot cheaper than buying individual slices from Save On Foods or IGA though, no? The fish were quite large too.
a frozen pink fillet (half a fish) should run about 2 dollars at save-on. this year (being an odd year) will bring ~14 million pinks to the fraser and you will see fresh fish with the head off selling for 2-3 dollars.

personally, if you're buying frozen salmon I'd reccommend not buying pinks as they turn mushy. fresh pinks though are great.
GreenBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #29
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
You don't even know what racist means. What are you going to do, use your mod privileges to edit my post again like last time I called you out?

Racism: hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

How is calling natives "indians" a racist term? Go take a student loan out, go back to school and take some history lessons. Research what christopher columbus thought when he reached the "new land". He thought he reached asia, and the natives he saw here were people from india. That's not racism, that's a misinterpretation that developed into a socially acceptable term used commonly today as Natives, Native Indians, Indians.
So calling someone a "jew" or a "jap" is fine and not racist right...?

I don't need to point out the idiocy in your post. I'll leave that for you.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

think what bnr is saying is
canada = canadian
japan = japanese
India = indian
stating that the natives = from india therefore indians.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #31
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
^ hey i never thought of it that way, just because it was related to colonization, doesn't mean it's racist? brain is farting!!!

this thread makes me lol though

I wonder if he's buying a cherokee
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #32
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The guys making these "jokes" r ignorant fucks, lay off, uve heard of one group of native kids back east sniffing gas, there are drunks but every culture has them.

Im native, Haida to be more precise. now get an education morons.

its not racist to call us indians, its just not politically correct, changes so often tho that ppl dont know how to refer to eachothers races. like blacks, africans, afro-american/canadian whatever, no biggie just learn and try not to come across as an ignorant ass.

Last edited by 98twofourty; 06-18-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added stuff
98twofourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #33
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeans View Post
a frozen pink fillet (half a fish) should run about 2 dollars at save-on. this year (being an odd year) will bring ~14 million pinks to the fraser and you will see fresh fish with the head off selling for 2-3 dollars.

personally, if you're buying frozen salmon I'd reccommend not buying pinks as they turn mushy. fresh pinks though are great.
Thanx for the fish heads up! Mind you this was nearly 9 years ago and I left Vancouver years ago haha!
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98twofourty View Post
The guys making these "jokes" r ignorant fucks, lay off, uve heard of one group of native kids back east sniffing gas, there are drunks but every culture has them.

its not racist to call us indians, its just not politically correct, changes so often tho that ppl dont know how to refer to eachothers races. like blacks, africans, afro-american/canadian whatever, no biggie just learn and try not to come across as an ignorant ass.
Indeed. Racism should have no place anywhere.
Natives should especially given lots of respect - they were here before us, marginalized continually, and had an entire generation traumatized from the kids being taken away and abused in Catholic residential schools.
People are a product of their environment - I honestly believe there are very few "bad" people. It is important to recognize that the guy you see in a Porsche and the guy you see homeless in the DTES probably did not grow up in the same fashion.

From personal experience, my best friend from elementary school is now a crack/heroin etc schizophrenic addict, homeless in the DTES. Before you guys rush to decide he's white, or Native, he's East Indian (Sikh).
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #35
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
With there being pretty much zero RS members of native decent, there is no one here to take offense at the stereotypes being shot out.
there are a couple here. I am one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98twofourty View Post

I agree, I work for the Indian Band here and because of this I have gotten to see both the good sides and the bad sides. Unfortunately the only people that really get to see the good side are people in the government industries because they're the ones that we work with.
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
So calling someone a "jew" or a "jap" is fine and not racist right...?

I don't need to point out the idiocy in your post. I'll leave that for you.
I'll make it easy for you

1) Sign off revscene
2) go to library
3) ask for dictionary (since you'd have trouble finding it anyways)
4) look up "context". ask librarian to look up CON-text if youre having trouble finding it

after you find out what context means, you should know if you use words in a certain context, you can change their meaning.

"That community center is full of jews" *points at jewish community center*
^ not racist

"That community center is full of jews" *points at cheap community center*
^ racist

likewise, unless you been sleeping in a cave hooked up to the internet and surfing revscene all your life, you'll know that the term "indian" is far from racist, just politically incorrect at best.

how does it feel to get taught by bnr32?

Last edited by BNR32_Coupe; 06-19-2009 at 07:57 AM.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Im sure some industrial strength glue would be a fair trade for a car on the res!!
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,428 Posts
Quote:

1) Sign off revscene
2) go to library
4) look up "context". ask librarian to look up CON-text if youre having trouble finding it

after you find out what context means, you should know if you use words in a certain context, you can change their meaning.

^ not racist

^ racist

likewise, unless you been sleeping in a cave hooked up to the internet and surfing revscene all your life, you'll know that the term "indian" is far from racist, just politically incorrect at best.

Be that as it may in that context and tone do make a difference, the term "Jew" itself still has negative, politically incorrect, connotations; even if many of the "less informed" members of society do not realize it (whether because they never come across it, or are too young to know a time where those words DID have a more racial undertone to them). It may not be as severe as a "racist" term, but it is not the best word to use. I put it along the same 'gray area' as with "negro," "oriental," "jap," "homo," etc.

As 98twofourty said, the terms are no so much racist, but more so Un-PC due to the connotation that can be attached to it. Though I don't like this overly PC crap, I personally err on the side of caution whenever possible in order to avoid situations or misunderstandings like this.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Be that as it may in that context and tone do make a difference, the term "Jew" itself still has negative, politically incorrect, connotations; even if many of the "less informed" members of society do not realize it (whether because they never come across it, or are too young to know a time where those words DID have a more racial undertone to them). It may not be as severe as a "racist" term, but it is not the best word to use. I put it along the same 'gray area' as with "negro," "oriental," "jap," "homo," etc.

As 98twofourty said, the terms are no so much racist, but more so Un-PC due to the connotation that can be attached to it. Though I don't like this overly PC crap, I personally err on the side of caution whenever possible in order to avoid situations or misunderstandings like this.
Thanks for clearing that up. Let's be clear that the term Jews (plural), as I used in my aforementioned post to CRS, is a politically correct term.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #40
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
Shouldn't be any different than going to anyone else's house and asking to buy something that they aren't advertising.
Except most people don't throw rocks at you for being white. Happened to me a few years back when I took a wrong turn and stumbled upon a reservation block party. Yeah, they started throwing rocks at my car and told me to 'get the fuck outta here!'. Kinda gave me a bad impression of them which is kind of sad really.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #41
CRS

Quote:

1) Sign off revscene
2) go to library

^ not racist

^ racist

I sincerely hope you realize the idiocy of your post. I enjoy how you withdrew a little in the end there with "just politically incorrect at best". Nice.

Either way, I accept your apology.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #42
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

indian is simply an incorrect terminology, nothing offensive about it. the correct terms are native, first nations or aboriginal. this doesnt mean i or any other native will be offended by being called an indian many still refer to themselves as indian (or ndn as you may some times see in written form)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Except most people don't throw rocks at you for being white. Happened to me a few years back when I took a wrong turn and stumbled upon a reservation block party. Yeah, they started throwing rocks at my car and told me to 'get the fuck outta here!'. Kinda gave me a bad impression of them which is kind of sad really.
rather unfortunate that you experienced this, but this is not widely accepted behaviour amongst our people (atleast i hope this is the case) as i have never witnessed such stupidity. that being said if i got a bad impression of an entire race simply due to one bad experience, i would have a distaste for half the world right now, we all come across bad eggs in our life.
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

I sincerely hope you realize the idiocy of your post. I enjoy how you withdrew a little in the end there with "just politically incorrect at best". Nice.

Either way, I accept your apology.

Well I enjoy how you just crown yourself the winner after every post. It reminds me of when kids argue, one would just be like "NOPE, I WIN " and cover their ears "nananana can't hear you cause I won!!" I thought you had to be over the age of 13 to be a part of RS?

Political correctness and racism are two different things. I just won this arguement. I accept your apology and offer to blow me, but its not gay if you wear lipstick and a wig.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #44
Need to Seek Professional Help

They're Indians. You can't call them natives, aboriginals, first nations etc. because if you're outside Canada how do you refer to them?

They're Indians for fucks sake. It's not that hard. And people from Indian are East Indians.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
They're Indians. You can't call them natives, aboriginals, first nations etc. because if you're outside Canada how do you refer to them?

They're Indians for fucks sake. It's not that hard. And people from Indian are East Indians.
the canadian gvnt actually refers to them as "status indians". However, it's been made clear that for the most part, while not necessarily offended, most aboriginals prefer to be called aboriginal, native etc. etc.

So I don't really understand your point. Fuck what they wanna be called and just call them Indians cause that's what they were first called by racist white people who landed in north america thinking it was india? Should we also go ahead and call black ppl the n word, because of similar racist white people coining the term before "black"?
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #46
CRS

Quote:
Well I enjoy how you just crown yourself the winner after every post. It reminds me of when kids argue, one would just be like "NOPE, I WIN " and cover their ears "nananana can't hear you cause I won!!" I thought you had to be over the age of 13 to be a part of RS?

Political correctness and racism are two different things. I just won this arguement. I accept your apology and offer to blow me, but its not gay if you wear lipstick and a wig.
I enjoy your hypocrisy. Too bad reading comprehension > you. I never crowned myself the winner. But I do accept your apology.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
This is why I get bad service from you all the time hey, I was wondering why I wasn't getting the happy endings anymore...

Indians don't get offended by being called Indian. We're not Black

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
I bringith the lowerballerith

it would be safer to just by a honda from a "east indian" ,.,.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisQo View Post
Indians don't get offended by being called Indian. We're not Black
what indian are you talking about
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

i thot Indians were brown
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote