REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

When it comes to wedding, I think simple and classy is the way to go. Forget the big ass wedding with over 400 guests, fancy ass hotel, open bar, and all that bullshit. You are going to get fucked over big time!!! People will be there just for the meal and open bar and you will get shitty gifts from people you are not fairly close with.

I don't get how OP friends didn't make any money back from gifts. If they are 50-60K in debt after all gift are accounted for, that must of been one hell of a wedding!!

My dream wedding is 250 people, at a nice golf course, open bar, costing no more than $25K. Will that happen.... most likely not, but I'm praying I don't go waaaaay over budget.

mazdaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Weddings are such a waste of money. We put our money into buying a house before getting married. And when we did get married we did the bare minimum.

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100
Wedding commisioner ~$100

Total cost to get married... Around $600.

The marriage commisioner just came to our house and we signed the documents with 2 witnesses present. The documents get sent off to Victoria and everything's done.

The in-laws were away on vacation when we got married. They weren't too happy when they got back and we told them.

My Buy/Sell Feedback
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #28
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
for an average house/apartment/townhouse downpayment ranges from $20-40g downpayment, i think it makes a lot more sense saving up for a roof to live in instead blowing all out on a marriage and be fucked for 3-4 years until you slowly paying back those money that you blew.,
Once you get married and move in together, a simple one bed room condo isn't going to be enough. You are going to have to look at a 700+ sq ft place which will run you close to $400K. More than likely, you are going to need closer to $80K down payment if you want to keep the monthly mortgage payment reasonable.

And if you have kids, you will need extra rooms and sq ft.

Going back to the wedding, as what impactX said. Go to those wedding shows to get a feel for things, and see how much those deals will cost. Then find out what you have to have and negotiate.

For my wedding, we rented the Tux for me and my best man, and groomsman. $99 for three days and that included the shoes.
Wife and I and close friends/family flew down to Vegas for our wedding.
Photo's were done in Vegas, durning the "slow" time which made it pretty cheap.
Came back to Vancouver and did more photo's during the "slow' time. Dinner at a golf course durning the "slow" time kept the cost down.
Wife found her wedding dress and maid of honour's gown after hitting up every wedding shop in Van and negotiating the best deals for them. Shoes were bought online.
Wedding invites, and party gifts were ordered online and way cheaper than what people in Vancouver quoted or what it would cost for us to make ourselves.

If you can, bring your own alcohol. Restaurants will charge more for the same bottle of booze. And put a cap on how much alcohol.

Our wedding was in March and dinner was in April. If you choose a date between May - September, expect to pay more as there is higher demand for summer dates. Offset to that is the weather might be shitty. Luckily for us, it was 20+ C at our banquet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
Engagement ring ~$400

And your wife was cool with a $400 ring?
What about a wedding band for you and her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
well, weddings are once in a life time (well for most)

thats why i'd stick with hookers
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #31
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

WOW!!!! Your pretty lucky to have a wife that is okay with a $400 engagement ring....
mazdaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #32
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
HOLLY SHIT! i never knew getting married cost THISSS MUCH!

this is insane, how do ppl actually afford this stuff (no exclude the super rich ones with family support)

those who arent spoiled like a spoiled brat, getting married almost seems like its mission impossible.
Quote:
Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

That's all you really need. If you really love each other and have $600, you can get married. Everything else is just fluff on top. If you want to add some and can safely afford it, well then hell go for it. But if the wedding will make the difference between a) get married, go live in your nice new place you just bought with your new spouse or b) get married, go live in the same apartment you've been renting, then I say cut back on the wedding.

Plus, there's always that option of getting "re-married" or whatever when you're older and have the money to get a more expensive ring and throw a bigass wedding.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #33
RS Veteran

If I had my way, I'd get married in Vegas in a nice hotel. I'd be perfectly happy not having a reception at all. If I felt like spending more money then perhaps a wedding in Hawaii. I'd much rather spend money on a place to live or to know I have more savings available for a rainy day, than on an expensive wedding ceremony/reception.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Weddings are such a waste of money. We put our money into buying a house before getting married. And when we did get married we did the bare minimum.

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

I hope you mean wedding bands. Cuz I just can't imagine a traditional engagement ring (you know, with a real diamond?) costing only $400.

I got married in September 2004, on a Thursday after work. Brought a cake in that day and explained to my co-workers that I was getting married that day (imagine the look on their faces)! Got the commissioner to come over, then went out for dinner with the two families.

Then we had our dinner reception at Sea Harbour for ~180 people in December.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #35
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

The marriage commisioner just came to our house and we signed the documents with 2 witnesses present. The documents get sent off to Victoria and everything's done.

The in-laws were away on vacation when we got married. They weren't too happy when they got back and we told them.
nice, gf and I were thinking of flying to vegas and getting married then coming back and having a small get together, we dont want anything fancy. Rather save up the money for a place. Love isnt about money, its about sacrificing and making things work. You dont "need" a fancy wedding.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #36
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

$400 for an engagement ring? Holy shit lol even though I'm not balling outta control, I would like my future-wife to be able to show off her engagement ring but that's just me though. I would never spend a couple hundred on one for her, most likely over 4k+. My friend said "the engagement ring depends on how much you're making, it's usually 10% of your total income" I wouldn't want to spend over 9k on a wedding ring
JulyZerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

i used to work in banquets at westwood golf & country club.
IMO, it was pretty decent! the food is really good, for what you pay for.
the prices range from 25-45k i think. (for the banquet, ceremony, venue, service, alcohol and food)
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #38
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

i dont know dude, i dont expect one to spend their entire saving but $600 getting married seriously sounds ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
nice, gf and I were thinking of flying to vegas and getting married then coming back and having a small get together, we dont want anything fancy. Rather save up the money for a place. Love isnt about money, its about sacrificing and making things work. You dont "need" a fancy wedding.

smart
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #39

Quote:
i dont know dude, i dont expect one to spend their entire saving but $600 getting married seriously sounds ridiculous
why? I know people who have just gone to the courthouse, signed the papers, married. And my old ski coach got married at the top of Big White first thing in the morning, just him, his wife and a priest or marriage guy or something (can't remember). It's all about what you consider important.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #40
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:

Engagement ring ~$400
Wedding licence ~$100

you're a very lucky man to have such a smart wife to go along with all that

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #41
I'm like the Fred Astaire of Revscene

yeah i agree with glow... maybe $5000 for the wedding and all the expenses then $70 000 on either a trip around the world or down payment on a house... would you rather say "hey honey remember how amazing our wedding was?"

or "hey honey remember how awesome our trip around the world was and how we really got to know each other over the course of the year that we were gone?"...

weddings last a day then you have to come back to reality, traveling together provides you with unique experiences that help you grow together as a couple which is like fertilizer for trust
josh t-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #42

^ that is...brilliant.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

If I had it my way I'd probably want to elope and come back and have the wedding dinner with immediate family and close friends at a nice restaurant. Saves money on the ceremony/venue/car rentals/flowers/$6k-wedding-dress-you'll-only-wear-once that's for sure. When my cousin got married, it was only immediate family that witnessed their vows (done at Queen Elizabeth park) and they reserved a section of a nice Chinese restaurant for about 8 tables. Thousands and thousands of dollars were saved which went towards buying their first home. When they had their first kid a year later, they went all out and invited everybody to the baby banquet (It also helped that the groom's brother also had a baby the same month, they were pretty much inviting the same people and so they probably ended up splitting costs anyway haha)

Anyone ever check out Rich Bride, Poor Bride on Slice network? It's based in Toronto and it's pretty freaking funny to watch sometimes. It definitely gives you an idea of how expensive weddings can cost (flowers are damn expensive)
Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #44
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
heh.., i know someone in our community that spent 300k on his wedding and got divorced a week later... rich guy, wife took half. smart wife. lol.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #45
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

lol my friends gf wants nothing less than a 20k ring
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
heh.., i know someone in our community that spent 300k on his wedding and got divorced a week later... rich guy, wife took half. smart wife. lol.
can the wife really take half that easily?
there has to be some form of safety measure against that other than a prenup...
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #47

it depends on how long you were together prior to the wedding and if you were living together etc... a prenup can solve all of that though lol, although most women take it as an insult if you say you want a prenup that excludes her from any money haha
Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #48
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
lucky him, if she wants atleast a 20k ring then her side of the family better be paying for the whole wedding.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #49
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
LOL she better be able to cook a mean steak (and blow a mean cock) everyday for the rest of their marraige!

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
LOL she better be able to cook a mean steak (and blow a mean cock) everyday for the rest of their marraige!

better be able to do both at the same time!