REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Hi-Beams!...Why? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/579542-hi-beams-why.html)

Mr.Michael 06-16-2009 11:09 PM

Hi-Beams!...Why?

Ok, So for the past few days iv been driving at night and everyone i see on the road has there hi-beams on. In front of me and behind me.
Is it legal to drive around like this?... Cant wait to put HID's back on...

325ist 06-16-2009 11:16 PM

I had a guy in a lifted pick up with his hids do this to me (tailgating hi beams) I raged but the only thing I could do was boost away. Its not leagal but try to prove it. I think road rage is ok if you win

Mr.Michael 06-17-2009 12:01 AM

Hears a good one... a rav4 was facing me at a red light. Only driver side light works, so he put his high beam on to i guess make up for loss light...damn fools

impactX 06-17-2009 12:03 AM

When I am on my bike, I always use my high-beams.

saiko 06-17-2009 01:42 AM

If they're behind me, I usually change lanes and let them pass. Try to avoid the headache of having the lights blind me.

Or I pick it up a little.. because usually I'm driving too slow.

SkinnyPupp 06-17-2009 03:37 AM

-slow down
-let them pass
-turn on your high beams

skidmark 06-17-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 6469497)

I can certainly understand why, but I wonder if it might not be better to install a headlight modulator. It may draw more attention to you.

wing_woo 06-17-2009 11:24 AM

I hate it when people don't have their lights aimed properly and they'll be blinding you and they are none the wiser to it cause to them, everything's fine cause they are not using their high beams.

n1smo 06-17-2009 11:59 AM

i know everyone keeps on using there high beams upsets me

stutterr 06-17-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1smo (Post 6470033)
i know everyone keeps on using there high beams upsets me

Just flick your mirror so it does not blind you from behind. That little tab on your rear view was designed to do this. Quite a simple concept.

I know when I had my Yukon Denali it would only piss off those slammed little civics. I would guess that if you had your car at a safe ride height, and used commonsense, this would not be a problem.

Also those cheap ricers running around with HID's that have no cutoff should be taken off the road. The scatter of light is retarded and very unsafe.

I have also seen so many RHD JDM cars where the lights are angled to the left, instead of off to the right to light up road signs. Since in Japan they drive on the other side of the road, the cutoff is aimed to the left , not the proper direction on our roads.

MikeyStyle 06-17-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saiko (Post 6469566)
If they're behind me, I usually change lanes and let them pass. Try to avoid the headache of having the lights blind me.

Or I pick it up a little.. because usually I'm driving too slow.

oh man, i'm blinded from every direction in our cars

sebberry 06-17-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Thank you for helping to blind the motoring public.

What's the section of the MVA for failing to dim headlights?

sebberry 06-17-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Michael (Post 6469390)
Cant wait to put HID's back on...

Even in a proper projector housing designed for HIDs, they're still too bright, especially with all the bumps and dips in the road around here. Too many oppertunities for oncoming drivers to get the full amount of light under the cutoff in their eyes.

Not to mention the annoying color shifts, etc...

kumbo1 06-17-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Isn't this guy with the VPD???Wow, you got real class there. Next time remind me to high beam the hell out of you. You think you someone special that you ride a motorbike?:rolleyes:

Quicksilver 06-17-2009 09:25 PM

If you came at me with the high beams on, and failed to dim them after the warning flash (DRL then regular lights...NOT high beams), then you get the full extent of my driving lights...and if you're behind me you get the work lights and back up lights.

Soundy 06-18-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 6470753)
If you came at me with the high beams on, and failed to dim them after the warning flash (DRL then regular lights...NOT high beams), then you get the full extent of my driving lights...and if you're behind me you get the work lights and back up lights.

Yeah, small problem with that, it's illegal to be driving around with auxiliary lights not covered with an opaque cover... so you're no better than the high-beamers, and when you both get tickets, yours will be a lot more substantial.

CRS 06-18-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumbo1 (Post 6470557)
Isn't this guy with the VPD???Wow, you got real class there. Next time remind me to high beam the hell out of you. You think you someone special that you ride a motorbike?:rolleyes:

:haha:

I see sarcasm eludes you.

CA_FTW 06-18-2009 08:50 AM

I ride with my High Beams on my Bike as well..

Car dont see us as it is.. I would rather be alive, then worry that someone is made cause they got some light from my bike in there eyes.

sebberry 06-18-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_FTW (Post 6471284)
I ride with my High Beams on my Bike as well..

Car dont see us as it is.. I would rather be alive, then worry that someone is made cause they got some light from my bike in there eyes.

It's not that they don't see you because there is not enough light, they don't see you because you are small. It's easy to hide an entire bike and rider behind a window pillar or something else outside the car.

I also find it hard to see the bike's front yellow markers when the bike has the high-beam on, potentially making it harder to tell if it is a bike or a car with one head light working.

Mr.Michael 06-18-2009 09:29 PM

^^ good point...

Wow...I didn't think this thread would catch so much attention

wing_woo 06-19-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6472136)
It's not that they don't see you because there is not enough light, they don't see you because you are small. It's easy to hide an entire bike and rider behind a window pillar or something else outside the car.

I also find it hard to see the bike's front yellow markers when the bike has the high-beam on, potentially making it harder to tell if it is a bike or a car with one head light working.

Bikes are hard to see. Example is yesterday, there was a motorcyclist riding in my blind spot. I knew he was there cause I turned right from 4th onto Burrard and he turned left from 4th on to Burrard. Because I turned right, I was in the right lane but needed to go to the left lane. I had my window open so I could hear him and I knew he was there, but I didn't know how close he was and for the life of me, I couldn't see him. I almost had to stick my head out of the window. The guy was going exact same speed as me and was basically right by my rear pillar so even shoulder checking, I couldn't see him. I've never encountered anyone riding so perfectly in my blind spot that I couldn't see him.

Fleemer 06-19-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6469961)
I can certainly understand why, but I wonder if it might not be better to install a headlight modulator. It may draw more attention to you.

I thought modulators were illegal (atleast the brake light ones)
Also, is it illegal to mod your motorcycle that is meant to run 1 headlight low beam, and the other high beam to dual. (so both or either or)

I always drive my motorcycle with high beams on, and my motorcycle is "audibly noticeable" as well, but in victoria, it doesn't matter. Drivers seem to see you as some cone that can move out of their way.

shenmecar 06-19-2009 12:35 PM

my mom's speculation is that those drivers with their hi-beams on (95% female), do not know that it is on. I have had my mom's frds drive me home and they turn on their hi-beams the moment they start their cars, of course, i tell them to turn it off because its annoying to the oncoming drivers. Basically, if theres a switch and makes vision better at night, they will push it, regardless of the situation.

Fleemer 06-19-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6473347)
my mom's speculation is that those drivers with their hi-beams on (95% female), do not know that it is on. I have had my mom's frds drive me home and they turn on their hi-beams the moment they start their cars, of course, i tell them to turn it off because its annoying to the oncoming drivers. Basically, if theres a switch and makes vision better at night, they will push it, regardless of the situation.

Ahhh yes, the stereotypical female driver.... too many stories.. :P

CRS 06-20-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleemer (Post 6473924)
Ahhh yes, the stereotypical female driver.... too many stories.. :P

It's not really stereotyping if it is true... Amirite?

;)