REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostrho View Post
U can't go wrong with a MDX then.. they have 8000$ off 2009 models as well.
kinda want to stay from Honda though, had few of them.
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #77
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post

Update, Cars still in the list: Q5, Maybe MDX, volvo XC60
i think one of the major car magazines (motor trend or car and driver i can't remember) did a comparsion with these models (including an MB) a few months ago... maybe you can find a back issue or something online?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #78
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

+2 for the FX35:

-all the functionality, but still looks, sounds, and drives like a sports car. Theres a few deals still to be had on the 2008's if ur lucky (i too don't really like the new shape, but performance wise it can't b fked with at the price point). Like someone mentioned, its a "bionic cheetah", it truly is. After MUCH research, i found myself a MINT 2003, w/ all the bells and whistles, w/ low k's for ~30g's. Reverse cam, rear DVD ent system, w/ 2 wireless headphones, intelligent cruise control, stock 20's (which are hard to come by tho), and keyless open/start). The engine's bulletproof and it is very functional (but NOT an "off road" vehicle.
As for the MDX argument, meh. Granted they are well built, nice cars, but it comes down to personal preference for the looks. My buddy has an 2008 MDX SH AWD, and well, he was/is quite envious when he gets in my ride or hears it (his biggest compliment, as many of us know, is that the stock exhaust note of the VQ is arguably the best around).
LOTS of happy fx owners. If u are thinking about it, check out this forum, I was on the fence for a while, but after reading so many long-term positive reviews, i pulled the trigger.
Fish around too, theres a new FX owner on here that got rid of his jeep SRT, and he said he was VERY happy with the change. Plus, if u still wanna "mod" a bit here and there, well, u can't fk w/ this choice (almost all parts are interchangeable w/ the g35 coupe).

http://www.infinitiscene.com/

For all the other revscene'er's, take a look at this site and check out "rookie's" fx, friggin 700hp fx!

Ok, Imma go, take mine for a rip now, : )

Cheers,
j
Old 09-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #79
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
^^ +3 for fx35 too.

I got one, its got power, the look (well that is subjective) AND the handling. Handling is something alot of same size SUV can't really pull off.

However the OP has a medium size dog. I have a 110 pound germans shepherd, while he fit in the trunk, its a tight squeeze. OP may want to take your dog with u to testdrive just to make sure your dog is ok with tighter spaces. The second gen is still limit to fabricated and retrofitted performanced mods at the moment but because it has a VQ35HR, I bet mods are coming just the matter of time.

also if it matter, the trunk space of first gen fx is slightly bigger than the second gen

On the upside if you get the first gen fx, there is already a pretty big aftermarket option and a cult following
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #80
Banned (BBM)

FX is definitely a good option

but keep in mind FX is NOT THAT BIG

so if u have shit load of stuff to fit in, FX may not do the job

go big or go home

QX45!!! lol tat thing is massive
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #81
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
U mean 56?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #82

hey threezero, ur on infinitiscene as well right? i think i've seen ur name 'round. Too bad that local meet never came to fruition eh?

anyhow. Dunno what happened to the OP, but ya, our car/trucks rock. i bought mine back on dec 30/08 (late xmas present to myself) and i gotta say, i look forward to everytime i drive it still....

cheers,
j
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #83

yea i'm on is too didn't log on for awhile I didn't know they were planning a local meet. I roll around with a infinitiscene decal on the rear window (well actually just the IS part cause apparantly I suck at applying decals, I already ruin 2)

QX may be great and all but its way more expensive than any of the car mention by OP not to mention how much OP would have to pay for gas.

does any of the trucks mention by OP sounds nice? I don't think I will ever get tire of the growl I get from the VQ, and when I do in a few years there will be aftermarket exhaust I can slap on and bring sexy back
Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #84
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Get the Jeep hurry!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #85
Banned (BBM)

ya i mean Q56
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
QX may be great and all but its way more expensive than any of the car mention by OP not to mention how much OP would have to pay for gas.

does any of the trucks mention by OP sounds nice? I don't think I will ever get tire of the growl I get from the VQ, and when I do in a few years there will be aftermarket exhaust I can slap on and bring sexy back
- ya, the 56 would guzzle and its not really sporty. I think is ballin, but not something i'd like to daily drive, esp in the city/parking, etc. the fx is not bad, if u don't gun it all the time... how many k's do u get out of urs, say mixed hwy/city?
-yes, fo sho. like i siad, i honestly believe the VQ note is the best sounding "non-exotic" exhaust out there.... i really can't think of any other ones that are as good. Hmmm, although i love the stock late 80's/early 90's stangs, but thats a diff. topic....
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #87

oh man my mpg is horrible. the computer on board tells me i average 13mpg. and it is mostly mix highway/city.

but
1. I can't resist gunning the VQ
2. I constantly leave the shifter in sport mode even if I'm not manual shifting
3. Me and gas is mortal enemy, I even get bad mpg in a civic...

on another note, none of the trucks suggested sips gas either. Don't know about how conservative the hybrid trucks may be. any input?
I've always wonder if hybrid truck is a good choice with the higher initial price and shittier perfomance (???) vs how much gas is actually saves.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
oh man my mpg is horrible. the computer on board tells me i average 13mpg. and it is mostly mix highway/city.

but
1. I can't resist gunning the VQ
2. I constantly leave the shifter in sport mode even if I'm not manual shifting
3. Me and gas is mortal enemy, I even get bad mpg in a civic...

on another note, none of the trucks suggested sips gas either. Don't know about how conservative the hybrid trucks may be. any input?
I've always wonder if hybrid truck is a good choice with the higher initial price and shittier perfomance (???) vs how much gas is actually saves.
- my thoughts exactly, on all points pretty much. Do u have ur comp in mpg instead of L/100km's? i'd say i average ~15-16L/100k. And i try to offset my gunning w/ periods of conservative gliding, haha. Btw, whats the most u've got out of a full tank?? I did this when first gettin it, and just think its good to know how far u can get w/ the comp indicating **** km's left before E. I friggin drove until i was sure there would only be a litre or two left, went to fill up and only got ~78 or so litres into the tank, which means i still have a bit of driving left (god our tank is huge eh? 90L's for those "outsiders"). Anyway, i've squeeked out close to 'round 500 in mixed driving. But the thing does glide really good on the hwy, milage gets waaaaaaay better...

Anyhow, ya, i concur, don't think its gonna really "save" you any dough unless u keep it for a long time until the increased milage supercedes the decreased performance and pays off the cost diff. Funny thing is most that can afford a hybrid, don't need to worry bout the cost of gas anyhow.

Btw, good teamwork on the threadjack. haha.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #89
Banned (BBM)

would you consider pathfinder / armada? pretty decent in size similar to a SUV capabilities

previous boss has one loaded pathfinder...pretty roomy
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #90
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i would NEVER buy a new jeep. I have a friend who bought one, the transmission went FOUR TIMES. He asked for his money back, they wouldn't give it to him so he took them to small claims court and got his money back.

Not to mention jeeps have terrible reliability ratings.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/Reliability.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ing_N.htm#Best
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #91
Banned (BBM)

brand new and tranny went 4 times???

did you ever changed the tranny fluid??

i find that....hard to believe

land rover is the worst? hmm still see lots people driving that thing in downtown
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #92
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
brand new and tranny went 4 times???

did you ever changed the tranny fluid??

i find that....hard to believe

land rover is the worst? hmm still see lots people driving that thing in downtown
people who drives Land rover/range rovers dont keep the car long term. So by year 3 when the waranty ran out, they already switched to another new car. No service or repair out of their pockets.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #93
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
what the fuck are you talking about? an engine rebuild every 100k? you know that's considered a lemon right? first of all, the engine on the RS4 is completely different from the S4 engine. the problem with the RS4 engines in the intake manifold gets clogged up with oil, but we're not talking about RS4's here. the S4 wagon has the 4.2 V8 with 340 HP. not the RS4's V8 with 420 HP. the 340 HP engines are built like tanks. My car currently has 140km, never had a single problem with the engine. S4 Wagon might be a bit small for a dog and all that, take a look at it, see how you like it. If you find it too small, I would suggest an allroad. get an 04+ with a 4.2, dont bother with the 2.7T unless you want to mod it. Allroads have adjustible air suspension, lots of room inside, and can go anywhere an SUV can. If you want a new car, I would suggest the Q5 or the Q7 TDI. Diesel is the way to go. Great fuel economy, great torque, cheap fuel...
The old S4 was what I had in mind as they are becoming surprisingly more and more affordable now. Only problem I had was that I wasn't sure about the powertrain durability, as most for sale seem to be very low mileage.

For me, its really hard to visualize a wet, smelly dog inside what was a class leading interior.

Last edited by synchrocone; 10-01-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling, station time out
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #94
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

your dog is going to stink your new car and scratch up the paint anyways.

just get a toyota rav4 or venza. and use the left over money to buy something fun instead.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjag View Post
- my thoughts exactly, on all points pretty much. Do u have ur comp in mpg instead of L/100km's? i'd say i average ~15-16L/100k. And i try to offset my gunning w/ periods of conservative gliding, haha. Btw, whats the most u've got out of a full tank?? I did this when first gettin it, and just think its good to know how far u can get w/ the comp indicating **** km's left before E. I friggin drove until i was sure there would only be a litre or two left, went to fill up and only got ~78 or so litres into the tank, which means i still have a bit of driving left (god our tank is huge eh? 90L's for those "outsiders"). Anyway, i've squeeked out close to 'round 500 in mixed driving. But the thing does glide really good on the hwy, milage gets waaaaaaay better...

Anyhow, ya, i concur, don't think its gonna really "save" you any dough unless u keep it for a long time until the increased milage supercedes the decreased performance and pays off the cost diff. Funny thing is most that can afford a hybrid, don't need to worry bout the cost of gas anyhow.

Btw, good teamwork on the threadjack. haha.

lol I just realize what I type. No i'm not an american I use L/100km and I average 13L. the highest I ever got was 16L and that was during break in. once the OD hit 5000km I stop worry and just enjoy the ride my way. Anybody geting any type of SUV shouldn't be that gas conscience anyways.

Also my last ride was the last generation of LR2... It was so horrible I totally forgot what it's call now I had the transmission die on me around 2 yr. The engine constantly makes strange puttering sounds. The bass rattles every piece of plastic on the thing. The sport shift stopped working after 2 years. And there is the monthly array of different dashboard light that lights up than mysteriously goes away. It does have good power, average handling and amazing offroad capability for its size (funniest time I had in that thing).

I'm sure LR2 is an improvement from the last gen however imo if you going to go land rover, go for a range rover. LR2 is just a range rover wannabe with every possible corners cutted. extended warranty might be a good idea too consider its dismay reliability record
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #96
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
BMW 535iX
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold