REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

azncreationz 12-20-2018 07:58 AM

The end is near! Order your Shimano from ChainReaction now!
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...a#.XBvJkDBKjuo

TOPEC 03-19-2019 01:12 PM

Where do u guys take ur bike to get serviced/tuned up? Or do u guys just DIY? Any reputable shops?

Derek_N84 05-22-2019 02:30 PM

Regular maintenance I do it myself but anything major I take mine to Trek Burnaby now (I use to go to BSP on Pacific and Veloholics) Can't go wrong with Velo, just far for me.

6793026 05-22-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8943308)
Where do u guys take ur bike to get serviced/tuned up? Or do u guys just DIY? Any reputable shops?

what kind of bike do you have?

if you have a 300-800 dollar bike. Any corner shop will do.
Caps in richmond
Ride on at Marpole
Union Street Cycle in china town (they open at 8 to accommodate commuters)

once you have 1000-3000 dollar bikes with groupset that are 105, i would go back to MEC / Giant / dealers for quick service.

$3k - 15k bikes, then you got Veloholics on Fraser, or La BC on Broadway.

TOS'd 05-23-2019 03:29 PM

Been working on a work commuter these last couple of weeks, almost done but not sure about securing all the parts. How do you guys secure your bolted on parts? Ie. seat post, stem, fork, etc.

Already using a U-lock + cable for wheels. Also wheels are using nuts and not quick release.

whitev70r 05-23-2019 05:54 PM

^ bring it inside or lock in a locked bike area. Securing parts just slow the thief down ... or thief will just take whole bike.

TOS'd 05-23-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8948781)
^ bring it inside or lock in a locked bike area. Securing parts just slow the thief down ... or thief will just take whole bike.

Of course that would be the ideal solution, but let's say I can't bring it in. So it's 100% going to be locked outside to a bike rack with a u-lock and cable.

And yes, securing parts just slows them down. So I'm hoping to slow them down enough to just give up.

Expresso 05-24-2019 09:13 AM

If they want parts, they will usually take the whole thing most of the time.

TOS'd 05-24-2019 12:57 PM

I guess so. My coworkers bike had her handlebar and everything attached to it stolen. They unscrewed the stem cap and clipped the brake cables. At least this project is a beater bike with sub-par parts, lol

Expresso 05-24-2019 01:38 PM

Yea just build a bike you are willing to part with. If it goes it goes.

Amped 06-11-2019 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what bike this is?

whitev70r 06-11-2019 10:03 PM

My guess is a 2011-12 Ridley Helium

https://road.cc/content/news/65748-f...dley-helium-sl

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/fi...ull%20bike.jpg

TOS'd 07-08-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 8948771)
Been working on a work commuter these last couple of weeks, almost done but not sure about securing all the parts. How do you guys secure your bolted on parts? Ie. seat post, stem, fork, etc.

Already using a U-lock + cable for wheels. Also wheels are using nuts and not quick release.

Minor update. Finish the commuter bike and rode it enough times to be comfortable with the seat height, bar angle, etc. I then bought steel ball bearings(a couple of sizes) and soldered them into the various hex socket screws. That plus a u-lock and cable seem to do the trick so far. I don't park it outside overnight as well.

If they wanted to steal it, I'm sure they would find a way. But at least they need to work a little harder to remove the non-lockable parts.

Expresso 07-09-2019 08:24 AM

pics?

TOS'd 07-09-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expresso (Post 8953100)
pics?

Of the bike or ball bearings?

Also it's easy enough for me to unsolder the ball bearings out to make adjustments. Just gotta do it at home and not on the fly when I'm out.

TOS'd 07-10-2019 10:04 PM

2015 Fuji Track Classic
https://i.imgur.com/0wvMkUqh.jpg

Steel ball bearings soldered into various hex socket screws:

TOS'd 08-27-2019 08:25 AM

Anyone ride a fixed gear? I'm interested in picking one up, I know online there are tons of cheap fixed gear bike brands but is there anything I should look for in particular? Any tips on riding a fixed gear? TIA

Edit: Will probably sell the Fuji posted above and get a new fixed gear with flip-flop hub.

TOS'd 12-01-2019 07:46 PM

Anyone here ride in a velodrome?

Araaadi 04-10-2020 03:24 PM

Bumping an old thread but is there any bikes you guys recommend for a couple are beginners. Looking to spend around $500 each for bikes that work for street, trails and mountain biking if that’s possible.

mikemhg 04-11-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8982505)
Bumping an old thread but is there any bikes you guys recommend for a couple are beginners. Looking to spend around $500 each for bikes that work for street, trails and mountain biking if thatís possible.

Going to be hard to get a bike that does all that in one.

You should look at Hybrid bikes, good for light trails and road work.

I just bought a new Marin Fairfax a few days back, loving it. They make great Hybrids.

6793026 04-11-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araaadi (Post 8982505)
Bumping an old thread but is there any bikes you guys recommend for a couple are beginners. Looking to spend around $500 each for bikes that work for street, trails and mountain biking if that’s possible.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...106774563.html

somethign like this.... not bad for a second hand bike....

disc brakes, has a rack at back... not going to be legit mountain biking but it's fits street + trails.

CL typeS 06-17-2021 10:22 AM

Bumping a super old thread; wanted to start cycling and was looking for some help from the bike gurus of RS. Roadbiked a bit back then, got the clipless pedals, and the shoes I got were squishing my feet and really turned me off that I didn't even want to ride anymore and just set the bike aside.

Now I'm looking to start triathlon training and obviously bike is a big portion of it. Currently have a 2011 Jamis Ventura Race (2011 Ventura Race)

1) Do I need to bring the bike for a full tune up prior to some actual riding? It has just been sitting in the garage for the past few years.
2) Where would you guys recommend to get a bike fit? Is it absolutely essential?
3) Any basic shoes recommendation for SPD SL? Is it suppose to be just right fitting or looser as feet expand? Half size up or true to size. Only worry with this is I wouldnt know until I actually get some ride time in and then you cant return the used shoes.

unit 06-17-2021 03:25 PM

if shoes were the main issue before, try some diff brands. i like shimano cause the toebox is a bit wider. i tried fizik, didnt like it, too narrow for me. also i'd prob recable the bike and clean and relube it, other than that just ride it imo.

BlackV62K2 06-17-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL typeS (Post 9030804)
Bumping a super old thread; wanted to start cycling and was looking for some help from the bike gurus of RS. Roadbiked a bit back then, got the clipless pedals, and the shoes I got were squishing my feet and really turned me off that I didn't even want to ride anymore and just set the bike aside.

Now I'm looking to start triathlon training and obviously bike is a big portion of it. Currently have a 2011 Jamis Ventura Race (2011 Ventura Race)

1) Do I need to bring the bike for a full tune up prior to some actual riding? It has just been sitting in the garage for the past few years.
2) Where would you guys recommend to get a bike fit? Is it absolutely essential?
3) Any basic shoes recommendation for SPD SL? Is it suppose to be just right fitting or looser as feet expand? Half size up or true to size. Only worry with this is I wouldnt know until I actually get some ride time in and then you cant return the used shoes.

If you have wide feet, then I recommend you looking into Shimano, Lake, Sidi or Bont. 100% recommend getting fitted. Comfort is especially important if you're doing any long distance and I would also recommend a tune up if its been sitting. At the very least re-lube the chain.

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a23...ke-chain-lube/


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net