REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Can cops from coquitlam give me a ticket in Vancouver? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587041-can-cops-coquitlam-give-me-ticket-vancouver.html)

kobefans 08-25-2009 08:21 PM

Can cops from coquitlam give me a ticket in Vancouver?

Well, i have a court day this week.

I just found out it is actually set in Coquitlam court. So apprently the cops gave me the ticket for running a yellow light is from Coquitlam.

I ran a yellow light like 1 year ago in Vancouver. Do they have the jurisdiction to give me a ticket? since they are not VPD?

Should I expect a automatic win on this court?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BNR32_Coupe 08-25-2009 08:39 PM

1, this should be in the police forum. 2, try searching 'jurisdiction' in the police forum. im pretty sure this has been answered already.

3, unless you're color blind or something, there's no such thing as running a yellow light. you can be ticketed for running a red tho

Alatar 08-25-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6563430)
unless you're color blind or something, there's no such thing as running a yellow light. you can be ticketed for running a red tho

Cool. So it's legal to turn right on a yellow light. That's news to me. :rolleyes:

wouwou 08-25-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 6563442)
Cool. So it's legal to turn right on a yellow light. That's news to me. :rolleyes:

I believe it's legal to turn right on a RED if it's not prohibited by sign in BC

EgOne 08-25-2009 08:55 PM

i believe its legal to turn right on a red but you have to stop first then proceed

El Bastardo 08-25-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobefans (Post 6563411)
Do they have the jurisdiction to give me a ticket? since they are not VPD?

The C in RCMP is 'Canadian' meaning they have national jurisdiction, even in places where the municipal police force operates.

willystyle 08-25-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobefans (Post 6563411)
Well, i have a court day this week.

I just found out it is actually set in Coquitlam court. So apprently the cops gave me the ticket for running a yellow light is from Coquitlam.

I ran a yellow light like 1 year ago in Vancouver. Do they have the jurisdiction to give me a ticket? since they are not VPD?

Should I expect a automatic win on this court?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

YES, they can ticket you in Vancouver if they wish.

CRS 08-25-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 6563450)
The C in RCMP is 'Canadian' meaning they have national jurisdiction, even in places where the municipal police force operates.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

OP, you should expect an automatic kick in the ass.

kobefans 08-25-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6563553)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

OP, you should expect an automatic kick in the ass.

:cry:

StylinRed 08-25-2009 09:45 PM

how would u get a ticket for running a yellow..... it was either a red or you were speeding

Alatar 08-25-2009 09:46 PM

Sarcasm is lost on you guys.

Regardless of situation, a right turn on a yellow light is a ticketable offense.

Nowhere in that post did I make any comment of a right turn on red. Work on your reading comprehension.

misteranswer 08-25-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 6563565)
Sarcasm is lost on you guys.

Regardless of situation, a right turn on a yellow light is a ticketable offense.

Really? What's the offense?

nabs 08-25-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EgOne (Post 6563447)
i believe its legal to turn right on a red but you have to stop first then proceed

unless posted otherwise.

Alatar 08-25-2009 10:00 PM

128 (1) When a yellow light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, following the exhibition of a green light,

(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety,

At no time if traveling the speed limit in municipalities should you be unable to stop, and regardless, if you don't stop, you just broke that law. Any officer will be able to point this out. 50km/hr is clearly posted on city streets, unless otherwise posted (ie: school and park zones).

Good luck trying to fight it if you think you weren't able to stop. See if you get slapped with driving without due care.

Gh0stRider 08-25-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misteranswer (Post 6563578)
Really? What's the offense?

Improper turn at intersection
MVA 165(5)
$109 fine
3 pts

Alatar 08-25-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRD604 (Post 6563617)
Improper turn at intersection
MVA 165(5)
$109 fine
3 pts

That too. So there you go, 2 citations possible for the given scenario.

PHO? 08-25-2009 10:12 PM

lets say a vpd officer was in Surrey, can he issue ticket?

impactX 08-25-2009 10:25 PM

All municipal police force officers are sworn in under the BC's Police Act. In theory, they can give you a ticket anywhere in BC; but will they? May be.

Gh0stRider 08-25-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHO? (Post 6563632)
lets say a vpd officer was in Surrey, can he issue ticket?

yes. they can exercise the law anywhere in BC.

BNR32_Coupe 08-25-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 6563604)
128 (1) When a yellow light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, following the exhibition of a green light,

(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety,

At no time if traveling the speed limit in municipalities should you be unable to stop, and regardless, if you don't stop, you just broke that law. Any officer will be able to point this out. 50km/hr is clearly posted on city streets, unless otherwise posted (ie: school and park zones).

Good luck trying to fight it if you think you weren't able to stop. See if you get slapped with driving without due care.

i bet tickets for that are handed out as often as speeding tickets for people going 50.6 kmph. regardless, im not sure about the exact situation the OP was in, but he can easily say he was unable to stop in time unless he was going idle speed.

E=mc˛ 08-25-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 6563604)

Umm...should I assume you're being sarcastic?

You can travel 50 km/h and be unable to stop safely. What happens when you are within 20 feet of the intersection and the light changes? What if you're 5 feet away and the light changes?

And no, it's not "regardless, if you don't stop, you just broke the law". If you can't stop safely, you're breaking the law by actually stopping and getting stuck in the middle of the intersection.

I also hope you're not suggesting that you've never entered an intersection while the light was yellow, whether it's when you couldn't stop in time, or whether you were in a hurry and just decided to gun it.

Alatar 08-26-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXQBLGH (Post 6563778)
Umm...should I assume you're being sarcastic?

You can travel 50 km/h and be unable to stop safely. What happens when you are within 20 feet of the intersection and the light changes? What if you're 5 feet away and the light changes?

And no, it's not "regardless, if you don't stop, you just broke the law". If you can't stop safely, you're breaking the law by actually stopping and getting stuck in the middle of the intersection.

I also hope you're not suggesting that you've never entered an intersection while the light was yellow, whether it's when you couldn't stop in time, or whether you were in a hurry and just decided to gun it.

So, you take right turns at full speed without slowing down? Tokyo Drift fan? If you're making a right turn, you can't tell me that you don't slow down, and wouldn't be able to stop, from your already decelerated speed. Of course, I mean, maybe you do whip around corners going 50km/hr. I always enjoy a good 90 degree change of direction and the intense G-Forces that go with them. When I'm go-karting, anyway.

impactX 08-26-2009 06:39 AM

^ Yup exactly, if you are slow enough to turn, you are slow enough to stop.

Going straight-thru is a different story.

sonick 08-26-2009 07:32 AM

"This is where my jurisdiction ends......."

E=mc˛ 08-26-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 6564044)
So, you take right turns at full speed without slowing down? Tokyo Drift fan? If you're making a right turn, you can't tell me that you don't slow down, and wouldn't be able to stop, from your already decelerated speed. Of course, I mean, maybe you do whip around corners going 50km/hr. I always enjoy a good 90 degree change of direction and the intense G-Forces that go with them. When I'm go-karting, anyway.

lol my fault my distances were messed up in the previous post, I guess 20 ft should be enough distance, but 5 feet? No way you're gonna jam on the brakes and be able to stop before the stop line/crosswalk.

let's just say it's possible to have the light change while you're just about to enter the intersection, and that even though you've slowed down to begin with, to come to a complete stop would require you to be halfway in the intersection or blocking the crosswalk. Neither of which are legal.
Maybe for some major intersections with lots of pedestrians, you'd slow a bit more than you normally would to make a right turn on green, but other 'smaller' less busy intersections when you can see clearly no one's crossing...you wouldn't slow as much as you would. I don't see how it's that hard to imagine?