REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #151
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
when?

if during the time when japanese brands were crappy, what were the decent brands back than.
/off topic

You know how American cars were really cool back then? That was when Japanese brand were considered shitty. Look, every brand starts somewhere, and I applaud Hyundai for making the Genesis. It is proving to be a very good car based on the awards it has won. Much like the G coupe and G sedan, I believe Hyundai is trying to replicate the success of Infiniti back in the early 2000, when they took a big chunk of the market off BMW's 3 series. Face it, as of right now, Hyundai is actually a more exciting brand then Honda AND Acura, so you can stop with your Honda fanboyism. Hyundai, as the shitty korean brand you perceive, has 2 things that Honda does not have in their current line up, RWD and V8. I know these 2 things doesn't automatically equal success, but find me a tier one luxury car manufacturer that doesn't have both. While Hyundai is busy building a better brand image trying to enter the 7 series/s500 market, for example the Equus, what does Honda/Acura do? They fucken build an Accord Crosstour/ZDX. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit? Honda is slowly turning into what Toyota is now, a company that has no passion for making exciting cars.

Equus

Crosstour

Advertisement
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #152
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
i agree that honda isn't making anymore race themed cars but there's a couple of realities to that, that you must acknowledge.

1. toyota is one of honda's fiercest competitors. honda has to follow suit to not lose ground in both the hybrid class and the crossovers. don't get me wrong, i think the accord crosstour is going to be a massive fail. but just like hyundai starting with the genesis, honda has to start somewhere with their crosstour. i'm also bewildered that they didn't bring over the accord wagon instead

2. the market for pure sports cars is no longer as strong as it used to be. as most of you know the new nsx project was axed to have honda focus on it's "green" side and promote other things.

sure, i hate the idea that honda is no longer interested in making type R's but this is a company; this is NOT anyone's personal car maker. many of you also argue that Honda pulling out of F1 shows weakness and a lack of interest in racing. this is a recession. if it were my company, i too, would cut my expenditures. wouldn't you do the same??

someone mentioned before that the Si is a compromise between both worlds. economic but also some performance is in the package. this is probably the fairest assessment.

like i said earlier in this thread, we're comparing a 2.0L NA with a 2.0L Turbo. stock for stock, the cars are similar in speed. what else could you ask for from the Si?

everyone accusing us honda fans of being pure fanboys fail to see that you too are fanboys; for RWD! a biased opinion is only worth so much, on EITHER side of the argument.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #153
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
van fashion is played out to the max

i agree on using legit brands, knock offs is for wonna be people. Get the real deal or gtfo and not get it at all.

last but not least
Different strokes for different folks afterall.

Dont get me wrong hyundai imrpoved HUGEEEEEE over the last decade, just that if they were cheaper than i'd be down for it.
Yup.

I respect Honda's, but since they're not the one with a 2 liter Turbo RWD, my vote goes for Hyundai.

If the world was askewed, and Korean cars were the shit, and Japanese cars just started to make a Turbo RWD car, would the choices be the same?

The general consensus would be going for the Korean car, and my choice would still go to the Turbo RWD car. Those are the facts.

Other than Catchy songs, fucked up dramas, awesome spicy food, and Hyori Lee, Korea is bringing some new shit onto the table. I respect that.

I expect the same shit to happen in the next decade when Chinese cars (hell, even thier economy) start to take over.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #154
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
i only seen less than 10 of them.

Brand image still kicks in. $25 start, tops $30g, than tops $35g for v6

than sedan starts $35, tops $48g for top model. Who in their right mind wonna pay for a company that was once shitty (dont know about now because only time will tell) instead paying for something more reliable with a better brand image.

WRX, MS3, GTi / G35 sedan, M35, TL, 3 series/5 series, or add a bit more money and get a E class if u are gonna spend $50g on a hyundai

today people will start buying korean brands only when its cheaper than japanese brand.

WHen a Sony panel lines up side by side with samsung/LG , if they were the same price which one will sell more? I would be willing to buy a samsung (owned many samsung products in the past) when it is cheaper. A $3000 dollar 55" tv if its $500 + cheaper than i would consider samsung. Same thing with cars. Is samsung a bad product? no but if they were the exact same price as some jap brand, than its absolutely a no brainer to go with the jap. Same thing applies to car industry

car industry wise, when was the last time u saw a person driving hyundai/kia? its either gonna be A a white dude, B a korean patriot.
Bad example.

Quote:
Q: Don't these TVs use Samsung panels in them? Doesn't that mean that a Samsung LCD will be just as good?
A: No, not necessarily. Each should be judged on their own merits.

Both Samsung and Sony LCDs (as well as many other brands) use panels produced in a factory called S-LCD. Financially, this is a joint venture between Sony and Samsung (they own roughly half of the facility each). It would seem however that the panels are the end result of Samsung's research, so the claim that "Sony LCDs use Samsung panels" is not totally invalid.

Much of the original problems with Samsung LCDs related to their lack of user control, which meant that although the same panels were found in many Sony and Samsung displays, the Sonys would allow for a superior picture. As of 2009, the performance gap has closed, and in fact, Samsung offer better calibration options than Sony.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #155
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ctr.ek9 View Post
i agree that honda isn't making anymore race themed cars but there's a couple of realities to that, that you must acknowledge.

1. toyota is one of honda's fiercest competitors. honda has to follow suit to not lose ground in both the hybrid class and the crossovers. don't get me wrong, i think the accord crosstour is going to be a massive fail. but just like hyundai starting with the genesis, honda has to start somewhere with their crosstour. i'm also bewildered that they didn't bring over the accord wagon instead

2. the market for pure sports cars is no longer as strong as it used to be. as most of you know the new nsx project was axed to have honda focus on it's "green" side and promote other things.

sure, i hate the idea that honda is no longer interested in making type R's but this is a company; this is NOT anyone's personal car maker. many of you also argue that Honda pulling out of F1 shows weakness and a lack of interest in racing. this is a recession. if it were my company, i too, would cut my expenditures. wouldn't you do the same??

someone mentioned before that the Si is a compromise between both worlds. economic but also some performance is in the package. this is probably the fairest assessment.

like i said earlier in this thread, we're comparing a 2.0L NA with a 2.0L Turbo. stock for stock, the cars are similar in speed. what else could you ask for from the Si?

everyone accusing us honda fans of being pure fanboys fail to see that you too are fanboys; for RWD! a biased opinion is only worth so much, on EITHER side of the argument.
well said

u gotta give it to honda for producing less torque yet acceleration is the same if not similar. As mentioned before, when smaller displacement trying to produce more HP per liter it is not a easy task. It needs to rev, that is the only way to produce horsepower. U may think honda is a shitty company but the fact is its the same way ferrari makes their power too. Sure its a V8 obviously it makes more hp/torque but their engine does not make maximum power until u hit high rpms (8000rpm) and above as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Yup.

I respect Honda's, but since they're not the one with a 2 liter Turbo RWD, my vote goes for Hyundai.

If the world was askewed, and Korean cars were the shit, and Japanese cars just started to make a Turbo RWD car, would the choices be the same?

The general consensus would be going for the Korean car, and my choice would still go to the Turbo RWD car. Those are the facts.

Other than Catchy songs, fucked up dramas, awesome spicy food, and Hyori Lee, Korea is bringing some new shit onto the table. I respect that.

I expect the same shit to happen in the next decade when Chinese cars (hell, even thier economy) start to take over.
i respect that
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #156
Banned (ABWS)

You know you're a delusional fanboy when you are comparing Honda to a Ferari.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #157
Banned (BBM)

sorry i smoked crack before coming to work this morning
Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #158
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ctr.ek9 View Post

So as a sport car enthusiast, yourself, you are happy that Honda is focusing on making cars you do not enjoyable driving? Let me get this straight, I do not dislike Hondas, I would love to see them make create another S2k, another NSX, TSX Type-S with awd and turbo charged engine, but what do they do? They fucken put that 2.4 liter engine turbocharged engine in a fucken RDX. That is fucked up. They have all these technology that can be made into a really competitive sport car, but they don't, they make another crossover. I know Honda can make a good sport car (S2k, NSX), but it is sad to see that they have no passion for making anything more then anything based off the accord chassis as well as their V6.

The sport market have shrunk yes, you don't see other car manufacturers suddenly stop making sporty cars and switched over to making hybrid cars? Do you? At least not on the scale of Honda has. I also acknowledge that there is a recession, and it does make sense for Honda to pull out of F1, but you know what? Even prior to the recession, Honda have been talking about bringing back the NSX, and now we are in the middle of it, we still have no NSX.

Hey you know what too? Hyundai happens to be one of Toyota's biggest competitor too! They seem to make more exciting cars!

You know what is the biggest difference between Toyota and Honda/Acura? It is that most people don't associate Toyota with Lexus, while most people see Honda and Acura as the same. This is why no one really gives a shit that Toyota makes boring cars, since Lexus ARE making, new, exciting and competitive cars in its class (IS-F, IS350, LS...etc).

I am not going to go there on RWD vs FWD, because nothing constructive we haven't heard before would be said anyways.

The truth of the matter is, as of right now, I truly believe Hyundai, even out of the realm of the Genesis vs Si discussion, has more to offer in their lineup than Honda. And if I am a Honda fanboy like Mugen, I too would flip the fuck out if anyone said a Hyundai is better than a Honda, because it is.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #159
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
holy crap dude, you missed every single point i made in that post. read it again, slowly.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #160
Banned (BBM)

lolll shittt i got stirred into the pot

funny shit

hey my point being jap cars > korean cars IF they were the same price, why not

button line if prices were the same people would consider buying a japanese brand over korean brand. Now if korean brands were cheaper, their sales would go up because more people would think twice before making the purchase.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #161
straight from the fields of squamton

You know you're as ignorant as the domestic drivers from 'the south' (that you hate) that won't even consider a japanese (or asian) car because it's not american.

Have you even driven a Genesis? a 2.0T?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #162
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

ok here is my thoughts after reading 5 pages of blah
Honda > Hyundai
Genesis > Civic Si

this thread was to compare genesis & civic si... not hyundai vs honda.
ChinesePetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #163
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
You know you're as ignorant as the domestic drivers from 'the south' (that you hate) that won't even consider a japanese (or asian) car because it's not american.

Have you even driven a Genesis? a 2.0T?
i guess i know wat im doing this weekend

Hyundai dealership!!!!!!

hey i have shit loads of korean products too ok

Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #164
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

Hyundai dealership!!!!!!

Be careful dude. The airbags are faulty and the car may spontaneously engulf into flames

Last edited by CivicTypeRice; 09-17-2009 at 11:59 AM.
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #165
Banned (BBM)

see if i show up on the news the next day than
Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #166
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

Hyundai dealership!!!!!!

Do it!

Tell us how it goes.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Do it!

Tell us how it goes.

I'd love to hear it as well.

for bonus points, If you do. I'll go to a honda dealer and talk myself into a test drive with a new SI.

I'll also be able to look at their pricing compared to what I paid for mine, then fully judge the differences.

I've only put about 300kms of highway driving in an SI and have over 13k on a gencoupe, so the more SI seat time the better.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #168
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinesePetro View Post
ok here is my thoughts after reading 5 pages of blah
Honda > Hyundai
Genesis > Civic Si

this thread was to compare genesis & civic si... not hyundai vs honda.

my vote goes to civic si

reason:
k-series are great engine (very reliable)
lots of aftermarket parts support
fun to drive (8000rpm red line)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #169
Banned (ABWS)

^ Its actually 8200rpm redline
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicTypeRice View Post
^ Its actually 8200rpm redline

my bad...i'm not really sure the redline so i just guess.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #171
Banned (BBM)

rev limiter is 8500rpm lol

ya i search it up, the closest dealership is in port moody.

will find a time to test out their new car

V6 and 2.0T should be intersting to drive
Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #172
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
rev limiter is 8500rpm lol

ya i search it up, the closest dealership is in port moody.

will find a time to test out their new car

V6 and 2.0T should be intersting to drive
Really? Im not sure dude. I own a 07 Si, and she revs to 8200rpm's before bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #173

Oh speedking. Take my car out for a spin one day, you know where to find me

212ft/Lbs at 2700 rpm will make you forget about vtec, even in a RWD pig.

Last edited by 1990TSI; 09-17-2009 at 10:08 PM.
1990TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #174
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Civic hands down! Amazing ride experience! Its literally like driving a toned down yet more practical version of the S2000.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicTypeRice View Post
Really? Im not sure dude. I own a 07 Si, and she revs to 8200rpm's before bouncing off the rev limiter.

both of you are right!!! 8200rpm redline 8500 rev limiter. redline and cut off are different.