REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

Alphamale 02-17-2013 02:41 PM

It was a good ride with bcrdukes, 604CEFIRO, and OTG.

604CEFIRO is a fucking beast.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7085587c.jpg

OTG-ZR2 02-17-2013 02:53 PM

Good ride today.

Both of you guys are beasts.

bcrdukes 02-17-2013 02:54 PM

604CEFIRO = Monster :heckno:

Will post stats in a bit once they're uploaded onto the server.
(Edit: Here we go! http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...um1pdccng74t5c )

Good ride, guys! :fullofwin:

tgill 02-17-2013 03:16 PM

:ahwow:

I think I'll stick to my solo rides for now.
http://i.minus.com/jIbp0ROfkLkd0.png

Question about tires, looking to swap out my cheapo stock innovas for something better. Looking at the Vittoria Randonneur Pros, seem to be a durable performance touring tire for my hybrid.

I've found the folding version of the tire for about $20 less on sale than the regular version. As I understand it folding tires usually use a kevlar type material versus the wire in a regular tire. Any tangible difference in performance for folding clinchers?

bcrdukes 02-17-2013 03:40 PM

^
Where did you ride?

604CEFIRO 02-17-2013 03:42 PM

Come on guys I'm not that ugly lol

Great ride,, we should do it again some time soon!
Posted via RS Mobile

tgill 02-17-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8162364)
^
Where did you ride?

CVG > Seawall. Ran out of water to go any further back up the CVG. Seawalls not too bad this time of the year but gotta get some climbing practice to take the causeway.
http://i.minus.com/jbcJW7Nq60sLkc.PNG

PHATFLIP_14 02-17-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 8162340)
It was a good ride with bcrdukes, 604CEFIRO, and OTG.

604CEFIRO is a fucking beast.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7085587c.jpg

Seems like you guys had a great ride. What app is this? For Android or Apple?

bcrdukes 02-17-2013 06:47 PM

That's Endomondo. He uses a Blackberry but I believe they have a platform for Android and iOS as well.

Alphamale 02-17-2013 06:59 PM

Endomondo isn't a bad app but I don't have a choice because I am on a BB. The only crappy part is that if you want hear rate monitor function, you have to pay a yearly subscription for premium services.

dukes uses Sports Tracker which is 100% free with HRM function as well.

604CEFIRO 02-17-2013 08:45 PM

Video came out a lil while ago, but it's pretty dope

604CEFIRO 02-18-2013 11:12 AM

My lbs posted this on their FB group and its a really good read

Lost art of the group ride

I think as the upcoming season approaches and we RSnet members start riding together in a group it'll be important for everyone to learn the ways of the road since majority of us are fairly new to road cycling
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-18-2013 09:23 PM

604CEFIRO:

In regards to my riding performance, I asked Pacific Multisport to follow up on a fitting. I told him what I experienced on our ride and what you guys noticed (the feedback helped a lot!) I know from last season's rides with Alphamale, I was behind, but never this bad and the biggest change was going from my Sidi's to the Northwaves. And quite frankly, I felt like shit today. The lower portion of my calves and my upper knee/lower quads are killing me. Also, my right arm/waist and hips took a real beating. This is the first time I've ever experienced such discomfort. :okay:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Multisport
Ok the reason I ask is that your Sidi's are a high heal lifted shoe , your Northwaves are a Flat soled shoe. Very different in the way you pedal. I am not saying you can't get used to them but it could take a while( months) or never.I know from your muscle tone Especially in your calf area they are very tight, using a flatter soled shoe effectively stretches them out every pedal stroke and messes everything up while pedalling and sitting on the bike.

I have been through this myself and once you get used to a high heal lifted shoe or have tight Calf muscles you are kinda screwed in using a different type if shoe. I would stay with Sidi's , Shimano's, Gearne or Pearl Izumi are brands I have or Specialized but I can't get those sorry.

Once you have balance issues with your feet it alters everything up the body. I would say go back to your Sidi's or let's get you something else. I hope this explains things?

distanc3 02-18-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8162721)
Video came out a lil while ago, but it's pretty dope

Garmin Presents -- The Edge : Let others follow - YouTube

I could see getting the garmin and watch bcrdukes, 604CEFIRO, and OTG messaging RS group to go for a group ride at 7 in the morning

:fuckthatshit:

bcrdukes 02-18-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distanc3 (Post 8163641)
I could see getting the garmin and watch bcrdukes, 604CEFIRO, and OTG messaging RS group to go for a group ride at 7 in the morning

:fuckthatshit:

It's time you get one too! :fullofwin:

OTG-ZR2 02-19-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8163120)
My lbs posted this on their FB group and its a really good read

Lost art of the group ride

I think as the upcoming season approaches and we RSnet members start riding together in a group it'll be important for everyone to learn the ways of the road since majority of us are fairly new to road cycling
Posted via RS Mobile

For the most part I thought our road etiquette was on par. We weren't blowing stop signs yelling YOLO... Unlike those hipster fixie riders sans helmets.

