REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   New type of ghost car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/596448-new-type-ghost-car.html)

SilverBlitz 11-16-2009 09:04 AM

New type of ghost car?

http://forum.ontarioconditions.com/p...t=0&view=print

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../PoliceCar.jpg

would this be under entrapment?

silk 11-16-2009 09:06 AM

Ontario ?
I heard a story from my buddy who went to university in Toronto, he once saw a suited up Accord turns out to be ghost car, is it true ?

CRS 11-16-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlitz (Post 6685745)

Why would it be entrapment?

Did the pseudo taxi prompt you to speed or race him?

quasi 11-16-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlitz (Post 6685745)

would this be under entrapment?

entrapment [ɪnˈtræpmənt]
n
(Law) the luring, by a police officer, of a person into committing a crime so that he may be prosecuted for it

An example of Entrapment:

PRESSURE: Entrapment occurs if the defendant committed the crime as the result of an officer’s threats or other pressure such as badgering, coaxing, cajoling, or importuning.10 For example, in People v. Barraza11 the California Supreme Court ruled the defendant was entitled to a jury instruction on entrapment because there was evidence that the defendant, a recovering heroin addict with a steady job, sold heroin to an undercover police agent only because, (1) the agent telephoned him repeatedly at work; (2) he was afraid he would lose his job if the agent kept calling, so he agreed to meet with her; and (3) during the meeting, which lasted more than an hour, the agent “importuned him relentlessly until his resistance was worn down and overcome.”

Using a Police Car that looks like a Taxi really doesn't fit the bill. :)

hotjoint 11-16-2009 09:19 AM

do taxi drivers get get pulled over for speeding? those motherfuckers speed like crazy

SilverBlitz 11-16-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6685755)
Why would it be entrapment?

Did the pseudo taxi prompt you to speed or race him?

lol no it wasn't me. I thought police vehicles aren't allowed to be disguise as legitimate businesses?

CRS 11-16-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlitz (Post 6685776)
lol no it wasn't me. I thought police vehicles aren't allowed to be disguise as legitimate businesses?

Nope, just like how they can stick on the 'N' or 'L' sign and still ticket you for speeding.

(P.S. I was referring 'you' as a general statement, not directly saying you.)

danny_d19 11-16-2009 09:25 AM

I've seen a bunch of different undercover minivans with N and L badges on the back. Sneaky cops!

twitchyzero 11-16-2009 10:55 AM

those steelies with fat sliver centercaps are dead giveaaway

BNR32_Coupe 11-16-2009 10:59 AM

thats not new. there's a two-tone teal with white colored top ghost car in vancouver. from far away it looks like a taxi. no actual taxi logos or anything on it tho, but it just looks like those airport taxi cabs because its two tone white and teal

Ikkaku 11-16-2009 11:12 AM

i remember stories a long time ago involving a modified impreza ... went to racing events and stuff.

and then Fast and Furious came out

shenmecar 11-16-2009 11:35 AM

Well, its become a habit of mine to slow down whenever I see a crown vic. This isn't even that well disguised as a ghost car since its still a crown vic.

InvisibleSoul 11-16-2009 11:35 AM

I can totally see how this would play out...

Speeder: Damn, I see a Crown Vic up front. <Slows down> Oh... it's just a taxi. <Speeds up> Something doesn't look right... <Crown Vic flashes cherries> :fuuuuu:

The_AK 11-16-2009 11:36 AM

cheeky bastards...
lol

InvisibleSoul 11-16-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6685941)
Well, its become a habit of mine to slow down whenever I see a crown vic. This isn't even that well disguised as a ghost car since its still a crown vic.

That's the beauty of it... because Crown Vics are also used for taxis... so when they see the taxi sign on top, they'll let their guard down.

thumper 11-16-2009 11:44 AM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/u-thi...ht=police+taxi

underscore 11-16-2009 11:44 AM

I'm guessing that number is just the non-emergency police number?

Regardless that's not entrapment, unless he tries to race you

bcedhk 11-16-2009 11:45 AM

i thought thread was about ghost riding

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fE03nX4gqr...ridewrong2.jpg

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-16-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 6685770)
do taxi drivers get get pulled over for speeding? those motherfuckers speed like crazy

they rarely signal too

underscore 11-16-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 6685770)

I think the officers just note the cab # from the rear and sends the ticket in?

Leopold Stotch 11-16-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 6685767)
entrapment [ɪnˈtræpmənt]
n
(Law) the luring, by a police officer, of a person into committing a crime so that he may be prosecuted for it

An example of Entrapment:

PRESSURE: Entrapment occurs if the defendant committed the crime as the result of an officer’s threats or other pressure such as badgering, coaxing, cajoling, or importuning.10 For example, in People v. Barraza11 the California Supreme Court ruled the defendant was entitled to a jury instruction on entrapment because there was evidence that the defendant, a recovering heroin addict with a steady job, sold heroin to an undercover police agent only because, (1) the agent telephoned him repeatedly at work; (2) he was afraid he would lose his job if the agent kept calling, so he agreed to meet with her; and (3) during the meeting, which lasted more than an hour, the agent “importuned him relentlessly until his resistance was worn down and overcome.”

Using a Police Car that looks like a Taxi really doesn't fit the bill. :)

when i first read that
i was like, wait so a cop can trick you into modding your car? that's rough.

you! 11-16-2009 01:15 PM

yeh ive been driving around van for ages and i've never seen a cop pull a taxi over...wtf is up with that

penner2k 11-16-2009 01:22 PM

Off topic..
How are the laptops in the cop cars connected to the station? Is it a wireless network to a cell router in the trunk?

TRD Rs200 11-16-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6686009)
I think the officers just note the cab # from the rear and sends the ticket in?

I doubt it, i think they like pulling ppl over. it makes them look powerful

godwin 11-16-2009 01:27 PM

They are connected via APRS packet radio, no need for a router, it is on a card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6686109)
Off topic..
How are the laptops in the cop cars connected to the station? Is it a wireless network to a cell router in the trunk?