REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #51
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
its worth it to get it professionally installed.

the yaris is not like the other cars which you plug and play and the lights would work.

it requires to disable the drl completly or get a relay to bypass the drl. If you just plug and play, the lights would flicker like crazy
the drl is not hard to disable? i have a yaris and i disabled them.
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #52
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

By disabling DRL's, you make your car technically illegal to drive, no?

I never understood the point of disabling DRL's; they ARE useful. There's a reason why cars are equipped with them, like your airbags, ABS, etc etc. Especially with cloudy/rainy weather now, how may times do grey/silver cars get lost in the weather because they do not bother to turn any of their lights on.

"Let's disable DRL's on my car so I can run illegal cheap ghetto HID's which will produce enough glare to blind everyone else on the road, because I'm a jackass and I'll look cool with HID's in my Yaris..."
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
By disabling DRL's, you make your car technically illegal to drive, no?

I never understood the point of disabling DRL's; they ARE useful. There's a reason why cars are equipped with them, like your airbags, ABS, etc etc. Especially with cloudy/rainy weather now, how may times do grey/silver cars get lost in the weather because they do not bother to turn any of their lights on.

"Let's disable DRL's on my car so I can run illegal cheap ghetto HID's which will produce enough glare to blind everyone else on the road, because I'm a jackass and I'll look cool with HID's in my Yaris..."
The one most common argument I hear against DRLs is that "people think their lights are on, so they don't turn on all their other lighting."

Well... coming home about 6pm last night (well after dark, in the rain and wind), from Langley to Pitt Meadows, I followed TWO different older cars, NEITHER of which had DRLs, NEITHER of which had their lights turned on...

Stupid people will be stupid people regardless of whether their cars have DRLs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #54
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The one most common argument I hear against DRLs is that "people think their lights are on, so they don't turn on all their other lighting."

Well... coming home about 6pm last night (well after dark, in the rain and wind), from Langley to Pitt Meadows, I followed TWO different older cars, NEITHER of which had DRLs, NEITHER of which had their lights turned on...

Stupid people will be stupid people regardless of whether their cars have DRLs.
True that. But DRL's usually don't light up the road enough to be noticeable by the driver. It's the newer LED/digital style indash lighting that makes people think they are driving with their lights already on. Older dashes that were lit by bulbs, if you don't turn your lights on, you can't read the dash at night. DRL's do not affect that.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #55
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
It's the newer LED/digital style indash lighting that makes people think they are driving with their lights already on. Older dashes that were lit by bulbs, if you don't turn your lights on, you can't read the dash at night. DRL's do not affect that.
I have an 08 Mazda and there are no dash lights if I just have my DRLs,not sure that is different from most new vehicles?It is more likely the bright street lights,illuminating not only the road, but the inside of the car too.

Last edited by wnderinguy; 11-19-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #56
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
How do I got about getting HID's if my lighting system uses a sealed low/high beam setup?
buy a h4 conversion kit. I recommend the hella ecodes.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #57
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
And still 100% illegal in BC.
did you learn reading yet? did I implicitly or explicitly saying that it's "LEGAL"?
And you failed 100% because you didn't learn Mercedes Benz before failing me. OEM ML55 headlights are reflector with HID. And this is exactly what your seeing in the picture ! Next time, maybe you'll fail some 99' Acura TL OEM reflector HID headlights eh !

Also, Did you even read what the OP is asking in the first post? He's asking about the quality of a $200 HID kit on Craigslist, not asking if it's legal or not !
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #58
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
And you failed 100% because you didn't learn Mercedes Benz before failing me. OEM ML55 headlights are reflector with HID. And this is exactly what your seeing in the picture ! Next time, maybe you'll fail some 99' Acura TL OEM reflector HID headlights eh !
Why would I do that? OEM-installed HIDs aren't illegal. Aftermarket is. Pretty simple distinction.

Quote:
Also, Did you even read what the OP is asking in the first post? He's asking about the quality of a $200 HID kit on Craigslist, not asking if it's legal or not !
And when the VERY FIRST REPLY informed him they were, he said he didn't know that and would spend the money on foglights instead. Obviously the OP > BEEB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #59
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
LOL typical revscene
Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #60
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnderinguy View Post
I have an 08 Mazda and there are no dash lights if I just have my DRLs,not sure that is different from most new vehicles?It is more likely the bright street lights,illuminating not only the road, but the inside of the car too.
Not sure what your Mazda is like, but my gauge cluster is like this when the DRL's are on during the day, it is at full brightness and there is no option to dim. When the car is off, the gauge cluster blacks out completely.

When you turn your headlights on, you can dim the gauge cluster some because otherwise it is very bright for night time driving. I would imagine the 07+ Civics with the digital speedo and dash are a similar setup, they are not lit by conventional light bulbs.

In your case, you would have to be a complete idiot to forget to turn on any of your headlights at night, since I highly doubt ambient lighting from street lights can light up the dash enough for you to be able to see it at night. In this case, DRL's are even more important otherwise the car is completely dark and blind to others at night.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #61
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Why would I do that? OEM-installed HIDs aren't illegal. Aftermarket is. Pretty simple distinction.

And when the VERY FIRST REPLY informed him they were, he said he didn't know that and would spend the money on foglights instead. Obviously the OP > BEEB.
sarcasm>Soundy
Old 11-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #62
Banned (BBM)

illegal or not, basically anytime u mod ur car its illegal.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #63
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

"But officer, HID makes my car feel like a million bucks, and i can see much better"
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #64
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Err no everytime you mod your car which is explicitly no allowed in the MVA is illegal.

They let you lower your car, put in louder exhausts, reflash your ECU etc as long as you follow the rules... the problem is people who are given an inch, take a foot.

Canadian mod rules are much lax compared with say Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
illegal or not, basically anytime u mod ur car its illegal.

Closed Thread