REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Random Acts of Kindness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/592279-random-acts-kindness.html)

MG1 07-22-2016 04:27 PM

On Wednesday, when I crossed back into Canada, border guard said, "Welcome Home." Only heard this a few times in all the times I've crossed back from the US.

Of course, they're not required to say shit, but it does make a difference in one's day. I was kind of shocked and didn't say anything in return. Damn, I wish I had. Next time, I'm going to be prepared to at least say something like, "It's good to be back, and thank you."

Marshall Placid 07-22-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8774732)
On Wednesday, when I crossed back into Canada, border guard said, "Welcome Home." Only heard this a few times in all the times I've crossed back from the US.

Of course, they're not required to say shit, but it does make a difference in one's day. I was kind of shocked and didn't say anything in return. Damn, I wish I had. Next time, I'm going to be prepared to at least say something like, "It's good to be back, and thank you."

Weird.

I think 50% of the time, I get the "Welcome Home" treatment.

Or, "Welcome back"

IMASA 07-23-2016 09:30 AM

I use Nexus, they only say "Anything to declare?"

punkwax 07-23-2016 09:39 AM

I don't believe I've ever heard "welcome home" and I'm a nexus holder who crosses somewhat regularly..

yray 07-23-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8774731)
Better yet, where are the Ikea workers?

Fired :rukidding:

MG1 08-08-2016 01:28 PM

Been dead lately

Anyway, at Costco Willingdon at deli having a drink and hot dog. This chick comes up to coke machine and tries for like 15 minutes to get the machine to recognize her credit card. She looked very frustrated. I gave her a loonie and that's all it took. She was pretty happy.

tiger_handheld 08-08-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8774732)

I had this twice in my life... once at the border and once at YVR... both times I was caught off guard.... all I could muster up was a smile ..... kept thinking about the word "home" and what it really meant after the YVR time... I was coming "home" from a funeral...

snails 08-08-2016 09:11 PM

Last time I crossed over the boarder I got "where you off too... lowrider?"

I was trying very hard not to laugh as my car was full of camping gear and didn't wanna spend the next 2 hours having it searched.

Never had a "welcome home" always just "where do you live" lol

quasi 08-08-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid (Post 8774809)
Weird.

I think 50% of the time, I get the "Welcome Home" treatment.

Or, "Welcome back"

Same with me.

MG1 08-09-2016 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8778931)
Same with me.

Probably 'cause you're white, LOL.

Just kidding...........

murd0c 08-09-2016 08:33 AM

Last week I was at the New West Quay for lunch(eating some damn tasty bbq) and the GF asked me to help a older man that dropped something on the ground that has been trying to grab it for 5mins (I couldn't see because my back was to him) so I got up to check it out and he was a older handicapped man in a motorized wheelchair trying to make the table level so he could put his tea on it. I grabbed a napkin got on my knees and made it nice and level. He couldn't speak very well but said thank you and the look in his eyes showed so much appreciation it made my day.

It made me sick because tons of people were around and they were just watching him not willing to offer a hand at all

jjson 08-09-2016 09:51 AM

Like your GF :troll:

MG1 08-09-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8778999)
It made me sick because tons of people were around and they were just watching him not willing to offer a hand at all

Yes, so many selfish people out there. It should be an automatic reaction - to help others who are struggling.

........thanks again, murd0c, this world will be a better place one day.

!e.lo_ 08-09-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8778958)
Probably 'cause you're white, LOL.

Just kidding...........

Honestly, that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it.
Never got the "welcome home"

I got asked if I could do a wheelie while crossing on my motorcycle though :derp:

ilovebacon 08-09-2016 01:07 PM

reading all these put a smile on me haha. Awesome stuff

quasi 08-12-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !e.lo_ (Post 8779069)
Honestly, that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it.
Never got the "welcome home"

I got asked if I could do a wheelie while crossing on my motorcycle though :derp:

I was thinking it to but didn't want to say it because

https://media1.giphy.com/media/TziYd1ClxHmiQ/200_s.gif

miss_crayon 08-17-2016 06:22 PM

Had to get a rock chip in my window fixed and stopped by a local glass repair shop near my place. A guy was cleaning his van infront of the shop and he asked if I needed any help. Told him the situation and he said he would take a look. Long story short, he helped fix my window in the blazing sun and when he finished I asked how much I owed him for the work? and he looked at me and said, "Don't worry about it. :) "

I insisted, but he told me it was fine. He looks like the type that would be on here, so thank you again if you are! #PayItForward

murd0c 11-29-2016 02:35 PM

Wow it took me forever to find this thread and I'm shocked no one has posted in it since Aug....

I was at Canadian tire yesterday getting some water jug's filled and on the way to the store I see an older women (grandmother type) with a massive Christmas tree box in her back seat trying to get it out to return it. I of course turned around because I walked by first and asked her if she needed which and of course she couldn't stop thanking me. She bought it for her son and he didn't need it and she has no idea how she was going to get it into the store. She said Merry Christmas and the smile and thankfulness on her face made my day!!

godwin 11-29-2016 02:56 PM

For those who get stuff from Sample Source.. I put those kellogg bars , tylenol etc in freezer zip lock bags and keep them in my car along with those bottled waters Air Canada gives away.. I tend to give anyone who are homeless 1 bag whenever I can.

murd0c 11-29-2016 02:59 PM

Funny how you say that because last year I had hundred's and I gave them all to a women's shelter fundraiser they were having last year.

godwin 11-29-2016 03:10 PM

I usually keep a pack in my backpack when I on the Drive.. especially now the shelter is open at First and Commercial.

Also for those who go on the Drive and shop. If you go to SuperValu and buy things, put the receipt in the plastic boxes at the end of the cashier checkout. With each receipt, Supervalu donates a matching amount to some of the neigbhourhood mom and kids program. I guess all SuperValus do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8806122)
Funny how you say that because last year I had hundred's and I gave them all to a women's shelter fundraiser they were having last year.

Hondaracer 11-29-2016 03:28 PM

Jumped a guys car in Home Depot parking lot yesterday even though told myself I'd never do it again after another guy fried the alternator in my civic lol

MG1 11-29-2016 06:04 PM

I was afraid this thread was gone for good. Thanks murd0c, for bumping it. It always warms my heart when I see posts of people doing whatever they can to make this miserable existence a little better.

Zedbra 12-10-2016 04:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a great day with my sons today by having them being involved in helping strangers.

* we drove all over town through 6" snow and gave poinsettias to widows. Both my boys and these women loved it.

* while getting a few hot chocolates and a coffee, we paid for the order of the truck behind us. Have no clue who they were but got a wave.

* my sons once again took money they have saved all year by selling their old bikes and toys and bought warm and dry clothing for the homeless and needy here in our small town through Helping Hands Squamish. I match their savings and that equated to over $300. I am proud of those little guys. A big shout-out to Mark's Work Wear World here in town as they stepped up and threw in many more items to help the cause.

MG1 12-10-2016 04:45 PM

^making a difference one smile at a time. Your kids are going to grow up with all the right attitudes.

Instead of whining about stuff, your family is making the difference. Please keep on keeping on. Great inspiration for us all.