REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

chris walter 06-08-2012 09:56 AM

I started riding to work in march and think I'm gonna try to ride through most of next winter. I just have to get some warmer and drier gear.

woob 06-08-2012 11:18 AM

dat_steve 06-08-2012 03:45 PM

on the way home from work (not sure why picture quality is so shitty, must be the hipstergram)

cannondale six 5 carbon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...608_161229.jpg

steerer tube is getting chopped monday while the bike gets for the RTCC
was thinking of getting a white seatpost...what do you guys think? just not a fan of the silver clamp area right now :P the carbon is a nice touch though
http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_.../SPA2-1-wm.jpg

UFO 06-08-2012 03:57 PM

IMO too much white with white seatpost, its a pretty good white/black mix right now. Just paint the clamp black if it bothers you. White post will then need a white stem to match, then your black cranks won't match either. haha

k00laid 06-08-2012 07:03 PM

Pretty stoked! Just bought my 2011 jamis ventura race from sportchek, gonna pick it up tomorrow because I didnt have my suv with me. All in all the deal was too good to pass up, and came out to be much less then what I expected. I cant wait to ride it!

Now the next step is choosing pedals, Im just starting out so I dont need any crazy shoes with the clip in pedals and stuff. I was wondering what would you guys recommend (brand,model) for the casual fitness rider and whereabouts is the best place to acquire them? Thanks

skiiipi 06-08-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 7942019)
Pretty stoked! Just bought my 2011 jamis ventura race from sportchek, gonna pick it up tomorrow because I didnt have my suv with me. All in all the deal was too good to pass up, and came out to be much less then what I expected. I cant wait to ride it!

Now the next step is choosing pedals, Im just starting out so I dont need any crazy shoes with the clip in pedals and stuff. I was wondering what would you guys recommend (brand,model) for the casual fitness rider and whereabouts is the best place to acquire them? Thanks

Just get a pair of the Look Keos at sportchek
Use the 20% off team assist coupon
Do the same for shoes

Where did you get the bike from?
Were you able to stack the team assist with the gift card promo?

k00laid 06-08-2012 09:47 PM

Richmond centre, yes they gave me the 50 promotion too. Do they carry the look keo at all the locations? Richmond said they didn't have anythinglft except for the really cheap ones Cuz I wanted to ride it home

BTW can you use team assist online?

UFO 06-08-2012 11:00 PM

The Look pedals are clip ins, and will require compatible shoes, not sure if you consider that 'crazy'. Clipless pedals make a huge difference to efficiency though. If you are just starting out, recommend practicing getting in and out in a park on soft grass. The motion to get out of the pedals requires a bit of practice to train your body since your natural reaction is to lift the foot off, which the pedals will not let you do. Definitely do not recommend starting off on the streets right away, you don't want to cause a crash by not being able to get out of your pedals like these ones:

skiiipi 06-09-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 7942129)
Richmond centre, yes they gave me the 50 promotion too. Do they carry the look keo at all the locations? Richmond said they didn't have anythinglft except for the really cheap ones Cuz I wanted to ride it home

BTW can you use team assist online?

Sweet that they let u stack :p
I have Keos at my store in metro, but no stacking team assist w/ promo gc at metro unfortunately.
U don't need "special" shoes per say, just 3 hole mount road cleats.
Basic Giro ones go for $159.99 ish (decent quality too).

But yes, huge difference on efficiency, and practice on soft grass.
Imo ventura race needs to be ridden with clipless pedals

k00laid 06-09-2012 10:35 AM

Can you still ride with normal shoes on clipless pedals? That way maybe I dont have to buy shoes yet and can still get a feel for the bike and ride around

does sportchek price match with mec?

woob 06-09-2012 11:13 AM

You could, potentially. May not be the most comfortable thing in the world, though. You won't have much grip and your feet will shuffle around a lot on the platform. If you don't mind a disposable $30, I think you should just get some cheap flats to ride around on for the first few months. At least they will grip your sneakers.

Also, it's really nice at Iona today ;) .

k00laid 06-09-2012 07:39 PM

I ended up pickin up a shimano PD-A530 with the dual side, because I wanna take my time get use to commuting and the bike and later possibly upgrade to road shoes etc. Do you guys use SPD or SPD-SL more? Pros/cons personal experience?

woob 06-09-2012 07:50 PM

SPD-SL: wider platform, more even distribution of weight across the ball of the foot, more "locked in" supposedly, this is what all the pros use

SPD: slightly easier to clip in/out

dat_steve 06-09-2012 07:57 PM

i use spd-sl, i'm a fan of the wider platform

first time i picked up my clipless pedals, by the time i got home my hands and legs were so bloody from tipping over at almost every stop light lol

Gtrr33 06-09-2012 08:03 PM

hey guys, i have been training on a hybrid bike for 6 months now and would like to get into roadbikes, which shop should i visit and which brand should i look at?

my allowance is around $2500+/-

tia

LiquidTurbo 06-09-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pK-diU- (Post 7941893)
on the way home from work (not sure why picture quality is so shitty, must be the hipstergram)

cannondale six 5 carbon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...608_161229.jpg

steerer tube is getting chopped monday while the bike gets for the RTCC
was thinking of getting a white seatpost...what do you guys think? just not a fan of the silver clamp area right now :P the carbon is a nice touch though
http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_.../SPA2-1-wm.jpg

How you make it stand for the photo?

LiquidTurbo 06-09-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azncreationz (Post 7941273)
You best be riding with at least one other person (to draft, to beat boredom, for safety's sake, etc).

Don't care about drafting or boredom, but is it not safe or something?

LiquidTurbo 06-09-2012 08:44 PM

This summer on a hot summer night I want to go for a bikeround in around vancovuer downtown, sea wall, false creek, etc.. I'm talking like past midnight. Something tells me with virtually no cars on the road, the nice temperature, it should be an awesome experience.

dat_steve 06-09-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtrr33 (Post 7942800)
hey guys, i have been training on a hybrid bike for 6 months now and would like to get into roadbikes, which shop should i visit and which brand should i look at?

my allowance is around $2500+/-

tia

that is a huge budget homie lol look to spend about $2000 on the bike, $500 on gear (shoes, pedals, jerseys, shorts, etc)

any shop will be good but if you have a brand preference *ahem cannondale* then you can pick a location depending on the dealer. i bought my bike at BSP in downtown, they have great prices on bikes from previous seasons. they sell cannondales and treks primarily so those are two great choices. in the end, you should test ride whatever fits the budget and make your choice then.

@liquid - the non-drive side pedal is resting on that rock ledge lol i did a late night ride a few summers ago around stanley park. the experience was enhanced by some...herbal treats. safe to say it was a great trip (pun attempted) i'd totally be up for it again but sober

dat_steve 06-09-2012 09:29 PM

for those that are doing the RTCC...are you guys worried about the weather?
i think i'm going to head to MEC and pick up set of clip on fenders in case the weather turns ugly

bcrdukes 06-10-2012 01:28 AM

I prefer SPD-SL. Wider platform and less chance of bailing. :p

LiquidTurbo 06-10-2012 07:57 AM

For those with SPD-SLs, anyone tried the red version of the cleat with less float?

woob 06-10-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pK-diU- (Post 7942889)
for those that are doing the RTCC...are you guys worried about the weather?
i think i'm going to head to MEC and pick up set of clip on fenders in case the weather turns ugly

Fenders 24/7 on my bike. I ride in the rain enough to keep them on. Granted, my fenders are pretty low-profile and don't look like dental headgear.

Also, I just learned you're allowed to swap your RTCC jersey at camp. So you could potentially have a clean one for the second day haha. Just say that you "got the wrong size."

bcrdukes 06-10-2012 01:41 PM

For a $2500 budget, I'd get a Cervelo or Marinoni from La Bicicletta. :p

azncreationz 06-10-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7942810)
Don't care about drafting or boredom, but is it not safe or something?

well, I think for longer distances (like going up to Squamish), I would think it's a good idea to ride with one other person, just in case something happens! If you slide out, get clipped by a car mirror (God forbid!), get more than one flat and you're only carrying 1 extra tube, etc, etc...
Just IMO.