REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 07-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
^^^ don't think so, it was sold to Jas, Jas built the team4 drag car with it, and then sold it. I thought i saw it for sale on here again by the new owner
yup Jake from nanaimo bought it but i believe he is selling it to buy a house or something along those lines.

James, the GSR is still at Prashants parents house. I dont think it will be seeing daylight anytime soon. I believe his priorities have changed as he is living in england.
Advertisement

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dipper View Post
too many thefts are keeping ppl away from posting their projects and heading out for meets.

as well, most of the guys that started this site have gotten older and priorities have changed.
You pretty much nailed it ; I'v got two ongoing projects (the STI and the Integra) and rarely have time even to touch them other than to drive to work. 90-120 hours of work each week really dissolves any free time that you might have to invest in your cars.

Sadly, I keep amassing parts for each cars with the intent of working on them. Sitting in my parents garage, for instance, are brand new calipers, Power Slot slotted rotors, stainless brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, Sparco Torino seats, a Mugen camcover, a Spoon exhaust and so on and so forth and that's just for the Integra. I have an even more absurd pile of parts for the STI that have been gathering dust for years.

It's just a challenge to balance work, life, and hobbies when you aren't fresh out of high-school with a significant amount of social time at your disposal. I remember how great it was to spend a lot of time on here back in 2000 and 2001 with Jas, Chris, Steve, Prashant, Darren, Eric, Ian, etc., etc., but people eventually move on and let's be honest, within a mainstream context the import/sport-compact scene is effectively dead so Revscene is attracting new membership.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

And the posts have dropped by 50% since Tamas lost interest and quit posting every other post on every thread on all the forums including fight club.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The Internet in general has seen its forums participation fall overall.I post at several computer tech boards as well as a couple other auto forums and some general OT type messageboards and all have seen a major decline in posts.It might be people are bored ,it may be Twitter and Facebook type apps have taken over,remember when everyone used an instant messenger app,yep times change.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I hope that people have just come to realize that there is a world that doesn't involve the computer. I only generally view this site (and many others) for a laugh, which sadly comes more at the expense of people who do not know what they are talking about.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #31
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,177 Times in 614 Posts
are you talking about this group?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...id=90375415670

i posted a question, it got deleted so posted a 2nd question, wasnt trying to start anything either =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ataman View Post
The Timmie's Friday night meet seems to be fading away too. I'm lucky if I know more than a couple of people when I go once in a while now. I think maybe we do need a meet so that more people can get to know each other again.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
REV Competition | JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Drive Hard Performance | the Blackmarkers Clothing | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Thanked 3,079 Times in 683 Posts
OG checking in!

Steve you definitely hit the nail on the head. Priorities change. I have come out to a few more Timmies meets lately and saw Jewelz and Nashman.

Now where is that pic of Prashant's GSR inside Silver City for the first Fast and the Furious!?

I have met lots of cool people and had many good times thanks to this site. Prarie Inn, Food Drives, Tillicum Mall Car Show, SuperCruise, UVIC/Beach drive cruises!

Facebook and twitter both suck!
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #33
2-Wheelin' Mod

Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,177 Times in 614 Posts
wow that was back in the day...

and yet... it was only last week that i heard another one liner from The Fast n the Furious...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
REV Competition | JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Drive Hard Performance | the Blackmarkers Clothing | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #35
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Been dying/dead for a while. Sadly, it seems that the import scene and culture kind has a bit overall.

Ever since I started working Friday nights I haven't been able to go to timmies meets. In-person meets and events were a big factor of keeping the community alive probably. The memories = priceless!

like night boxing with reuban in port alberni........

or

mad crazy cabin parties in the mountains.....

great times.
VI Imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #36
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI Imports View Post

or

mad crazy cabin parties in the mountains.....

great times.
I still haven't seen my video boxing David. Damn you Julie!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
V8 Mod

