REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

i think OP wants to talk about the AYCE hotpot.

of course, there are other ones that taste like heaven, but if you have a big party eating at those restaurants.. then you are fucked
Advertisement
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #27
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
That one isn't AYCE. It's a different league. Then you might as well go to Garden City Hot Pot and get everything fresh.
I prefer the place @ landsdowne VS garden city.

It's better imho.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #28

Garden City hotpot is within the Top Gun group.
i go there cuz VIP card gives 20% discount =D

but let's stay on topic with the AYCE hotpot, so far i only know the following places:

1. Cattle (best imo, $1 for 2 cokes! or $4 for Henekein ftw!)
2. Lamb (meh)
3. U Good (haven't tried)
4. the place that used to be Golden Bull, is it still there?
5. Sa Bo (taste like SHIT, service is beyond horrible. is it still have there?)
6. Crystal mall Top Gun ($30 AYCE, i rather go to eat the real shit)

any one that i am missing? or should try out?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

try the place on the 2nd floor across from HKYK...same mall where ALSO used to be...
$25 AYCE..and you get ur own little pot haha..food is decent i would say..
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #30
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Well I've had the chance to try both of these since I posted last week (Hotpot in freezing weather FTW)

Haha my brief take on these competitors who just so happen to be 2min walk from each other is that:
Soup Base: Cattle - just packs more flavour, especially the Tong Yum Gong!
Freshness: Lamb - hands down, all their meat & seafood are very fresh plus the balls like beef and fish are freshly prepared, never frozen, you can taste the difference!
Atmosphere: Lamb - It's much cleaner and just overall has a higher class vibe to it whereas cattle reminds me of a "Dai Pai Dong" in HK
Variety: Cattle - This is just from my personal experience, mind you, but when I went to Lamb they were sold out of quite a few things, especially my hotpot must-eats like Bo Choy and Deep Fried Fish Skin! .. so they lose some marks here plus I think Cattle has a few more things on their menu.
Price: Cattle - .. well they are both AYCE for the same price but for drinks, Kokanee for $3.50? Score! .. also Lamb charges $5 for a pitcher of plum juice but Cattle charges $1.50 for a jug. They put ice in the pitcher too whereas the jugs are chilled, so 1 pitcher is probably equivalent to about 1.5 jug, you do the math Lamb offers $1 unlimited coke cans, Cattle is $1 for 2 coke cans, which isn't too important to me since I don't drink pop but even if I did I would assume 2 cans is more than enough for 1 meal!.. wouldn't want to fill up on pop when there's so much AYCE seafood waiting to go into your belly!
Service: Lamb - The lady (manager?) that was serving us was very nice, was very prompt to keep our soup and tea topped up, always asking us to change plates and even offered a little bit of friendly chatter, rare in these places. At Cattle all the staff looked like they REALLY didn't want to be there, had to ask for everything before they would bring it to us, from tea to napkins to new plates to soup!...and pretty much the only thing they were prompt about was our 2 hour seating limit and at 1h 40m they were harrassing us to pay up ... BUT to be fair: I went to Cattle at 7pm on Sunday and it was pretty busy and I went to Lamb at 12am midnight the following Sunday and there were only 2-3 other tables. So if the roles were reversed I wouldn't know how the service might have differed.

Overall I think they are both good in their owns ways, but since I've been to both in the last 10 days, if I had to go again next week I would personally choose to go Lamb again for the fresher food and hopefully they will have my things back in stock!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 12-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #31
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
^lol yeah i always think that too. who drinks more than 2 sodas in a meal? 3 sodas is over a liter! some ppl argue that this is one of the reasons lamb is better than cattle.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Lamb.

I have never experienced bad service there... so I have no idea what half of the people are talking about lol.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #33
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1nn View Post
i heard that it wasn't good.
Apparently the hotpot @ aberdeen is not bad.

but i go to cattle =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
that place not good man, its just "decent"
i only go to that place if lamb is packed and cant get a seat.

and as for the aberdeen one, im not sure if its still the same "four season hotpot?" but the one and only time i went, me and my mom got major diarrhea afterwards, never ever went back, it wasnt even all u can eat back then.
oh man ive been only going to You Good for the past 2 years. I always thought chubby lamb and cattle's quality was worse than You Good. Gonna try chubby lamb out after exams.

EDIT: are there any AYCE hotpots in vancouver that have " yuu fuu " ( fish meat inside a tofu puff ) on their menu that DOESNT cost a fortune? those things are fucking amazing
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
I could use a hotpot right now... so cold outside.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #35
I subscribe to Revscene

cattle hands down. cleaner feeling, great service, and the food is not bad.
lamb is definitely a little bit dirtier looking, and they do like to rush people a bit. the food is wonderful though.

the place on the second floor of aberdeen is awesome. it's actually one of the freshest meat and seafood i've ever had in gvrd. the place is extremely clean, and the service is beyond amazing. their service is as good as a typical high end white restaurant, such as hy's or bishop. the only problem is that the price is a lot higher. last time i went, there was no ayce, so each plate adds up really quick. if you can afford the food there, try it out. not disappointing at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oniyou View Post
oh man ive been only going to You Good for the past 2 years. I always thought chubby lamb and cattle's quality was worse than You Good. Gonna try chubby lamb out after exams.

EDIT: are there any AYCE hotpots in vancouver that have " yuu fuu " ( fish meat inside a tofu puff ) on their menu that DOESNT cost a fortune? those things are fucking amazing
no. AYCE never have those real fish puffs

the only place i go and have them is garden city hotpot. but they are $7.99 per plate though =S
Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #37
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
no. AYCE never have those real fish puffs

the only place i go and have them is garden city hotpot. but they are $7.99 per plate though =S
Yah @ You Good the fish puffs are separated from the AYCE menu, and they cost quite a bit per plate
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #38
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Does cattle or lamb have a parking lot or do people have to do street parking?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #39
djm
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

how is garden city hot pot compared to these two? I know its not AYCE; but what if you spend the same amount at either place?
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Lamb.. service wise is awesome for me.. never had bad service.. actually thot they were pretty on the ball.. (ex. my friend spilled his bowl of soup/soysauce on the table, before i could even turn around to ask for tissue/towel one of the workers was wiping the table already lol.. literally took her about 20 seconds from the time it spilled to wiping)

+1 to the unlimited coke!, usually have 1-2 cans but its nice not having to try savor/sip on my drink so it doesnt run out as fast.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #41
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
how is garden city hot pot compared to these two? I know its not AYCE; but what if you spend the same amount at either place?
last time I ate at garden city hotpot... it was close to $120 for 2 person
i dont think u can even be anywhere close to full for $40-50 bux
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #42
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Is Chubby Lamb open during lunch?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote