REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #26
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
What about wired headsets with one touch answer? MUST it be bluetooth?

Reading the bill, it doesn't mention anything about that.
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post

Reading the bill, it doesn't mention anything about that.
If it is hands-free, it is OK. Does not need to be Bluetooth.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

are cops allowed to use their computers while driving?
or only when their fully stopped or at a red light?
in which case ~ are we allowed to use our phone / mp3 / etc. at a right light?
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
^ If they are doing police work (I can't think of what else they'd be doing) then I think it's ok. I don't think we're allowed to use anything anytime while we're on the road. Tho I will admit, spending that extra second skipping through songs on my MP3 player (connected to the stereo) saved me from getting t boned by a huge pickup that blew a red light.

As far as adjusting the stereo, even when flipping through folders trying to find the right song, I can almost always find what I want without looking at the deck. I think the difference is that you can hear the first bit of a song and know you need to skip a head or flip folders again, whereas searching for a name in your phonebook you're gonna have to be looking at it a lot. Running MP3 players and such, again most of those you can work by memory but anything touch based (ie any ipod but the shuffles) you have to be staring at to see where you're going.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuSouL View Post
No.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
It's kind of hard to tell at this point because they haven't published the regulations that the bill mentions.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuSouL View Post
or only when their fully stopped or at a red light?
in which case ~ are we allowed to use our phone / mp3 / etc. at a right light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
No.
It'd kind of irrelevant what the police are allowed to do or anything. For example, I have seen police cars turn on the flashers just to pass a red light intersection, or perform an illegal u-turn only to turn the flashers off and resume normal driving. Does that justify me doing those kinds of things? Of course not.

You can't really make a "they can do it, so why can't we?" argument.

Well I hope they allowed wired headsets. I just discovered my phone had voice activated dialing. I tried it out with my wired headset while driving yesterday. Works pretty well!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #33

I hope so too, mine is wired with no touch answer. And I'd rather not drive around using my PS3 BT headset.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
It'd kind of irrelevant what the police are allowed to do or anything. For example, I have seen police cars turn on the flashers just to pass a red light intersection, or perform an illegal u-turn only to turn the flashers off and resume normal driving. Does that justify me doing those kinds of things? Of course not.

Well I hope they allowed wired headsets. I just discovered my phone had voice activated dialing. I tried it out with my wired headset while driving yesterday. Works pretty well!
LOL the cops have a messaging system installed on their computers too... like an MSN sorta thing, i was once in the back of the car on the way to the cop shop and the cops were messaging each other about whos gonna be picking up Timmys and what thay all want... all while driving... I guess the cops can do anything nowdays, drink and drive, kill people, drive away from accident scenes, play with their computers while driving is just a minor distraction when you're doing all of the above

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
LOL the cops have a messaging system installed on their computers too... like an MSN sorta thing, i was once in the back of the car on the way to the cop shop and the cops were messaging each other about whos gonna be picking up Timmys and what thay all want... all while driving... I guess the cops can do anything nowdays, drink and drive, kill people, drive away from accident scenes, play with their computers while driving is just a minor distraction when you're doing all of the above

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
The difference is the level of interaction required between an MP3 player where you have to read what is on the screen and drill down into playlists to find the music you want, compared to most factory in-dash systems which require no such interaction. Most factory dash systems can be operated without looking at the unit at all (once you have familirarized yourself with the button layout).
clearly, you've never driven any sort of luxury vehicle or any vehicle that is equipped with anything more advanced than a cassette player.
MildSe7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildSe7en View Post
clearly, you've never driven any sort of luxury vehicle or any vehicle that is equipped with anything more advanced than a cassette player.
clearly, you don't know how to work a deck.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #38
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
clearly when he's changing songs, he also tunes the bass and treble to each song too.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #39
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
if you've ever used anything like iDrive or COMMAND, u'd know that you can have multiple playlists on a harddisk and it can be pretty involving to find a song you want.
MildSe7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #40

I can get through an MP3 CD and MP3 DVD's just fine. Anything touchscreen should not be used while driving though.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, and you don't have their flasher lights either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Changing a song on my MP3 player requires the same amount of interaction as changing a song on my deck.

It's one button in either case. I can do both with my eyes closed.
Why are you driving with your eyes closed????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Hopefully this won't get mp3 players banned. I use one in my car (wired to the tape deck) and don't plan on stopping.

To be honest though, realistically we can expect these laws to be enforced as often as they do for speed limits, which is not often at all as 99% of the population breaks it on a regular basis. When's the last time since driving school you actually went 50 down a major road?

The mentality will most likely be "don't get caught", but will give police the ability to pull you over if you're weaving all over the place trying to program your GPS, which I guess they had difficulty with before from a legal standpoint.

It's too bad they don't make an exemption for when you're stopped at a light. That's when I do most of my mp3/GPS adjusting.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #43
resident Oil Guru

I think MP3 players are worse than cellphones - there's no tactile response, you can't operate an iPod without looking at it..
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #44

^ Sure, but the other 75% of mp3 players out there don't have this problem as they have real buttons. I can easily operate my Samsung without looking.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #45
resident Oil Guru

^

Too bad 75% of mp3 players are iPods.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
I think MP3 players are worse than cellphones - there's no tactile response, you can't operate an iPod without looking at it..
This is the biggest thing people overlook when they whine about not being able to text and drive.

The first thing they do is compare it to using a car radio. Fixed button locations with fixed functions makes it possible to use without taking your eyes off the road.

With an interactive device such as a phone, iPod, GPS, etc... information on the screen is constantly changing. Button locations change and you need to look at the screen, determine where the button you want is located and then press it. This takes TIME and diverts your attention and view from the road.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #47

^ Not true. Many stock radios have "soft buttons" that shift depending on the mode. Sure it's not as extreme as that on an iPod but just making a point here. In fact, many instrument clusters are starting to do this as well, especially from the German makers.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #48
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
^ Not true. Many stock radios have "soft buttons" that shift depending on the mode. Sure it's not as extreme as that on an iPod but just making a point here. In fact, many instrument clusters are starting to do this as well, especially from the German makers.
Still doesn't change the fact that such buttons that change function depending on the system's mode require you to divert your attention from driving to fiddling.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #49
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
214.4 Section 214.2 does not apply to a person who uses an electronic device

(a) while operating a motor vehicle that is safely parked off the roadway or lawfully parked on the roadway and is not impeding traffic,
The way I read this, using a hand-held phone (while holding it) while stopped at a red light is permitted. Correct?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #50

I can fully operate my MP3 player without looking at because it's not a stupid ipod, and I can fully operate (read: place calls and text) without looking at either my old phone or new one. Anything with a touch screen is obviously worse for use as you have to stare at the damn thing to use it, if you're using something with real buttons often enough you end up able to use it without looking at it, the same as the radio in the cars you drive most. Yes I will admit I have texted while driving, however my eyes never left the road and driving was still my primary focus. Unfortunately of course not everyone gets used to their stuff like that, and with the wave of touchscreen junk coming out it'd never happen.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: