REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
noob

Big headache with someone I sold to

I sold a 30" Dell monitor this morning to a guy using Craigslist.
He e-mailed me then I gave him my number to which he then called me to setup a meeting.
Everything went normally since I've used Craigslist a bunch of times without a problem.
The gentleman arrives at my place and says he's in a rush so its like a super quick in & out transaction.
I didn't have the monitor setup but I asked him if he'd like to test it out which I had no problem doing. The guy says no making some excuse that he's in a rush so I'm all like okkkkkkk dude (in my mind) Thought that was odd since I sold it to him for $860 (not chump change)

This evening I received a call from him telling me he wants his money back because the LCD screen isn't working. Now I don't know about you but I'm kind of peeved off by this guy. I told him its not my fault the LCD screen isn't working. For all I know the screen could have damaged by him by accident while it was in his possession. To make matters worse is the fact he is threatening me saying he's gonna come over and "get his money back one way or another". I'm actually quite nervous because I've never handled this kind of a situation before. Does anyone know what I can do?
I really don't want this mess to blow up but on the other hand I don't think I should refund him his money. I am 99% positive the screen was working before it left my house.
Advertisement
AsBannedAsItGets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
I would be careful, he could of had the exact screen and hes trying to scam you by switching it. I would tell him sorry deals done and thats it!!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Seems like it's his own fault for having the faulty monitor, it was sold as is and you have him the chance of testing it. If he tries anything you could always assemble an RS Beatdown Crew.
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

sounds like he's trying to scam you. if you feel threatened for your personal safety then call the police and file a report.

whatever you do, don't refund his money.

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

call the police and let them know what happened
dun open ur door the whole way to talk to him if he comes back
and if he shows up and wont leave call the police right away
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

since he was in a hurry at the time of sale, it is his own fault for not checking the condition what he purchased when he lseft. if he threatens you, arm yourself with pepper spray and a ball bat but taser also helps
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
like other just said...be quick and file a report with the police. Print out the CL ad then
tell them the story. It is also necessary for you to prove them your monitor was in
working condition before the transaction (ex a picture of your monitor is working
condition).

If he is threatening you again, tell him you have filed a report with a police, and suggest
him to bring that to a small claim court. There are many scammers out there, so beware
of them.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
isnt that gun in CS?

ps, you need a 50 cal if you want to get your message across
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

KONG-PAO his ass and don't forget the kick in the groin.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

this is why I never conduct business at my house.

I don't think u will either after this.

I'd say it's his fault for being careless and "in a rush". and probably everyone would agree. But there's little u can do about it except file a report saying he's threatening you. document, tape, video everything.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I run my business off of craigslist. Honestly, I have never had a problem, but I never give people any more than my cell phone number. I sold one thing ages ago in my house, and I felt weird having him there, and decided to never do it again.

Approach everyone with the idea that it may go badly. That attitude has never let me down (yet)
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Your best bet would be to file a police report. Include all details and names so if something happens to you, there's going to be a record of it.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

yeah...fuck that guy...he should have checked it during transaction. My guess is, he's trying to scam you. If he calls you again, tell him it worked, and he was offered to check it, and that you think he's scamming you; call him on it....even if he's not scamming, maybe that would make him realize he should check merchandise in a transaction, and he'll back off.
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
police report
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I run my business off of craigslist. Honestly, I have never had a problem, but I never give people any more than my cell phone number. I sold one thing ages ago in my house, and I felt weird having him there, and decided to never do it again.

Approach everyone with the idea that it may go badly. That attitude has never let me down (yet)
yea I've had the same situation where I've sold one thing out of my house and it felt weird. I always meet people in a public place nowadays, brentwood usually.

sounds like a scam i'd follow everyone elses advice a file a report
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

i use craigslist on a daily to sell or buy, everytime i have to do a transaction.... i make sure its held at a public place, anything over $500 i copy down his/hers personal id and i show mine in return.
cobra_commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,550 Times in 845 Posts
Buyers own problem. Whenever you buy an electronic, you always check if its working right. The second that item leaves the house, its entirely the buyers own responsibility whether it works or not. You didn't offer him a warranty/guarantee that it would work, you offered him to test it and he declined to test it. You have nothing to be afraid of.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Buyers own problem. Whenever you buy an electronic, you always check if its working right. The second that item leaves the house, its entirely the buyers own responsibility whether it works or not. You didn't offer him a warranty/guarantee that it would work, you offered him to test it and he declined to test it. You have nothing to be afraid of.
x1
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
He's definitely trying to scam you. Call the cops man.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Don't refund his money, file a police report if he keeps threatening you. That's why you should always meet up in a public place and not your house, if they really want to test it out you can always bring it over to their house.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #22
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The first thing that stands out to me from your story is that he was in a rush and didn't want to see if the LCD was working, that's a major red flag seeing how the LCD wasn't exactly cheap because most people would want to see the damn thing working before paying $800+. I would ignore this guy, if he calls again tell him you're going to call the police and report him for threaten you. Not sure what the cops will do but not a bad idea to call them anyways if shit gets out of control.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #23
Need to Seek Professional Help

Cops won't do anything unless he actually comes to your house and assaults you.

Keep your doors locked and don't answer the phone. If he comes to your front door then you call the cops, and try to make it that he doesn't know your inside.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Cops won't do anything unless he actually comes to your house and assaults you.

Keep your doors locked and don't answer the phone. If he comes to your front door then you call the cops, and try to make it that he doesn't know your inside.
+ let him leave you a message on your phone. if he says anything like "i will fuck you up if you dont give me my money back" then you have evidence to produce if needed. if your close with your neighbours advice them about the problem and if they see the car drive by or parked infront of your home its another evidence that this guy is harrassing you.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #25
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsRealAsItGets View Post
Thought that was odd since I sold it to him for $860 (not chump change)
I don't think it's a scam. No self-respecting scam artist would leave his capital under the custody and control of his mark and leave the onus of rerieving it upon himself.

That's just a horrible scam in which the advantage is actually for the benefit of "the mark." My bests guess is if the Monitor was not sold damaged, it probably occurred during transport. His threats are probably coming from the same place your frustration is coming from. He probably thinks you scammed him just as much as some people think he's scamming you.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote