REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   3 minute idle rule (https://www.revscene.net/forums/584983-3-minute-idle-rule.html)

TheSalesman 08-06-2009 01:28 PM

3 minute idle rule

Does this rule apply no matter where you are? I am working on my car under my car port and had the car running. So my bitch ass neighbore comes over and tells me I have 3 minutes because i have to turn off the car and that's the law. So I just waited 3 mins went and drove around the block and came back and idle for 3 more mins. But really, i can turn the car off and turn it back on for another 3 mins, cant I? I hate my neighbores. Only one side complains. The neighbores on the other side don't really care.

wnderinguy 08-06-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

# Exemptions from the by-law. Most recent by-laws have a large number of exemptions from the prohibition against idling. The following are typically exempted from the idling provisions, except where idling is "substantially for the convenience of the operator:"

* Fire, police and medical service vehicles
* Vehicles participating in emergency activity
* Vehicles stuck in traffic
* Hot (+27°C) or cold (-5°C) weather conditions
* Passengers with a medical letter certifying their need for controlled temperature or humidity
* Mobile workshops with equipment powered by the motor, during the course of their work
* Where idling is necessary for maintenance or repair of the vehicle
* Transit vehicles while passengers are embarking or disembarking
* Transit vehicles at a layover or stopover with passengers on board
* Vehicles in a parade or other event authorized by the community
* Armoured vehicles.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-g...ws.cfm?attr=28

I wasn't able to find Vancouver's exact wording ,so it may be different ,North Vans bylaw states to "reduce unnecessary idling on streets" so....

Great68 08-06-2009 02:08 PM

Depends on the city, for example:

The Vancouver bylaw reads as follows:

Idling
2.7 A person must not cause or permit a motor vehicle to idle:
(a) for more than three consecutive minutes in a 60 minute period; or
(b) while unattended and unlocked.
Idling exception
2.8 Section 2.7(a) does not apply to a:
(a) motor vehicle that contains or has attached to it equipment requiring power
from the engine to operate in the course of the operation of such equipment
for a commercial or public purpose;
(b) police, fire, ambulance, or other emergency motor vehicle in the course of the
performance of police, fire, ambulance, or other emergency duties including
training activities;
(c) motor vehicle in the course of assistance in an emergency;
(d) armoured motor vehicle, used to transport money or valuables, in which a
person remains to guard the contents, in the course of the loading or unloading
of such money or valuables;
(e) motor vehicle in the course of a race or parade Council has approved; or
(f) bus while its passengers are in the course of embarking or disembarking.

While the bylaw for the city of Williams Lake has a similar bylaw, but with the following exception:

5.8 This policy does not apply to vehicles being serviced or inspected

Basically, the Vancouver city councillors are a bunch of boneheads who could not think of all the different scenarios when they created their bylaw. But realistically what cop or bylaw officer is going to come all the way to your house to tell you to stop idling your car while you work on it. You'd think that they would have better things to do.

TheSalesman 08-06-2009 02:21 PM

alright, so basically even if my neighbores come over and complain about the 3minute rule. I can just leave it idling while working on it? And the part that requires the engine to be running to use equipment (my laptop) is fine. alright, I guess i'll tell the b!tch next door to shut it.

winson604 08-06-2009 02:23 PM

Just print out the bylaw, highlight that section and shove it in their face next time.

Soundy 08-06-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 6536091)
Just print out the bylaw, highlight that section and shove it in their face next time.

+1

Solo_D33A 08-06-2009 04:18 PM

your laptop have a charger don't you? plug it into a outlet, you know, the one that's a bit far away and on the other side of the fence? ;)

TheSalesman 08-06-2009 04:25 PM

don't need the charger. I need to plug it into my ECU. But anyways, i hate my neighbores. There's another thread on here from awhile ago about noise. Ever since they moved in....errrr....

CRS 08-06-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

+2

skholla 08-06-2009 09:57 PM

at the end of the day you are in the right and your neighbor is just being an idiot.

dude isn't a cop or a meter maid so all he can do is complain, forget about it and tell him to leave your property asap!

TheSalesman 08-07-2009 01:49 AM

they filed a complaint about me before and another time a cop came over. ehhh but he didn't do anything. Just said respect your neighbores and I won't give you any tickets.

TheSalesman 08-07-2009 01:53 AM

other thread about these neighbores.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/bad-n...s-t146699.html

zulutango 08-07-2009 05:54 AM

Now I see the source of the problem :)

TheSalesman 08-07-2009 09:20 AM

yeah well, im gonna have to start calling the cops next time they are using their saw and him working on his dirt bike.

racerman88 08-23-2009 04:27 PM

they have to call it in as a complaint first to the city and believe me, that isn't exactly a high priority call. It might take a while for them to respond unless it is a slow day.

falcon 08-25-2009 09:44 PM

sounds like you've been too lenient with them.

time to tell the to fuck off and just plain start ignoring them... after reading the other thread, this is seriously what's needed.

if they ever call the cops, explain everything to them from the day they moved in and started complaining. if I was the cop I would laugh and tell you to have a nice day.

MR_BIGGS 08-25-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

+3

TheSalesman 08-26-2009 12:01 PM

so my alarm goes off at 5am in the morning and wakes them up. The car is right under my room and i didn't even wake up. So they call my brother and tell me to turn off my alarm permanantly...and it happens again the day after. So they call again and don't want my alarm to ever go off. fcuk these neighbores.

impactX 08-26-2009 05:31 PM

LOL you gave your number to them?

TheSalesman 08-26-2009 05:39 PM

i never gave them my #. They must have gotten it when they first moved in. They have the house #, not mine.

BD2002 08-26-2009 05:40 PM

Your neighbor is a toolfag

BD2002 08-26-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6564595)
so my alarm goes off at 5am in the morning and wakes them up. The car is right under my room and i didn't even wake up. So they call my brother and tell me to turn off my alarm permanantly...and it happens again the day after. So they call again and don't want my alarm to ever go off. fcuk these neighbores.

You should break into their car to show that alarms are necessary.

And then break in again.

TheSalesman 08-26-2009 05:46 PM

what can I do to get these people to move out? legally.

falcon 08-26-2009 06:43 PM

burn the house down?

oh wait... legal..

nipples 08-26-2009 08:39 PM

dude, just suddenly develop a lawn fetish and keep mowing your lawn like everyday. start it at 630pm or whenever their friends go over for dinner. and do it without the bag the first time. then go back over again with the bag to pick up the clippings. that'll drive em nuts.

and be totally anal with your weedeater. make sure it's ALL level!