David wants to fight you again Coal... 2009 rematch! RS island side has been dead for years. Steve is right, 2002-2005 were the best years for sure. I remember so many different local beefs but we still all got together and cruised. The days of the old quarter and car meets till 6am are long gone.
SharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #38
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I think new cars are a big reason why the import scene is slowly dying off. Now you can buy a new 370z with massive rims, 330hp, fully loaded, exceptional handling, nice styling etc. for some 40k. Is there really any point in modding anymore? What are you going to do? Swap the 19's for 20's?
Croatian7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #39
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian7 View Post
I think new cars are a big reason why the import scene is slowly dying off. Now you can buy a new 370z with massive rims, 330hp, fully loaded, exceptional handling, nice styling etc. for some 40k. Is there really any point in modding anymore? What are you going to do? Swap the 19's for 20's?
And if you mod your car it becomes a massive target for theft...

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #40
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI Imports View Post
My ankle was never the same again after that night
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #41
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolz24 View Post
According to the name of this pic on my hard drive, it was Feb 21/01.

Oh the memories...Lot 1 at UVIC I believe wasn't it?
Who was it with the white VW on the left? I can't remember. I also can't remember the guy who owned the other VW's name either...was it Ben or something or was Ben the white one???
And there was Micheal with the 4-door third gen integra that showed up just after this picture.

This was just after Dave and I spent like 8hrs trying to change the spark plugs on his Camaro.
Blue 1993 AWD S10 Extended Cab - Garage Bitch
Gigarange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #42
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I don't think new cars or theft are really to blame for the decline in the scene. What makes up the bulk of enthusiasts and probably bulk of the money being spent as well are teenagers and young people that can't afford a $40,000 car. That's why they buy cheap used ones and tune them in the first place. Hell, I can't afford a $40,000 car.

Everything has it's hayday, times have changed and the new blood that fills out the forum and scene in general are doing other things. Socially they've had different influences as well. When I started gas prices were relatively low, you didn't really see any "go green" campaigns in the media, and my peers didn't really have an interest in those things either. I'm sure being constantly surrounded by this coming up to the age you start driving has an influence.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #43
B&S Sexy mod

plus it takes an extra year or two to be able to drive on your own now, which in all likelihood would slow the influx of new car enthusiasts when all you old buggers are leaving due to life taking over
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #44
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ya us old buggers have lives haha i have my store to run .. and other priorities but i still check here every so often
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

There you go, there's another guy that hasn't been on here for so long he still has his old MR2 in his signature. Do you go to Timmie's anymore Craig?
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ataman View Post
There you go, there's another guy that hasn't been on here for so long he still has his old MR2 in his signature. Do you go to Timmie's anymore Craig?

i haven't been since the beginning of last year ..
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #47
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigarange View Post
Who was it with the white VW on the left?
Was it Poya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigarange View Post
This was just after Dave and I spent like 8hrs trying to change the spark plugs on his Camaro.
HAHAHAHA!! Try spark plug wires on the passenger side.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #48
Island Mod

Poya's VW is/was red unless he had a white one before I met him which was right after this meet.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #49
RS Veteran

Poya's was red.
The white one was Ben's.
The gold one was mine.

I come back here for shits and giggles every couple of months. To read all the new posts from the last time takes about 5 mins, less than that for stuff I actually want to read.
VW GOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #50
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 1,643 Times in 402 Posts
I haven't logged onto the site in many months but I was shocked to see how few threads were active on the Island forums. I think there are like 7 or 8 that have been posted in in the last MONTH in General Chat.

Lots of memories in this thread though. Thinking back to the 02-05 days like Steve mentioned brought a smile to my face, I kind of miss those nights when we used to cruise around until 3am in Sooke, the West Shore, Durrance (haha). I'd love to go for a reunion cruise sometime, if it's ever organized please drop me a line. I promise I'm not such a wanker anymore and it would be cool to see what everyone's upto these days.

I ride by the Friday night Timmies meets all the time and still see some familiar faces and cars now and then though they're dwindling in numbers for sure. Times change, people change, sad reality. The glory days of RS are long gone though I'm sure some of the friendships made through this site will last a lot longer and in the end.... that's what it was all about to begin with.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote