REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

OP, what's the uv level of your tint?
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyboi View Post
So i just recieved a ticket for having tinted windows on my car and im reluctant to take it off.....

Does anyone here know what happens if i get pulled over the second time for them? ie.would my ticket be more expensive??.... or?... Any kind of useful input would be nice. Please and thank u!
- price stays the same

btw, this should be in the police forum, and you didn't need to tell us that you are reluctant to take it off. <- think about it!
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #28

If you get a VI then you keep on driving on it...

you are going to get a 600 dollar ticket.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #29
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
he can still see the thread, but we just can't reply because we cant see in haha
So what you're saying is that it will be more like a Glory hole than anything else?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #30
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Just pay the fine and be lucky you didnt get a VI in addition. Cop made me peal it off roadside or fine and VI.
Dark Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #31
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

was i bitching about a ticket? NO, all i did was ask a simple question regarding what would happen if i was to keep it on....simple as that. All i wanted to know was if there would be extra charges and what not but more then 90percent of you guys jump on threads and cant seem to stop typing regardless if it interest's you or not and give smart replies. Get a grip and get off the computer and thinking you're cool cause you got picked on when you were in highschool. Dont let the past haunt you, lol go outside and enjoy the rain.....oh wait THERES A SAME POST ON OFF TOPIC! HURRY UP AND TYPE REPOST!!

To the people who answered my question thank you, how much is a VI?

Last edited by skidmark; 10-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.
tubbyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #32
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
I dunno whether to move to police forum, or to fight club.

moved.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djiban View Post
OP, what's the uv level of your tint?
i have 20percent on all 5.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #34
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Wow thats dark man.

I had tinted fronts. 50% in my old car. It had benefits, it wasnt dark enough to obscure my vision during the day, I never had any problems with cops, then again, i usually drive with my windows down and 50% is pretty light (still illegal). After driving a customers vehicle with 20% in the front, I can definately understand the safety issues associated with that dark of a tint in the front.

Not ragging on you just stating.

Anyways, I personally know a few people who have received tickets for tint and kept it on. Needless to say 1 of them hasnt been pulled over since for tint(But pulled over a few times for speeding/other infractions). The other wasnt so lucky, he got a ticket in richmond for tint, $110 I believe, cop said if i catch you again its a 300$ ticket and a VI. He never drives in richmond so he left it off. I think it was about a week later he got pulled over in surrey and the cop gave him a $2XX ticket + a VI.

The kicker out of that last story is the guy is like 65 years old..thought he could beat the law but he didnt.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #35

yeah. 20percent is really dark but i love that no one can see what im doin, when i first got it done i was going to originally do 50 in the front with the 20 in the back but i told myself that if i was going to get a ticket for the tint, then i would rather get it for something i actually wanted my car to look like, sooo in the end i ended up getting 20 and even so, im happy that i did it.

Maybe when i decide on a new car for nextyear i'll put on a lighter shade. Thanks though
Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #36
Retired Traffic Cop

You risk a VI #1 and a tow truck with really dark tint.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
yeah. 20percent is really dark but i love that no one can see what im doin,
You wouldn't want anyone to see that you are driving? What are you doing that is so private?

You don't think it is important for other drivers/cyclists/pedestrians to see that you have seen then?
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
I have front tint and no front plates, i've gotten numerous tickets in the past, I usually just pay the fine as a cost of running tint and no front plates. If you pay early, you save $25 bucks so the ticket is $84 bucks.

Also to answer your question, if the cop gave you a ticket, you can keep paying it off and it won't go up. However, if he gave you a VI, then you have to get your vehicle inspected within 30 days and if you don't the next time you get pulled over it will be a ~$500 fine and automatic impound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
You risk a VI #1 and a tow truck with really dark tint.
And how does that factor into "the cost of comfort"? Ticket + cost of cop-ordered tow home + cost to tow from home to inspection shop (unless you really want to risk driving it with an outstanding VI) + cost of inspection >>> $84.

Of course, if there's anything else wrong with the car, or any other illegal mods, expect the inspection to fail, at which point you'll need to make repairs, then go through inspection AGAIN. Lather, rinse, and repeat until it passes. Gonna hurt having to pull out those aftermarket HIDs and underglows, reinstall the stock lights, re-raise the suspension to legal heights, etc. etc. Lotta work for the sake of your "comfort"!

After that, if you still REALLY want to ride in comfort, you can look forward to paying the cost installing the tint again.

Just at a rough guess, we're probably pushing anywhere from $500 to $1000 here...

But you know, it's your money... personally, I can think of a lot better ways to spend that kind of money for "comfort"... like maybe an A/C system recharge. Couple of those shiny cardboard things to put in your window when you park. Maybe a pair of shades and a fake stick-on beard, if privacy is that much of a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
You wouldn't want anyone to see that you are driving? What are you doing that is so private?

You don't think it is important for other drivers/cyclists/pedestrians to see that you have seen then?
More importantly, why would not want to see what everyone on the road around you is doin?
Quote:
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #40
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Been there done that, most places in chinatown will pass VI's for $100-200 without even looking at the car. They pretty much pass anyone that doesn't smell like a cop. Also some of my cars are registered in different provinces and cops still try to nail me for tint even though tint is perfectly legal in ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And how does that factor into "the cost of comfort"? Ticket + cost of cop-ordered tow home + cost to tow from home to inspection shop (unless you really want to risk driving it with an outstanding VI) + cost of inspection >>> $84.

Of course, if there's anything else wrong with the car, or any other illegal mods, expect the inspection to fail, at which point you'll need to make repairs, then go through inspection AGAIN. Lather, rinse, and repeat until it passes. Gonna hurt having to pull out those aftermarket HIDs and underglows, reinstall the stock lights, re-raise the suspension to legal heights, etc. etc. Lotta work for the sake of your "comfort"!

After that, if you still REALLY want to ride in comfort, you can look forward to paying the cost installing the tint again.

Just at a rough guess, we're probably pushing anywhere from $500 to $1000 here...

But you know, it's your money... personally, I can think of a lot better ways to spend that kind of money for "comfort"... like maybe an A/C system recharge. Couple of those shiny cardboard things to put in your window when you park. Maybe a pair of shades and a fake stick-on beard, if privacy is that much of a concern.
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #41
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you are a BC resident ( "ordnarily resident" in BC) then you must register your OOP vehicles here as the law requires. You will then have to pass an inspection that will make you remove your tint to pass it. According to your SIG you live in Vancouver. Unless you meet the exemption requirements as a student and have applied for the exemption, then you are breaking the law.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Believe it or not, i got busted for front window tint 3 times by the same cop within the year.
Fine is always the same for me, but finally I got tired of it and took the tint off. :
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #43
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
yeah. 20percent is really dark but i love that no one can see what im doin,
Well, that's really up to you, but one of the things I hate the most is not being able to see what the driver is doing. Especially if I'm trying to figure out if the driver saw me or not when I'm approaching an intersection. There are times where I will slow down cause I can see the driver is looking the other way and never looked my way so I think they would gun it once it's clear on the other side. That's why I would like to be able to see the driver.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #44
Island Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

funny story about something along those lines, a few years ago we had a Crx towed into us (honda dealer) by a customer. He had received a VI which he claimed was a result of a loud exhaust. Well we completed the VI and it ended up costing him close to $2000 in other repairs to bring it up to standard. Everything from tires replaced, seats resecured and repaired, suspension bushings replaced,etc. The list went on. I don't know what some might consider the cost of having "privacy" is, I know that the $2000 hit him hard and I doubt he would consider doing it again.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
funny story about something along those lines, a few years ago we had a Crx towed into us (honda dealer) by a customer. He had received a VI which he claimed was a result of a loud exhaust. Well we completed the VI and it ended up costing him close to $2000 in other repairs to bring it up to standard. Everything from tires replaced, seats resecured and repaired, suspension bushings replaced,etc. The list went on. I don't know what some might consider the cost of having "privacy" is, I know that the $2000 hit him hard and I doubt he would consider doing it again.
QFMFT. That's exactly the point I'm making.

I bet he wishes he'd taken his CRX to one of b-dub's Chinatown inspection stations...
Quote:
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #46
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If you are a BC resident ( "ordnarily resident" in BC) then you must register your OOP vehicles here as the law requires. You will then have to pass an inspection that will make you remove your tint to pass it. According to your SIG you live in Vancouver. Unless you meet the exemption requirements as a student and have applied for the exemption, then you are breaking the law.
I don't spend all my time in Van, I have property in other places, those out of province cars don't spend all it's time in Van either. As far as anyone knows, it could be here for 1 week but not more than a few months at at time.
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #47
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I guess it would depend on the cop who pulls you over next?

I was also wondering the same thing.

He might just charge you the $109 again or he could make you do a VI.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #48
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The thing is, if you are "ordnarily resident" in BC..ie..have a mail address, phone line, hydro, cable, BC Care Card etc etc or any vehicle regsitered at all in BC or a BC DL, then you ARE a BC resident and are legally required to register your vehicles in BC. Get into a crash in BC with your OOP vehicle and the private companies will not cover you because you are breaking the law. If you really do live out of BC and are working here for less than 30 days, then you are OK. A few months is NOT legal. It is not difficult to do a bit of investigation to find where you really do live. I can contact the Police in the other Province and they can make enquiries at the "home address". I can also go to your neighbours & ask questions. There is also a huge amount of info in various computer systems these days.

I have investigated crashes where drivers who were ordnarily resident in BC had registered OOP because of unpaid fines, cancelled DLs etc. and they were not covered. They were also issued VTs for failing to register/get BC DL as well. Police also know what scam is being pulled and I was not the only Cop who contacted the MVB in the other province and let them know what was being done. They always cancelled the DLs and registrations in the non-BC Provinces. You are risking everything to save a bit of money doing what all other residents are required to do. 1 crash can easily cost you your financial future.

Last edited by zulutango; 10-15-2009 at 07:45 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #49
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Well, that's really up to you, but one of the things I hate the most is not being able to see what the driver is doing. Especially if I'm trying to figure out if the driver saw me or not when I'm approaching an intersection. There are times where I will slow down cause I can see the driver is looking the other way and never looked my way so I think they would gun it once it's clear on the other side. That's why I would like to be able to see the driver.
Legalizing 70% or lighter tint would solve this problem while satisfying the needs of the car owner who wishes to have tinted front sides. Everyone would win as they do in more than half of the US.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #50
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Legalizing 70% or lighter tint would solve this problem while satisfying the needs of the car owner who wishes to have tinted front sides. Everyone would win as they do in more than half of the US.
Time to write your MLA. Or just think out loud on RS... I'm sure that your local politico is on here 24/7.

(not saying that your idea is good or bad)
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote