REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will 215/45 R17 fit as a replacement for 205/50 R17 Wheel?

Hi,

I have got a question regarding wheels fitting/requirement.

According to tirerack, my mazda 3 will require 205/50 R17 will (for 17"). I was looking at this one ad and found out that 4 set of 215/45 R17 wheels are for sale.

Will these wheels be okay for a replacement of 205/50 R17?

Thanks in advance,

Kaito
Advertisement
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 8,011
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,164 Posts
Yes. Your stock size is a 25 inch tire. The new size is a 24.6 inch tire which is only off by 1.8%. Your speedo will read a little faster than your actual speed but everything should be ok.

IIRC, the 3 has a 17x6.5 rim, so that tire will be fine.

And I hope all the times you said wheel, you meant tire.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
shenmecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,858
Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Yes. Your stock size is a 25 inch tire. The new size is a 24.6 inch tire which is only off by 1.8%. Your speedo will read a little faster than your actual speed but everything should be ok.

IIRC, the 3 has a 17x6.5 rim, so that tire will be fine.

And I hope all the times you said wheel, you meant tire.
Another question, do you have to somehow calibrate speedo according to tires/wheels? Or is the difference the speedo is displaying in comparison to your real speed very little so it wont make too much of a difference.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 604
Posts: 1,049
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
Another question, do you have to somehow calibrate speedo according to tires/wheels? Or is the difference the speedo is displaying in comparison to your real speed very little so it wont make too much of a difference.
You "should" recalibrate the speedo/odo, but this is generally difficult (impossible?) to do and the difference in this case is small enough that it won't make a noticeable difference. For your case, the speedo will say you're doing 60 when you're really doing only about 59 kph; drive 1000 km and your odo will register about 1020 klicks.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
shenmecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,858
Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
You "should" recalibrate the speedo/odo, but this is generally difficult (impossible?) to do and the difference in this case is small enough that it won't make a noticeable difference. For your case, the speedo will say you're doing 60 when you're really doing only about 59 kph; drive 1000 km and your odo will register about 1020 klicks.
So this isnt really that big of a deal.

If i want to upsize rims and get wider tires, I don't really need to worry about speedo being off?
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 8,011
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
So this isnt really that big of a deal.

If i want to upsize rims and get wider tires, I don't really need to worry about speedo being off?
Depends on how much of an upsize and wider tires you want to go.

Say for example you had an S2000 and the stock tires are 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. Those are 24.9 inch tires (total diameter)

If you went up to a 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear, those are also 25 in tires.

If you went up to a 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear, those are also 25.1 and 25 in tires.

So for those, you wouldn't have to recalibrate the speedo.

If you were to go really wild and run a 305/30/19 tire, that is a 26.3 inch tire and then you might want to get it recalibrated.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Suprarz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: burnaby
Posts: 1,009
Thanked 527 Times in 105 Posts
i use this
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
work pretty well imo.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
i use this
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
work pretty well imo.
Thank you

It works well =) How much does it usually cost to re-calibrate your tires?
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 8,011
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito1412 View Post
Thank you

It works well =) How much does it usually cost to re-calibrate your tires?
Re-calibrating your tires, nothing.

Re-calibrating your speedo, not sure.

But don't sweat it too much because most manufacturers allow 2-4% error anyways. I used a GPS based datalogger to comfirm my car's actual speed. While the speedo said 100 km/k, I was doing 106 km/h. And my car is stock with stock sized tires.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks again
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
shenmecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,858
Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Depends on how much of an upsize and wider tires you want to go.

Say for example you had an S2000 and the stock tires are 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. Those are 24.9 inch tires (total diameter)

If you went up to a 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear, those are also 25 in tires.

If you went up to a 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear, those are also 25.1 and 25 in tires.

So for those, you wouldn't have to recalibrate the speedo.

If you were to go really wild and run a 305/30/19 tire, that is a 26.3 inch tire and then you might want to get it recalibrated.
Oh, so as long as the total diameter of the new setup is about the same as the stock diameter, then that's all good.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Say for example you had an S2000 and the stock tires are 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. Those are 24.9 inch tires (total diameter)
.
Btw how do you get 24.9 inch as the total dia. ? Isnt that 16 + (205 * 55% / 10 / 2.54 ) = 20.4 inch?

Thanks,
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 604
Posts: 1,049
Thanked 160 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito1412 View Post
Btw how do you get 24.9 inch as the total dia. ? Isnt that 16 + (205 * 55% / 10 / 2.54 ) = 20.4 inch?

Thanks,
There are two sidewalls when you measure across a tire:

16 + 2(205*0.55 /25.4)=24.88"
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh, I see. Thank you =)

One last question: If I were to purchase 225/45/R17 instead of 205/50/R17 for my Mazda 3 (OEM: 195/65/R15), will it be okay?

Thanks
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
wnderinguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nanaimo B.C.
Posts: 248
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito1412 View Post
Ahhh, I see. Thank you =)

One last question: If I were to purchase 225/45/R17 instead of 205/50/R17 for my Mazda 3 (OEM: 195/65/R15), will it be okay?

Thanks
according to the above calculator a 225/45r17 requires at least a 7" wide rim ,yours are 6.5",so I'd say no it's not okay.
__________________
Its the Internet, only complete anal pricks worry about their grammar...... or correct other peoples .Just sayin'
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 8,011
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito1412 View Post
Ahhh, I see. Thank you =)

One last question: If I were to purchase 225/45/R17 instead of 205/50/R17 for my Mazda 3 (OEM: 195/65/R15), will it be okay?

Thanks
How wide are the 17 inch wheels you have? Will you have any issues with the tires rubbing the fenders?

A 225/45 will fit on a 6.5 inch rim. Just ask the neon guys who mount 225's onto their 6 inch SRT-4 wheels.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Kaito1412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 46
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not sure whether its 6.5" or 7". I bought these tires and the wheels together (the previous user had no issue with it).

I was just wondering whether they would fit my car or not (as in, rubbing the fenders).

The new wheels + tires spec:
Wheels: 17", +45mm Offset, 5 x 114.3
Tire Size - 225/45/R17 W-Rated (already mounted on the wheels)


OEM Spec (what I have installed now):
Wheels: 15", 6.0 inches, + 52.5mm Offset, 5 x 114.3
Tire size - P195/65/R15 H-Rated

Car: Mazda 3 2008 iSport

Thanks, =)

Last edited by Kaito1412; 10-16-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Kaito1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
wnderinguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nanaimo B.C.
Posts: 248
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito1412 View Post
I am not sure whether its 6.5" or 7". I bought these tires and the wheels together (the previous user had no issue with it).
missed that part

I hope the mods /admins won't have an issue with this mazda3 specific wheel info


Quote:
Wheel info
Wheel offset calculator: http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html
See also (if you're Excel literate): http://jcbyrd24.fastmail.fm/ (Special thanks to JCByrd24 for this one.)
Offset to maintain same inner edge-strut distance:

* 6.5" - 52.5mm
* 7.0" - 46.5mm
* 7.5" - 39.5mm
* 8.0" - 34.5mm

These offsets are not endorsed and are provided for reference. Also note that there will be increased protrusion of the tires from the side of the vehicle if these offsets are used.
GENERALLY RECOMMENDED OFFSETS: (Please PM corrections)

* 7.0" - 40,42,45mm
* 7.5" - 45,48mm
* 8.0" - 50mm (RX-8 wheels)


For reference, specific offset/width/tire set-ups that have been successfully utilized by forum members are listed below. There is no garuntee expressed or implied that these set-ups will work with your car, your suspension mods, or your potholes.

* From original FAQ:

* 17" x 7.0" ~ 45mm offset with 215/45 R17 works.
* 17" x 7.0" ~ 45mm offset with 225/45 R17 works.
* 18" x 7.5" ~ 42mm offset with 225/40/R18 works.

* As seen in threads (with links):
Coming soon!

* Recieved via PM:

* 18" x 7.5" ~ 45 ~ 225/40/18
* 20" x 7.5" ~ 45 ~ 225/30/20
If you need to find the rim width it should be stamped on the backside of the rims.
__________________
Its the Internet, only complete anal pricks worry about their grammar...... or correct other peoples .Just sayin'

Last edited by wnderinguy; 10-16-2009 at 11:35 PM.
wnderinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net