REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

hud 91gt 07-06-2012 04:41 PM

The new ride. Complete for road riding in Toronto. Reflectors rock :p

Kind of defeats the purpose of lightweight components when you attach a 4lb lock on the seat post :p

Kilinim 07-06-2012 05:25 PM

I'm looking for regular platform pedals. Any suggestions?

bcrdukes 07-06-2012 05:35 PM

I'd recommend getting a cheap set of pedals at MEC or something.

Flat Bike Pedals - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available

The pair for $10 is really cheap and gets the job done. :)

UFO 07-06-2012 05:49 PM

Found a pretty decent deal for anybody interested, smaller road bike entry level for ~300. Doubt its hot since the ad is quite descriptive and detailed Road Bike 52cm W/ Shimano Sora component

mb_ 07-06-2012 06:58 PM

No clue about bikes and would like to hop on one. $300-$400 budget. Help?

I'm 5'11

Edit: Found this one, how is it? http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...123394462.html

LiquidTurbo 07-06-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaceyQ (Post 7968274)
Where would I find something like that?

Streetwise Cycling Courses | HUB

bcrdukes 07-06-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 7968940)
No clue about bikes and would like to hop on one. $300-$400 budget. Help?

I'm 5'11

Edit: Found this one, how is it? Merida RB-660 Road Bike

That bike is way too small for you.

I have a Kona Hahanna for sale that would fit you if you're interested. $100 takes it. I just got repaired and tuned up at Kinetik Cycles in Burquitlam.

dat_steve 07-06-2012 11:19 PM

will be hitting up iona/steveston maybe ubc for a quick one tomorrow!

bcrdukes 07-06-2012 11:38 PM

Have any of you guys had problems with MEC presta tubes? I've had bad luck with two where the stem broke. They are either that bad in quality/workmanship or I'm breaking them (but not sure how.)

Edit: Nevermind. Just read some reviews. Even MEC staff say the valve sucks. :lol

dat_steve 07-07-2012 11:39 AM

yup, i've had some issues with MEC tubes too. last year i bought a few from Simon's bike shop on robson (close to work) and they haven't failed me yet! i forget what the brand was but the packaging was blue.

hud 91gt 07-07-2012 12:50 PM

48.6km today. Loving the bike, but i'm pooped. I really wanted to hit the 50k mark, should have done one lap around the block lol.

bcrdukes 07-07-2012 01:32 PM

Toronto block? Yeah, that would've made the 50km mark. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 7969358)
yup, i've had some issues with MEC tubes too. last year i bought a few from Simon's bike shop on robson (close to work) and they haven't failed me yet! i forget what the brand was but the packaging was blue.

I'm returning this crap! :fuuuuu:

hud 91gt 07-07-2012 03:22 PM

^ I just bought one of those last night. Will it at least get you home, or is it after repetitive pumps that it breaks? I don't want to carry a bunk tube around with me. lol

What do you guys run your tire pressures at? I realized on my ride two days ago mine were way under inflated from the shop (Go SportChek!). I actually bottomed out on the rim on a bump. Luckily they aren't carbon, and B) I see no damage (no flat either :p).

I bought a tiny hand pump and could barely managed 90psi out of the sucker, so that is where they stand right now. I'm 190lbs. I must also remind you the streets are shit out here. Oh how nice would it be to be back on the Left Coast!

woob 07-07-2012 05:54 PM

I was riding at 150lbs with my tires at 110psi.

Also, both my dad and I have had good experiences with Continental tubes.

bcrdukes 07-07-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 7969502)
^ I just bought one of those last night. Will it at least get you home, or is it after repetitive pumps that it breaks? I don't want to carry a bunk tube around with me. lol

They'll work. And for some people, they work for over 1000km but I think the recent batch (here in Vancouver anyway) have quality problems with the valve stems itself. I returned them today and the girl behind the counter said they've been seeing a lot of returns lately. They seem to break after repeated pumps. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but the stem just goes out on its own without me touching them.

I returned the two that I bought and swapped for a Continental tube. I then went across the street to La Bicicletta to ask them about tire tubes and yes - you get what you pay for. So for now, I'll see how they go. I have a Kenda tube on the rear of my Scott - so far so good.

Quote:

What do you guys run your tire pressures at? I realized on my ride two days ago mine were way under inflated from the shop (Go SportChek!). I actually bottomed out on the rim on a bump. Luckily they aren't carbon, and B) I see no damage (no flat either :p).
I run my front at 110psi and rear at 120psi. You should invest in a proper floor pump. The hand pumps really are for emergency situations when you're on the road, enough to limp you home or to the nearest shop. Make it a habit to always check your tire pressure before every ride. (I learned the hard way!) :D

bcrdukes 07-08-2012 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 7969358)

Was it this?

azncreationz 07-08-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 7969502)
I bought a tiny hand pump and could barely managed 90psi out of the sucker, so that is where they stand right now. I'm 190lbs. I must also remind you the streets are shit out here. Oh how nice would it be to be back on the Left Coast!

If you're going to get a small hand pump to attach to your bike, I recommend this one. I've pumped over 100psi using this. Sure, it may take a bit longer than a floor pump, but it works great. Otherwise, carry an inflator and Co2 cartridges.

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

LiquidTurbo 07-08-2012 11:44 AM

Continental Tubes + Continental Gatorskins :D

bcrdukes 07-08-2012 05:21 PM

How do you like your Gatorskins and how long have you used your Conti Tubes for? I just picked up a set of Michelin Pro 3s from Jenson for $32 each.

Spaceship_coupe 07-08-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7970032)
Continental Tubes + Continental Gatorskins :D

I have the same setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7970229)
How do you like your Gatorskins and how long have you used your Conti Tubes for? I just picked up a set of Michelin Pro 3s from Jenson for $32 each.

I'm very happy with them. I used to have Vitorras and find the Gatorskins a much better tire with great puncture resistance. They are however not too good in the rain.

dat_steve 07-08-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7969872)
Was it this?

that looks about right..honestly i didn't give the packaging too much notice :P the valve stem is nice and smooth though (as opposed to threaded) so pumps slide on real easy.

mb_ 07-08-2012 10:43 PM

Alright hipsters, need your input. Plan on becoming a hipster so make it count!

Specialized Sirrus - Fairhaven Bike & Ski

Reviews are pretty favorable. Yes or no? Will be using it for commute, riding around, occasional trail riding. That's about as much as I'd like to spend - school starting soon :okay:

bcrdukes 07-08-2012 10:57 PM

Sure, I don't see why not. Although for that price, you can maybe stretch your budget and get something local with a Deore setup as opposed to Altus.

If and when possible, buy local. How tall are you? Kinetik Cycles might have a better spec'd Scott for $400 no tax.

mb_ 07-08-2012 11:05 PM

What's a Deore and what's an Altus? LOL. You can tell how much I know about bikes.

I'm 5'10-5'11. I was looking to buy local but my uncle lives in Bellingham and he's coming here in about 2 weeks.. :D

bcrdukes 07-08-2012 11:18 PM

^
Check this one out - (NEW)10' Scott Sportster P6 Small - Reg.$540+tax - It will fit you. Si Ed just bought one and he's pretty happy with it. If you go, let the guy know I sent you. Deore is a lineup of parts and is above the Altus.

Kinetik Cycles in Burquitlam is selling it. I bought my Scott SUB 30 there earlier this year. The price is tax-in @ $399.

I don't know how others feel but I would buy local if/when possible because when you need the help and support, there's a shop that WILL back up their product and help you, especially when you need warranty, repairs and tune-ups.

Kinetik offers lifetime basic tune-ups as long as you are the original owner of the bike.