REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Questions about "NO Cell phone while driving" in BC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593651-questions-about-no-cell-phone-while-driving-bc.html)

cococly 10-22-2009 09:01 PM

Questions about "NO Cell phone while driving" in BC

I heard on the news that it will take effect next year.

I have class 1 licence, and I have a few questions about this new law.

1. Am I allowed to activiate the "speaker mode" on my phone while driving?

Quote:

"Hands-free cellphones will need to be built in or securely fixed to the vehicle, and used by pressing a single button – once only – in order to activate a hands-free device for incoming or outgoing calls."
2. I usually leave my cell phone in the cupholders [ semi-fixed to the vehicle ?] with the speaker mode On, will it be banned by next year?

Thanks.

impactX 10-22-2009 11:08 PM

Ask yourself, how many times do you have to press the buttons in order to pick up the call and activate the speaker mode?

Securely fixed =/= semi fixed unless your cellphone is as big as a cup and fits snugly in the cupholder.

The best (and cheapest) solution is probably to get a bluetooth handsfree device that fits in your ear.

Class 1, you are a trucker? Just curious, what do you usually haul?

sebberry 10-23-2009 12:38 PM

I too have a speaker phone which does NOT have bluetooth support. Will pressing the button to pick up the call be illegal? I use the phone less than once per month in the car so buying a BT phone is probably not an option for me.

Also, would the law ban the use of a handheld phone while stationary in traffic such as at a red light?

cococly 10-23-2009 03:58 PM

I wanted to address that, if I was already on the phone as I left the office. I then went to get my car, turned the speaker mode on, securely store the phone, and started driving.

I techinally would not be touching any keys on the phone at all while driving.

Would it be legal then?

illicitstylz 10-23-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cococly (Post 6650246)
I wanted to address that, if I was already on the phone as I left the office. I then went to get my car, turned the speaker mode on, securely store the phone, and started driving.

I techinally would not be touching any keys on the phone at all while driving.

Would it be legal then?

how would you be able to prove that when and if an officer pulls you over

skidmark 10-23-2009 08:14 PM

I've got an article about it on my site:

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment...or-vehicle-act

You can see what they have in mind now, and it could change before it is enacted. This is just the first reading bill.

wnderinguy 10-23-2009 11:48 PM

So if I'm reading that correctly ,its not just cellphones ,devices like portable radios as well as MP3 players (ipods etc..), cameras even a GPS unit if not mounted? could be banned.IMO thats a pretty broad definition that is gonna lead to a lot of confusion.

stewie 10-24-2009 09:12 AM

everyone go get cb radios, it'll be like one giant shit show while driving!

honestly though, do you know how many people will be breaking this law on a daily basis if it passes....

ChyahGT 10-24-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 6651300)
everyone go get cb radios, it'll be like one giant shit show while driving!

honestly though, do you know how many people will be breaking this law on a daily basis if it passes....

gives the police another reason to waste everyone's time by pulling us over, including theirs.

jlenko 10-25-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 6651300)
do you know how many people will be breaking this law on a daily basis if it passes....

Yes, but you can call 911 on your cell phone to report them!:haha:

stewie 10-25-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6652455)

i unno...i just have the feeling this law if passed will be taken as serious as the "driving with ONLY 1 passenger with your N"

sebberry 10-25-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6652455)

No no, you only call the emergency number AFTER they have crashed.

Inaii 10-25-2009 11:47 AM

But if you're talking on speaker phone and the phone isn't in immediate view, how are the police going to know you're not just singing along with the radio?

LiquidTurbo 10-27-2009 01:52 PM

From my understanding then, we can only activate Bluetooth headset with the one button answering.

Is dialing the phone, setting it to bluetooth allowed?

sebberry 10-27-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 6655901)
Is dialing the phone, setting it to bluetooth allowed?

Only if it is voice activated dialing. Not sure that looking down pressing buttons is a good thing while driving.

Great68 10-27-2009 04:05 PM

I don't see how using an MP3 player is any different than using the radio that's mounted in your dash... (Provided you're not listening to it through headphones ie: plugged into aux-in on your deck)

sebberry 10-27-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6656087)
I don't see how using an MP3 player is any different than using the radio that's mounted in your dash... (Provided you're not listening to it through headphones ie: plugged into aux-in on your deck)

The difference is the level of interaction required between an MP3 player where you have to read what is on the screen and drill down into playlists to find the music you want, compared to most factory in-dash systems which require no such interaction. Most factory dash systems can be operated without looking at the unit at all (once you have familirarized yourself with the button layout).

Great68 10-27-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6656121)
The difference is the level of interaction required between an MP3 player where you have to read what is on the screen and drill down into playlists to find the music you want, compared to most factory in-dash systems which require no such interaction. Most factory dash systems can be operated without looking at the unit at all (once you have familirarized yourself with the button layout).

Changing a song on my MP3 player requires the same amount of interaction as changing a song on my deck.

It's one button in either case. I can do both with my eyes closed.

Searching through a folder requires looking at the display of either device to find the song I am looking for. Again, no difference.

I'll give it to you if people are building their mp3 playlists in traffic.

LiquidTurbo 11-02-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6655910)
Only if it is voice activated dialing. Not sure that looking down pressing buttons is a good thing while driving.

Oh, I mean, dialing the phone when you're stopped and on the side of the road, or starting up the car, then talking with a bluetooth when driving.

Not actually dialing when driving. Although the Officer might have a hard time believing you.

Also, what about wired headsets with one touch answer? MUST it be bluetooth?

CA_FTW 11-02-2009 05:08 PM

If pushing one button to answer you phone thats in the cup holder isnt allowed.. then how come we are allowed to operate Touch Screen Incare stereos, Navigate through Complex MP3 folder Hiarcys.. but the one push of the answer button on the phone is wrong..

Im not changing my habits when this law comes into effect..

Does this law include the operation of Roller Blades.. Pedal Bicycle.. I mean really..

JHatta 11-02-2009 05:16 PM

I have a question.

does this law include police officers?

hirevtuner 11-02-2009 05:38 PM

it should if it is non-worked related
they are just like us driving the car, but they eat donuts

JHatta 11-02-2009 05:50 PM

what about their radios? do those count?

stevo911_ 11-02-2009 05:50 PM

you guys cant even click the link skidmark was kind enough to provide?
according to the first reading of the bill emergency services are exempt, as are operators of vehicles if they are communicating with police or other emergency personnel. The bill specifies "a prescribed class or type of electronic device" not exclusively cellphones so it very well could cover ipods etc...

4drviper 11-04-2009 09:12 PM

I see no problem with this new law coming in. Too many times everyday i am stuck behind someone doing 10-20km/h UNDER the speed limit in the left lane and talking on their cell phone.

I have been using bluetooth in the car for over 5 years now. My original BT device was ONLY one touch answer and i couldn't even call out form the BT adaptor. With my latest BT interface i have my whole phone book available by touchscreen and also i don't even have to touch anything to answer a call since i have it set up for autoanswer after so many rings.

Seriously is your phone call that life and death important that you can't wait 5 minutes to get to your destination to make that call or pull over for 5 minutes to make it? Come on now people wait for 10 minutes or more in the Tim Hortons drive through for a coffee in the morning, just make you call then.