REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Multi Vitamin for men (https://www.revscene.net/forums/585122-multi-vitamin-men.html)

rslater 08-07-2009 05:33 PM

Multi Vitamin for men

Do any of you guys take a multi vitamin everday? If so what brand? I'm traveling overseas for a while and i want to ensure im still getting a proper dose of vitamins and minerals.

Any quality recomendations?

Eff-1 08-07-2009 06:31 PM

I take these

http://www.gummybearvitamins.com/

hotong 08-07-2009 06:36 PM

I use Men's One a Day. It is available everywhere, inexpensive, and seems to absorb well

SkinnyPupp 08-07-2009 06:47 PM

Don't get cheap multivitamins, where the main goal is to simply pack as many cheap "vitamins" into one pill and sell them cheaply.

But nobody will listen to me when I say this, so I don't know why I bother.

hotong 08-07-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6537767)
Don't get cheap multivitamins, where the main goal is to simply pack as many cheap "vitamins" into one pill and sell them cheaply.

so what brand do you recommend?

rslater 08-07-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6537767)

Actually, im 100% going to listen to you as i wrote in my post i want quality reccomendations. I'm trekking in the himilaya's for a couple months on a restrictive diet so its important for me.

Hondaracer 08-07-2009 07:16 PM

GNC's megamen is pretty good, i actually would feel the boost from them when i took them before, although now i'm just taking like 20 different pills

also "animal pak" is supposidely the best, they are individual packs of vitamins making up a multi mix

SkinnyPupp 08-07-2009 08:15 PM

If you're serious about buying a good multi, take a look at this.

Or more general advice: Avoid any multivitamin that can pack everything into one tablet. Unless said tablet is the size of your thumb. My recommendation would be to take any vitamin you are considering, and compare it against Poliquin's product.

I think decent solutions that aren't so expensive that are worth considering are Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition and Adam, by Now. I am using ON now, it's not the best, but it's reasonably priced (that's what it all comes down to, isn't it? ;)). Dosage is 3 tablets per day. It matches up with Poliquin's well, except for a few things You might also want to consider taking Greens+ with you on your trip. Eat lots of fruit and veggies if you can (clean them well first), and avoid rice and wheat.

WakeMeUp 08-07-2009 11:42 PM

Yes, definitely avoid the cheap shit in all the supermarkets. I don't take a multivitamin b/c i supplement some vit/min individually now, but an expensive yet quality option is AOR. There are some better than supermarket brand stuff (and well priced) at places like iherb.com. You can use DIS739 as the coupon code to save 5 bucks. Helps me out too.

Also, since you're a guy, you may want to get one without iron. Males don't need as much iron as females, and high lron intake over time isn't good.

wasabisashimi 08-08-2009 09:42 AM

general rules: do not buy centrum, kirkland, londondrug brand, and jamisons...etc

-vancityguy- 08-08-2009 05:20 PM

ON's opti men.

skiiipi 08-08-2009 08:06 PM

whats this "double X" product that i've been hearing about?
i got a friend who is taking it, and apprently its sold by some pyramid scheme
i hate those things, but are the product any good?

SkinnyPupp 08-08-2009 10:01 PM

No.

syee 08-08-2009 11:19 PM

For those saying don't buy brand X or brand Y, is there any specific reason for it? I'm just curious as to why certain brands are to be avoided. What's the reasoning behind it if they all provide the same units of specific vitamins and is there any research to back up why we should use specific brands?

rslater 08-09-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6537893)

Or more general advice: Avoid any multivitamin that can pack everything into one tablet. Unless said tablet is the size of your thumb. My recommendation would be to take any vitamin you are considering, and compare it against Poliquin's product.

I think decent solutions that aren't so expensive that are worth considering are Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition and Adam, by Now. I am using ON now, it's not the best, but it's reasonably priced (that's what it all comes down to, isn't it? ;)). Dosage is 3 tablets per day. It matches up with Poliquin's well, except for a few things You might also want to consider taking Greens+ with you on your trip. Eat lots of fruit and veggies if you can (clean them well first), and avoid rice and wheat.

Thanks for the advice. I actually take Greens+ already. I'm never tired with that magic potion.

Two questions, can I purchase Poliquins locally or just online?

And secondly, very curious, why do you suggest not eating rice and wheat. My Nepalese diet is unfortunately going to consist of a lot of starchy foods as im doing some 20 odd day treks through the mountains staying at tea houses or camping. Why should I avoid rice and wheat?

SkinnyPupp 08-09-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rslater (Post 6539251)
Thanks for the advice. I actually take Greens+ already. I'm never tired with that magic potion.

Two questions, can I purchase Poliquins locally or just online?

And secondly, very curious, why do you suggest not eating rice and wheat. My Nepalese diet is unfortunately going to consist of a lot of starchy foods as im doing some 20 odd day treks through the mountains staying at tea houses or camping. Why should I avoid rice and wheat?

Let's not get started on that here ;)

The Nepalese diet shouldn't be too bad, unless you are eating like a peasant... You will see a lot of curries, including meat and veggies. Nepalese food is good, like a combination of Chinese and Indian. You'll enjoy it!

As for why not buy a cheap garbage multivitamin, read this.

syee 08-09-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6539307)
As for why not buy a cheap garbage multivitamin, read this.

Do you have something from an independent source? Reading something from a manufacturer is usually more marketing spin than actual fact.

I'm not saying that what they're claiming isn't true - I'd probably be more inclined to believe it if it came from a source that doesn't stand to gain from by using scare tactics to scare people into using their product.

SkinnyPupp 08-09-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 6539364)
Do you have something from an independent source? Reading something from a manufacturer is usually more marketing spin than actual fact.

I'm not saying that what they're claiming isn't true - I'd probably be more inclined to believe it if it came from a source that doesn't stand to gain from by using scare tactics to scare people into using their product.

You'll have to look for yourself then, if you don't believe them. Or just buy garbage and see how it does for you :)

Hondaracer 08-09-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6537893)

do you order that from that site? if so how much do you usually order and do you take the 8 throughout the day or what

hal0g0dv2 08-09-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 6539364)

lots of companies make story's up so u buy there products
don't be fooled buy the take 8 multi vitamins a day because 600000% of your vit d or c is not enough.. THEY WANT YOUR MONEYS

ws6ta 08-09-2009 09:34 PM

animal pak is supposed to be the best and thats what I take (If I even take anything) but there are quite a few pills in one package. and they smell nasty sort of like dog food but really strong.

hal0g0dv2 08-09-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 6540036)
animal pak is supposed to be the best and thats what I take (If I even take anything) but there are quite a few pills in one package. and they smell nasty sort of like dog food but really strong.

you piss most of that stuff out
also they are pretty pricey

wasabisashimi 08-10-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 6539133)
For those saying don't buy brand X or brand Y, is there any specific reason for it? I'm just curious as to why certain brands are to be avoided. What's the reasoning behind it if they all provide the same units of specific vitamins and is there any research to back up why we should use specific brands?

There are independnet testing/trials, and clinical tests results. Most companys out there has neither of those.
Why dont they do these tests? because their moneys are spend on mass marketing instead of focusing on whether the products works or not.

If i were to take some special supplements I would want the ones that a doctor would prescribe and know that its been clinically proven.

I don't see my family doctor for supplements because they know little or nothing about vitamins and nutrition. My family use a Naturopathic doctor and they prescribe them for us. At least i know i am getting stuff that has worked or been working from a doctor's office, and not just something someone tried to pyramid market me

Gh0stRider 08-10-2009 02:37 PM

im taking Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition

SkinnyPupp 08-10-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 6539845)
do you order that from that site? if so how much do you usually order and do you take the 8 throughout the day or what

No, I can't afford that stuff. Like I said, it all comes down to price. I don't buy the most expensive stuff, but I don't buy the cheapest either. I use Opti-Men.