Mind you there is always room for improvement.

bcrdukes 02-19-2013 01:46 AM

Yeah, I think for the most part, our group was pretty good. The only time I've ever had a bad experience was with a co-worker. He's just unpredictable. :fuckthatshit:

The article is good for newbies though. The same etiquette is normally applied to motorcyclists as well (I know PRS students do this.)

Alphamale 02-19-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 (Post 8163800)
For the most part I thought our road etiquette was on par. We weren't blowing stop signs yelling YOLO... Unlike those hipster fixie riders sans helmets.

Mind you there is always room for improvement.

I'm sorry, you must not have heard 604CEFIRO scream YOLO when we crossed Burrard and West 3rd.

:lawl:

bcrdukes 02-19-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 8163805)
I'm sorry, you must not have heard 604CEFIRO scream YOLO when we crossed Burrard and West 3rd.

I won't lie - that was some scary shit. My left calf muscle started to act up on that turn onto Burrard. :fuckthatshit:

604CEFIRO 02-19-2013 06:42 AM

Hahaha :badpokerface:

I'll be honest I'm not very good with leading, pointing out hazards, etc. I got lots to improve on.

The link was more for all the other guys in this thread who might ride together in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 8163805)

604CEFIRO 02-19-2013 07:00 AM

Trust me I've been there. For the first 2 months on my first bike fit I had all these weird aches and pains.

If you do have your old shoes maybe try riding on those again.

I also had calve pains before. It was on my left leg. My first fit, my seat was too high and my cleats were not shimmed correctly (my left leg is shorter than my right leg)

When I went on my first hill climb repeats, for the few weeks after I had major left calve, feet, and right side ITB band pain. Also my right arm would have a numb tingly feeling.

What I noticed back then was that on my downstroke while pedalling, I would point my toes down instead of having my feet flat.

I went in to get refitted and Tom made a bunch of corrections (lowered the seat, adjusted seat angle, adjusted my cleat shims and angle, adjusted my bars angle).

Now everything is golden. I was told bike fits need adjustment over time so hopefully ur shop will allow u to go in to get adjusted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8163631)
604CEFIRO:

In regards to my riding performance, I asked Pacific Multisport to follow up on a fitting. I told him what I experienced on our ride and what you guys noticed (the feedback helped a lot!) I know from last season's rides with Alphamale, I was behind, but never this bad and the biggest change was going from my Sidi's to the Northwaves. And quite frankly, I felt like shit today. The lower portion of my calves and my upper knee/lower quads are killing me. Also, my right arm/waist and hips took a real beating. This is the first time I've ever experienced such discomfort. :okay:

bcrdukes 02-19-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8163865)
What I noticed back then was that on my downstroke while pedalling, I would point my toes down instead of having my feet flat.

I don't know if you guys notice but I think I'm pedaling in a square. I didn't have this problem on my Sidi's. What kind of shoes are you using again?

Quote:

I went in to get refitted and Tom made a bunch of corrections (lowered the seat, adjusted seat angle, adjusted my cleat shims and angle, adjusted my bars angle).
I'll ask about cleat shims.

Quote:

Now everything is golden. I was told bike fits need adjustment over time so hopefully ur shop will allow u to go in to get adjusted.
How long did it take you to get used to it all?

604CEFIRO 02-19-2013 12:38 PM

I did notice that your knees flare outwardwhile you pedal, kind of like V shape. That might be adding to any pains you're experiencing

It's also probably affecting your efficiency

I spend a lot of my commuting rides working on good pedal form. Feet pretty flat throughout the stroke, pushing down from 12 to 6 and pulling up from 7-12. Keeping in my mind that I need to make perfect circles with my feet.

I think if your calves are getting tired you might not be utilizing all your muscles when pedaling, or using one group way more than another.

It took me months to shed the habit of flaring my knees.

If there's advice I can give it would be to work on your pedaling. Make sure you're pushing down/pulling up throughout the entire stroke. Work on not bouncing up and down on your saddle. Not bouncing up and down will also depend on if ur bikefit is correct. I couldn't stop bouncing up and down prior to correcting my bikefit bc my legs were extending too much causing my hips to reach from side to side. When that happens at a high cadence you start bouncing.

Ride in the small chain ring a lot. I know it sucks cuz u won't go as fast but it'll train ur muscles to learn efficient pedaling.

Also I found riding at a higher cadence lighter gear rather than higher gear lower cadence gave me the ability to ride longer. Knowing when to shift and what gears to be in comes with time. But using your cardio (high cadence) rather than using your strength (high gearing) allows you to ride longer cuz u don't get tired as fast.
Posted via RS Mobile

dat_steve 02-19-2013 02:46 PM

wow scared to ride with you guys haha my first ride of the season was sooooo miserable for the reasons bcrdukes posted. just did iona then ubc and felt like crap.
i guess i just need to get my conditioning up again and get used to the saddle :(

rode to work today for the first time this year - goooorgeous weather!
when are you guys headed out next?

bcrdukes 02-19-2013 02:49 PM

You guys = Alphamale, OTG-ZR2 and 604CEFIRO

And dat_steve - I'm pretty sure you can keep up with these guys easily.

No way I'm riding with you guys anymore. :fuckthatshit: