REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thailand Scams???

Hey everyone. ill be going to thailand on sept.9th and i was wondering if anyone has been there. ill be going to bangkok and phuket. how do the taxis at the airport run there cuz i heard they rip u off. anyone know the right price from the airport to bangkok and the airport to phuket? people are saying the airport to bangkok is usually around 400baht and the airport to phuket is around 650baht. is this correct? has anyone been scammed there? any stories i should know?? thanks
Advertisement
Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

ya , the biggest scam in Thailand is you will see lots of ladyboys that are actually hot
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
^^^
That's the Thai Surprise
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec V View Post
Hey everyone. ill be going to thailand on sept.9th and i was wondering if anyone has been there. ill be going to bangkok and phuket. how do the taxis at the airport run there cuz i heard they rip u off. anyone know the right price from the airport to bangkok and the airport to phuket? people are saying the airport to bangkok is usually around 400baht and the airport to phuket is around 650baht. is this correct? has anyone been scammed there? any stories i should know?? thanks
Ive been to thailand a few times already.. (dad owns a waterfront house over there)... Going back again July 2010.... Anyways the pricing on the taxi is about right... When they know your a tourist and you need a ride somewhere they wont take you unless you go where they want to go.. Basically those shops that give the drivers commission.. Dont worry about denying them.. Hell one time we went to 12 diff taxis before we found one that would take us to the places we wanted to go, and we were considered locals since my stepmom is Thai... No real scams... Just remember if your the only one getting the deal then its too good to be true... When in bankok if your going with your GF, I recommend Platinum, a Girls dream malll... Good local clothing at warehouse pricing.... If you need anymore insight let me know... Also remember to always carry tp.. as its not a customer over there.. They use these water jet things to spray at your ass... Like the ones on the kitchen sinks... LOL

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
my gf came back from Phuket with her family last month, didnt hear any scam stories from her. She said everything is relatively cheap.

There are a lot of transsexuals and metrosexuals in Thailand tho. So make sure u double check before doing anything you'll regret.

Last edited by shenmecar; 09-04-2009 at 01:11 PM.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The taxi thing is one thing to consider...just walk away from them when they offer you a set price. I had one that was like 600 bht and the destination ended up being a few blocks away. I didn't know how close I was, but I'm glad I didn't go for his "deal".

If the girls are too good to be true..they are.

Marketplaces: Always barter. They use a calculator to negotiate. BTW...they know more english than you think they do.

Be careful what clubs you go to, especially the seedy ones. They will try to rip you off. I was traveling with a Canadian Thai person and he jumped in when we got handed a ridiculous bill for 2 beer...and 10 lady drinks for pretty much every girl in the bar.

Bathrooms-go when you can. I was there for a month and never had to use the squatter, or as we came to refer to them, the kung fu toilets. Always carry change because some places charge for the bathroom, and you need to buy toilet paper. A lot of places don't even provide and you are left with the hose. Kind of odd to use, but you get used to it. Check first to make sure that there is toilet paper in the stall. I got burned once. Some have dispensers in the main bathroom that you need to insert a coin.

Don't worry about taking money with you, you can access your accounts from a bank machine.

Other than that...have fun.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
If you do want to see a tranny show, I recommend going to Alcazar... You will honestly be rubbing your eyes thinking your dreaming...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

make sure to post the pics after...and share ur thai surprise stories
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
My friend just came back 2 weeks ago, he said that the hawker stands there can usually be bargained down to 10% of the list price, I was like WTFBBQ?!?!?! but all he bought were fake name brand shit
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The airport in Bangkok is in Bangkok.. its about 500baht to the 'downtown' part with all the malls. If you want to get to the malls just say "MBK" and almost all taxis will know where to go. The tourist district in Bangkok is about another 100baht from downtown. If you want to go there just say "khao san road" and they will know where to go. Do be shocked if the price is ~10% more than I said as traffic can be ugly.

Airport - downtown(500baht) - Khao San Road(100baht)

They are building a new skytrain from the airport to downtown that will cut about 45minutes of driving out of the trip. I am not sure if its finished yet, but it was close'ish when I left Bangkok last January.
JesseVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
you beta not be girl with penis and dun tell me

-peta chao
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
This should really be in the Travel & Recreation forum
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Is it true that bouncers in some clubs will actually reach down and "check" a girl to see if they're real or not before letting them into clubs?
Chairman Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
if you do want to get some action just get a BJ so you don't have to worry
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I just got back from Bangkok a few days ago. The clubs don't even pat you down when you go in. They'll check your waist for a gun at most. I checked out the nightlife with some friends over there. If you're worried about Thai Surprises, they tend to hang out in groups so it is a bit easier to pick them out that way. RCA is the Granville street equivalent, if you wanted to check that out.

As for taxis, depending on where you're staying in Bangkok. Prices range from 400-600 when traffic is thrown into the mix. I honestly think the best way to get around is to take the MRT(subway) or BTS(skytrain), but you do need to know your way around.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

so that skytrain is finally attached to the airport? are the routes in english as well or is it in thai?
Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Hyde's Understudy

Where can i find a thai surprise over there? which is the best area
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

All i know is that thailand is full of trannies
Basick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

The skytrain is a good distance away from the airport. I believe skytrain is mainly for the core of Bangkok. I had a friend show me around and I followed aimlessly. I would have got lost but many people do speak English there, don't be afraid to ask for directions/help.

If your not too worried about getting lost, take the train... It's stupidly cheap($1-2), plus you'll wonder why we don't have anything close to being that nice. Signs do have English on them but sometimes the pronunciation you hear over the speakerphone seems way off from the sign.

I wasn't very clear in my post above, 400-600bht ($13-20cdn) from the airport to the core of Bangkok.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec V View Post
Let us know how it went.
I will be there in November. Apparently the high season.
First time for BKK and Phuket for myself as well.
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
i had a great time when i was there. durian was just amazing and so good. I went to a lot of the interesting shows and # 1 RULE, never ever sit in the front roll cause they will try to dance with you and BAM, they turn off the lights, they turn it on again and they are DUDESSSSSSSS.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
RS Licensed Vendor

I had a friend of mine get robbed, kidnapped and extorted by police in Thailand.

He's a wealthy white guy. Met some hot brit. So he was dressed to impress. They went to a beach party of some sort. Next thing you know, cops with machine guns walked up to the beach and pointed to him. The cops grab him and search his pockets. They found some cocaine (He doesn't smoke or do drugs). So obviously the cops planted it on him so they won't get everyone suspicious. They arrest him AND the girl he just met. So basically he was thrown in jail for weeks. They took all his money, asked for more, then made him call his family to send them more money.

After the whole ordeal. He's got some major rage issues.

Just be careful in 3rd world countries. Could happen anywhere. I had a friend get jacked in Jamaica by the cops also. They were in a cab, hit a roadblock, cops went thru the whole car and took all their jewellery. Not much you can say when you have AK47's in your face.

Just stick to main tourist attractions if you wanna be safe. Otherwise make sure you have a credible guide with you.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
i had a great time when i was there. durian was just amazing and so good. I went to a lot of the interesting shows and # 1 RULE, never ever sit in the front roll cause they will try to dance with you and BAM, they turn off the lights, they turn it on again and they are DUDESSSSSSSS.
How did you travel around Phuket?
Tuk Tuks or Taxi?
Any must place visits?

Iv got 1.5 more months till I go..
So stoked...

And to the above poster... rolling around like that in 3rd world countries WILL get you in trouble. Lesson learned for him.
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I just got back from Thailand this summer.

Phuket: Taxis From Airport should be 500 baht flat fee. When you get out of the airport ignore all the hawkers trying to get you into their mini buses and taxis. Once you get outside turn right and walk to the end and you'll hit the flat fee taxis which have a set rate depending on the part of the island your going to.

We went to Karon beach and it cost us 500 baht, but Patong should be cheaper. Hope that is helpful for you.
nipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
How did you travel around Phuket?
Tuk Tuks or Taxi?
Any must place visits?

Iv got 1.5 more months till I go..
So stoked...

And to the above poster... rolling around like that in 3rd world countries WILL get you in trouble. Lesson learned for him.
What parts of Thailand will you be hitting up?

I ended up only going to Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, and Ko Phaghan because of time issues.

If you are going to any of those places. PM if you have any questions.
nipster is offline   Reply With Quote