REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #51
I don't get it

Speaking of the pyramids and the sphinx... I think this is the best video for them:

Advertisement
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #52
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Can the 2012 believers finally shut up now?
Posted via RS Mobile
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
according to wikipedia, they are located in guatemala, but have evolved into different races.
Technically there are only 3 races in the world, speaking from a forensic anthropological background: Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid.

Ethnically and culturally, they "evolved" into different groups.

Each of the three races have specific traits that appear skeletally which can help identify origins, post-migrations, e.i: populating the New World. MtDNA linguistics, and sometime tool traditions are also used.

Technically speaking, Mayans are of the Mongoloid race, which originated in Asia. First point of entrance into the New World (North/Central/South American) is sometime around and before 20k years ago and subsequently several more wave of immigration followed.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
some of its claim is very ridiculous and totally rule out out other possiblities but than it does makes you wonder about alot of the ancient structure how they were built and its ultimate purpose. Engineer and scientist still debate on how the egyptian pyramids were built. Many scientific research points to the spinx being ALOT older than the pyramid...

one thing i enjoy about ancient alien series is how it basically deny the existence of god by using holy literature as one of their "proof" for alien. makes a fool of religion lol, make u see how silly alot of the religious stuff ah
Engineers and scientists generally aren't morons so they stick to debating the techniques used. Notions lacking evidence, like if aliens were responsible, aren't debated.

Belief in alien influence or visitation and belief in a god = unfounded and not based in science = two sides of the same coin
Posted via RS Mobile
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Have you guys seen revelations of the pyramids?

The Revelation of the Pyramids 2011 - Full Length - YouTube
Posted via RS Mobile
That's awesome because it's so new.
2011 Nov, 22
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #57
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

move blocks with ease....who says it was easy? yah if you get 1000 slaves tell them to move the block.

yup, the slave drivers hit the easy button.

get enough people and enough time, anything is possible.

not to mention calendars are relative. its just a tool we use to keep track of seasons and shit.

I'll say it again. if the Mayans made any calendar that could predict anything, they should have at least marked down the date that their entire civilization would be wiped out by explorers. Like faster than light particles, they didn't see that coming.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
according to wikipedia, they are located in guatemala, but have evolved into different races.

similar to the ancient chinese, they became many different cultures of chinese. in china, there are probably over 20 different kind of chinese people that speaks different kind of chinese.

not all mayans were could at astrology and predicting time. only the few who could read the carvings on the temple do.
i dont mean to debate history with you or anything, but i define the "mayan civilization" in the same vein as aztec, roman, british colonial empire etc.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #59
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
the fact that you guys are even debating this and the thread is still going,

deep down 2012 scares you
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
the fact that you guys are even debating this and the thread is still going,

deep down 2012 scares you
for me, i am not debating anything. i just keep an open mind. especially when they present facts and they let you interpret what you will from them

i just love watching documentaries on stuff like this.

and the documentary posted on page 2 is a really good one.
the math behind the great pyramid is really astonishing.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 View Post
Engineers and scientists generally aren't morons so they stick to debating the techniques used. Notions lacking evidence, like if aliens were responsible, aren't debated.

Belief in alien influence or visitation and belief in a god = unfounded and not based in science = two sides of the same coin
Posted via RS Mobile
The only problem I see in your understanding is that those who believe in aliens base it on fact. Unlike religion.
Now, i'm in no way saying I believe aliens exist or whatever. But, there is very compelling evidence out there to support that some strange things were going on in ancient times.

ie. the great pyramid. why it was built, how it was built, and how the dimensions of it correlate to scientific measurements. ie. pie and the golden number, the speed of light etc.

I believe it is not two sides of the same coin because for religion there isn't really fact beyond scriptural text. ie. Christians have the bible. Whereas the Pyramids are here and we can actually measure them etc.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #62
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
watched that documentry a few months ago. would watch again/10
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
The only problem I see in your understanding is that those who believe in aliens base it on fact. Unlike religion.
Now, i'm in no way saying I believe aliens exist or whatever. But, there is very compelling evidence out there to support that some strange things were going on in ancient times.
Guess what?! I believe in aliens! In the sense that they exist, have existed, and will exist somewhere out there in the vastness of space on distant worlds. The math, our growing understanding and exploration of the universe including the discovery of basic life within our solar system, all point to this certainty. Where you lose the "facts" is trying to suggest alien life has visited earth or influenced life on this planet. There is simply no credible evidence to suggest anything of the sort. The Universe is just so damn big and so damn old and hostile to life that when you begin to consider everything and try to look at the larger picture, the chances we will even detect intelligent life let alone be visited, quickly become very very dismal to a virtual impossibility.

Quote:
ie. the great pyramid. why it was built, how it was built, and how the dimensions of it correlate to scientific measurements. ie. pie and the golden number, the speed of light etc.
Another subject I take great pleasure in is looking at the past, where we come from and how we got here. I'm no expert on the pyramids but I would say the best answer to why it was built would come from those who built it - long dead unfortunately and like a game of telephone, information gets lost as it passes from generation to generation. No alien correlation here.

The simple answer to how they built it: through human ingenuity, will power, sweat. Don't underestimate the intelligence of people back then, they were just as smart. You could even take a newborn from 30,000 years ago, raise them today, and they would be virtually indistinguishable to anyone else, able to cope in modern society. No correlation to aliens here.

How the dimensions correlate to scientific measurements? I would argue that present day people often make the mistake of trying to interpret events and evidence using modern values and understandings when looking at the past. You can easily begin connecting dots an seeing things that were never there to begin with. I'm not denying there weren't scientific measurements involved, and that goes back to not underestimating the intelligence of people thousands of years ago, but their use and meaning were best understood by those who first made them. All we can do is speculate. Again no correlation to aliens.

Quote:
I believe it is not two sides of the same coin because for religion there isn't really fact beyond scriptural text. ie. Christians have the bible. Whereas the Pyramids are here and we can actually measure them etc.
To go back to your first paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Compelling evidence of strange things going on does not a fact make. What is strange to you or me can make perfect sense to someone else. It is our ignorance that make things appear strange. Religion was born out of mankind's ignorance of the physical world which surrounded them. Ancient Alien believers are attempting to interpret and explain what they don't understand, applying a higher being (in this case aliens) to our own developments. They start with a bit of fact, fail to interpret everything, and go right for that "EASY" button and say: "Aliens did it!" The other group of people I know of who start asking reasonable questions about where we come from and why we are here and then go right for that "EASY" button, are religious people: "God did it!" This is why I say you are two sides of the same coin.

Lastly, I never thought as an Atheist I would ever defend the Bible but here it goes. I would accept the tales presented in the Bible as historical insight and possibly fact long before I accepted pyramid theories and fantasies from Ancient Alien believers. The Bible at least gives some insight into the people who wrote it, the people it was written for, and their interpretations of events of the day. Archeologists have used the Bible to help understand the ruins and bones they were looking at. Geologists have used the Bible to help understand and date geological events depicted in stratified formations like eruptions, floods, and quakes.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #64
Need to Seek Professional Help

man... i just came back from mexico and took a mayan tour and even they said they world isnt gonna end and that the a few "wetbacks" just made that rumour so that people would start coming to check out the mayan shit.

and yes my tour guide said "Wetbacks"

lol
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #65
Banned By Establishment

Why were the pyramids in Giza built?

They were tombs for the Pharaohs. There were tons of them that were built...all different sizes, all different shapes, all different techniques, and all different styles.

They are not really classified to be such a "mystery" anymore.

There are several areas that have pyramids that were abandoned during the building process due to a failure in design, as well.

Whether people believe in aliens or not, it has no relevance to the fucking pyramids in Egypt...or Mexico...or the USA...or Bosnia...or Central and South America...or other parts of Africa.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Attachment 9534

Last edited by dinosaur; 06-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.
This post thanked by: