REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
danizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,017
Thanked 138 Times in 75 Posts
Class 7N Overloading

I have been wondering...I have a friend who is a class 7N who constantly overloads like carries 2 other people. Not me, not using friend as cover-up...genuinely concerned for her. Whats the penalty for class 7N's who overload? Will they have their license suspended?
Advertisement
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
JSALES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,577
Thanked 2,738 Times in 776 Posts
probably get fined for carrying too many passengers and the cops will ask maybe the friend to get out and walk
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!
 
Inaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MoI
Posts: 6,554
Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
Fined and possible points, as I believe it falls under "Driving contrary to restrictions".
__________________
"Can you match my resolve? If so then you will succeed. I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavour to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." -- Monty Oum

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
she`ll be fine, tell her go big or go home and bum a ride off her that way you save gas!
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
probably get fined for carrying too many passengers and the cops will ask maybe the friend to get out and walk
Replace "ask" with "tell" and you're on the right track. The officer has the right to tell the driver to choose 1 person who can ride with her and leave the other person. Since Class 7N only allows 1 passenger, you can only have 1 friend, other friend is left behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Fined and possible points, as I believe it falls under "Driving contrary to restrictions".
Driving contrary to restrictions = points! Which is all the more reasons to get a suspension. The more points she accumulates, the more likely she will be suspended. Not only that, her insurance will go up as well as she pays off the DPP.

Oh and she'll have to pay a fine as well. But losing a friend is probably worse. Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
I AM
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,423
Thanked 1,170 Times in 275 Posts
I heard that all the friends in the car will have to pay a fine too for being in the driver's car.... is that true?
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
It's the driver's responsibility. Fine and 3 points.

What will happen with the passengers is that they will have to get out and walk from the point they are stopped.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
It's the driver's responsibility. Fine and 3 points.

What will happen with the passengers is that they will have to get out and walk from the point they are stopped.

Other than that due to the fact that she is a N

she will get suspended after the 2nd time.

for 3 months

and after that she has to pay the fine and reinstate her license for $100 reinstatment fee and anotehr 40 bucks or something for a 2 year license

ALSO

she has to restart her 2 years for the N before she can get her class 5
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
danizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,017
Thanked 138 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffield View Post
Other than that due to the fact that she is a N

she will get suspended after the 2nd time.

for 3 months

and after that she has to pay the fine and reinstate her license for $100 reinstatment fee and anotehr 40 bucks or something for a 2 year license

ALSO

she has to restart her 2 years for the N before she can get her class 5
heh...jeffied personaly experience :P?

and thanks ya'll...wish i could talk some sense into her
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
As she is breaking the law by violating her restrictions, ICBC has the option of invalidating her insurance as well. IF you are her friend you might consider telling her what you have learned here...but by the sound of things, she can't read the restrictions printed right on her DL, so you are likely wasting your time anyway.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danizer View Post
heh...jeffied personaly experience :P?

and thanks ya'll...wish i could talk some sense into her
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,977
Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
I wonder if this restriction has increased the number of young people who drink and drive. "Oh, I can't ride with Sally, she's sober but has her N and a passenger, I guess I'll drive"..
__________________
Consider reading the research before commenting on photo enforcement: http://thenewspaper.com/

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I wonder if this restriction has increased the number of young people who drink and drive. "Oh, I can't ride with Sally, she's sober but has her N and a passenger, I guess I'll drive"..

Actually, I have had this encounter before...

My friend was drunk, so i went downtown to drive his car back for him... in the end after an hour arguement he said no..

It was pouring rain he has his N and he was extremely intoxicated.

So I followed him with my car from behind... I watched as he accelerated and hit over 150 clicks... he then turns in to richmond and he crashes in to a cement wall his car flips and rolls over..

(personally I thought he was dead ) Also he was over loading with 6 people while he drives a Eclipse ( not even enough seat belts )

I got out of my car... Checked up on him.. everyone in the car was fine... but he didnt even know what was going on...

He called the police him self and I went to pick up his younger brother to bring him to the scene...

As we pulled to the side... The police checked that I was a N driver...

He got very mad and pissed at me for driving more than 1 person...

I tried to talk to him because of the emergency I drove his brother here..

As my friend was getting handcuffed and everything the police almost wrote me a ticket for overloading because of this.

I dont know what he thought was more important...
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,129
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
^^^^ did your buddy not have enough cash to take a cab instead of putting all his friends in danger? not to mention the other drivers on the road.

don't get mad at the police for following the rules. if you dont like the N rules, how about not drive at all then? i'd hate to be on the same street with you and your buddies on the road.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
^^^^ did your buddy not have enough cash to take a cab instead of putting all his friends in danger? not to mention the other drivers on the road.

don't get mad at the police for following the rules. if you dont like the N rules, how about not drive at all then? i'd hate to be on the same street with you and your buddies on the road.

Sorry, but my friend makes his own decisions.

Also I didnt get mad, all I am saying is sometimes there are more to than enforcing the rules like that...

What danger am I putting on you because of an emergency that has just happened and I am just driving a buddy to go see his brother due to an emergency

Rules are for sure needed. But sometimes they have to bend due to some reasons.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,129
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
hmm...so because of an emergency you feel you should be able to carry more than 1 person even though you're well aware that you can't.

if you had another emergency that required you to speed at 100km/hr...would you do that too?

if you had an emergency that required you to do an illegal u-turn on a major intersection, or make a left turn when its not allowed...would you do that too?
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
hmm...so because of an emergency you feel you should be able to carry more than 1 person even though you're well aware that you can't.

if you had another emergency that required you to speed at 100km/hr...would you do that too?

if you had an emergency that required you to do an illegal u-turn on a major intersection, or make a left turn when its not allowed...would you do that too?

Sorry but it depends on how big the emergency weighs against what will be the damage that could be done

this is like this

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/23/h...ph-chase-in-p/

what do you think?

EDIT: Also I am not saying that I m wrong for doing this. And I do accept the consequences that will lead But i m just saying.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,129
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i think thats stupid. you think those porsche boys are cops? were they going to get out of their car, jump the other guy or start arresting and beating the other guy up? you know what would happen if they did? they go to jail.

their stupid hero attitude put the whole street in danger just like how your drunk buddy put the street in danger. what would happen if they lost control going 170km/hr and killed some little kid walking the streets? of their car flipped and they killed the woman in the back seat? didnt think about that did you? maybe you need to "weigh the damage that could be done."

leave the heroism to the police. if the porsche boy wants to chase bad guys around, do it the right way and become a cop, not some like some punk in their fast cars.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
i think thats stupid. you think those porsche boys are cops? were they going to get out of their car, jump the other guy or start arresting and beating the other guy up? you know what would happen if they did? they go to jail.

their stupid hero attitude put the whole street in danger just like how your drunk buddy put the street in danger. what would happen if they lost control going 170km/hr and killed some little kid walking the streets? of their car flipped and they killed the woman in the back seat? didnt think about that did you? maybe you need to "weigh the damage that could be done."

leave the heroism to the police. if the porsche boy wants to chase bad guys around, do it the right way and become a cop, not some like some punk in their fast cars.


Sorry I am weighing the damage that could be done.


Can you weigh the overloading part for me ?

I drove a buddy to his brother because he was getting arested.

Was it my fault my buddy wanted to get drunk and is a retard?

No, but I realize that its not that big of a problem just because I overloaded and drove my buddy to go find his brother.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,129
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
you're totally not getting anything i'm saying. do you understand why the rule was created? maybe call icbc and ask them why they came up with the N rule and limiting how many people you can drive.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
As police officers, we have to weigh the liability we could face for letting people continue driving contrary to their restrictions/against the law (ex. L driver with an unqualified supervisor, N driver with too many passengers, class 5 driver requiring glasses but not wearing them, giving a ticket for no seatbelts, then not making sure they put it on before leaving) vs. spending 2 minutes to write a ticket and ensuring that you're not letting someone drive away in an unsafe situation.... I, personally, write tickets.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #22
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffield View Post
Sorry I am weighing the damage that could be done.


Can you weigh the overloading part for me ?

I drove a buddy to his brother because he was getting arested.

Was it my fault my buddy wanted to get drunk and is a retard?

No, but I realize that its not that big of a problem just because I overloaded and drove my buddy to go find his brother.
No, its not your fault. But it is your fault for not leaving the extra passenger somewhere else or arranging a ride for the extra person instead of taking the "easy way out" and surpassing the maximum number of passengers allowed.

Sometimes, when you think you're being responsible, you're not.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Jeffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 459
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
No, its not your fault. But it is your fault for not leaving the extra passenger somewhere else or arranging a ride for the extra person instead of taking the "easy way out" and surpassing the maximum number of passengers allowed.

Sometimes, when you think you're being responsible, you're not.


I do understand that as well, but in the end I was in a tough situation.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
And you chose the easy and convenient way out instead of the responsible one, the one that would have been responsible to yourself and your friends and everyone else on the road. Life choices aren't always going to be easy. You just have to suck it up and do the right thing.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
In your case where you watched your drunk friend drive away with a car full of people, you followed him as he drove dangerously and then HE called the Police when he flipped and almost killed them all? A real friend would have told him that if he got behind the wheel you will call the Cops and report him....and did it...or wait...how much time does it take to flatten 4 tires? Even if he was a complete stranger I would have flattened the tyres. If there is a civil trial and the Court knows what you did, you may find yourself liable for some part. I investigated 2 fatal crashes where the exact scenario you mentioned happened. The party hosts saw it happen and let the driver leave. 4 dead people resulted. ANYONE who gets drunk and drives away is a menace. Better them getting mad at you for flat tyres or a call to ther Cops, than having to live with dead or crippled people on their concience and yours. Ask them next time when they are sober...what would you rather have...dead people, and/or a criminal record or a sleep on the couch? Or how about some personal resposibility on their part before they start drinking, to plan a sober way home. BTW...the others who got into the car with a smashed driver, are as stupid as he is.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net