REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Ford Developing "Laser" spark plugs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582892-ford-developing-laser-spark-plugs.html)

Great68 07-17-2009 08:39 AM

Ford Developing "Laser" spark plugs

Quote:

Ford and the University of Liverpool are owrking on a new laser ignition system for automobiles.

ZoomFord is teaming up with the University of Liverpool to throw out the old-school spark plugs and design a laser ignition system for internal-combustion engines. According to The Telegraph, a fiber-optic cable--powered by the car's battery--shoots the laser beam to a focusing lens that would consume a much smaller space than current spark plugs. The lenses focus the beams into an intense pinprick of light, and when the fuel is injected into the engine, the laser is fired and produces enough heat to ignite the fuel.

The University researchers claim that the new technology--using lasers to ignite the fuel--is more reliable and efficient than current spark plug technology. Although the laser will need to fire more than 50 times per second to produce 3000 RPM, it will require less power than current spark plugs. The lasers can also reflect back from inside the cylinders to relay information based on fuel type used and the level of ignition, enabling cars to readjust the quantities of air and fuel for optimum performance.

"Lasers can be focused and split into multiple beams to give multiple ignition points, which means it can give a far better chance of ignition," said Dr. Tom Shenton, leader of the project. "This can really improve the performance of the engine when it is cold, as this is the time when around 80 per cent of the exhaust emissions are produced and the engine is at is least efficient. The laser also produces more stable combustion so you need to put less fuel into the cylinder."

Ford said that it plans to implement the new technology into its top of the range vehicles within the next few years, and then make the laser ignition system available for its remaining models sometime thereafter.
I like this, they're still finding innovations with the internal combustion engine. Who said ICE's reached their technological peaks years ago.

sonick 07-17-2009 08:47 AM

Wake me when they strap them onto tiny sharks in the combustion chamber.

Peew-peew.

q0192837465 07-17-2009 09:02 AM

it sounds good. hope Ford can become a world leader again

asian_XL 07-17-2009 10:07 AM

probably very expensive

Mancini 07-17-2009 10:25 AM

I'm really curious to see what kind of efficiency and power they're getting with this system.

Rich Sandor 07-17-2009 11:59 AM

i'm curious if I take the laser plugs out can I shoot them at things?

The_AK 07-17-2009 01:06 PM

http://www.startrekweapons.com/images/1laser05.jpg

BNR32_Coupe 07-17-2009 01:14 PM

shouldnt they be focusing on developing and refining alternative fuels?

sixthgear 07-17-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6512068)
shouldnt they be focusing on developing and refining alternative fuels?

I bet they have more than one group developing future technologies.....Just a thought.

!SG 07-17-2009 02:35 PM

ahh, so they found a new person in charge for FORD!

http://www.thinking-chair.com/spider...evil_thumb.jpg

shenmecar 07-17-2009 02:44 PM

"Laser" beam =)

skyxx 07-17-2009 04:08 PM

There's still so much left in the common combustion engine to explore. Nissan recently started to introduce Dual fuel injectors for their engines as well. We're on to a good start. :D

Overseas Auto1 07-17-2009 04:09 PM

diesel engines do not use spark plugs

Lomac 07-17-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overseas Auto1 (Post 6512335)
diesel engines do not use spark plugs

Who mentioned anything about diesel engines/glow plugs? :confused:

!LittleDragon 07-17-2009 05:34 PM

Go Ford Go! Cars with freakin lasers... lol

But don't lasers that get hot enough to ignite something use some mega wattage? How would this tax the alternator? And wouldn't a laser of this wattage eventually burn through the engine block over time?

WHEYsted 07-17-2009 05:36 PM

Preparation H

Nightwalker 07-17-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 6512449)

But don't lasers that get hot enough to ignite something use some mega wattage? How would this tax the alternator? And wouldn't a laser of this wattage eventually burn through the engine block over time?

Quote:

Although the laser will need to fire more than 50 times per second to produce 3000 RPM, it will require less power than current spark plugs.
I guess they're all over that already

EmOne 07-17-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 6512449)

my laser pointer that takes 2 aaa batteries can light matches and pop ballons.
Burning a hole through the block :haha::haha::haha:

death_blossom 07-17-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6512334)
There's still so much left in the common combustion engine to explore. Nissan recently started to introduce Dual fuel injectors for their engines as well. We're on to a good start. :D

in this set up, Nissan is using two fuel injectors per cylinder? the use of "dual fuel injectors" has already been done a long time ago.

Noizz 07-18-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 6512591)
in this set up, Nissan is using two fuel injectors per cylinder? the use of "dual fuel injectors" has already been done a long time ago.

Yeah my bike had a primary and secondary set of fuel injectors. I'm sure alot of other bikes do too. Pretty nifty, I wasn't expecting another line of injectors when I tore it apart.

orange7 07-18-2009 01:00 AM

alright.. more job opportunities for me in the future

asian_XL 07-18-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmOne (Post 6512572)
my laser pointer that takes 2 aaa batteries can light matches and pop ballons.
Burning a hole through the block :haha::haha::haha:

umm...no, do you even own one? it doesn't burn shit

Lomac 07-18-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6512985)
umm...no, do you even own one? it doesn't burn shit

Ever played around with the laser out of a 16x rewritable dvd drive? ;)

Rich Sandor 07-18-2009 11:42 AM

You can modify the laser pointers to light a match or pop a balloon, and the dvd lasers can do it without modification. Just google it, there's lots of cool stuff out there.

orange7 07-18-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6513011)
Ever played around with the laser out of a 16x rewritable dvd drive? ;)

no, but i've played with laser pointers and pissed the shit out of my profs/teachers