REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I think the idea of the powerball is good, save your time and energy.
I guess I will wax my car one more time for winter prep, it is getting colder
Advertisement
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #27
I am Hook'd on RS

It's a great bang for your buck deal. It generally has a variable speed, but no torque. I wouldn't exactly wet sand, and try a heavy cut polish with it, but say a 3m swirl mark remover, or a mcguires cleaner wax will work fine with it and a wool pad.
DarkVerses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
retired

the 3M swirl mark remover is an absolute mess to use. It dries far too quick and gunks up everywhere.

I wouldn't exactly finish off anything with a wool pad. The wool pad is good for aggressive compounding and cutting. I would never use a wool pad for a finishing step as it leaves a lot of holograms (at least with a rotory anyways)
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #29
I am Hook'd on RS

wool pad

A wool pad shouldn't leave any hollo's or swirl marks if you use it properly. We used them for finish at both kirmac and rich city. We used them on anything from a focus, to lambo's, to bmw's etc etc. Never had any problem even on the ferrari's.
DarkVerses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVerses View Post
A wool pad shouldn't leave any hollo's or swirl marks if you use it properly. We used them for finish at both kirmac and rich city. We used them on anything from a focus, to lambo's, to bmw's etc etc. Never had any problem even on the ferrari's.

I beg to differ though, woolpads aren't meant for a final finish. What kind of buffer is the woolpad being used with?

I'm not doubting those shops or anything, but I have seen far too many cars that have come out of body shops and they have holograms like crazy. And I am not talking about those average shops, these are the so called "hi end" shops.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

+1 with Truenosan.. wool for taking out wetsanding marks/compound.. foam for finishing..

I worked with ppl at RichCity and Kirmac before.. lol..
RC0310_EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #32
Need to Seek Professional Help

There are a few pros around who are capable of finishing down with wool. I can get it close, but not quite perfect yet. It takes a lot of practice. Typically not the kind of talent you find at bodyshops.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
retired

My thoughts exactly. I love the woolpad for compounding, but even using it with a polish, and as lightly as possibly, it just isn't good for a final polish.

I have a car in the shop right now, and once again, holograms left by a body shop.