REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

bcrdukes 02-25-2013 12:53 PM

Rather than bank on a deal, I would suggest figuring out what you want first.

The worst thing you could do is buy a bike you don't even like nor fit for the sake of a deal.

azncreationz 02-25-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8169548)
Does anyone have experience at those sales? They're both this weekend so I'm trying to see which one I'd worth the drive out
Posted via RS Mobile

Yep, been going to the South Shore Cycles sale for the past 4 or 5 years. Lots of selection and sizes, but of course, they move fast due to the sale. But yeah, figure out what you want first.
You could always swing by the Cap's in New West before heading to Delta since South Shore's sale doesn't start til noon. (assuming you live in Vancouver)

kayceeee 02-25-2013 02:59 PM

would any of these sales or even the bike show have any sales on bikes? Perhaps Cannondale lol. Went to caps and had a good look. 2013 caad10 aren't in yet but it'll be around 2300-2500 according to the sales guy for ultegra gruppo
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-25-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 8169678)
would any of these sales or even the bike show have any sales on bikes? Perhaps Cannondale lol. Went to caps and had a good look. 2013 caad10 aren't in yet but it'll be around 2300-2500 according to the sales guy for ultegra gruppo
Posted via RS Mobile

2013 bikes won't be on sale anytime soon. Maybe later on in the fall at the end of the season. If you're okay with a 2012 model, you might have better luck.

kayceeee 02-25-2013 03:45 PM

yeah I don't really care for the model year. There's a 2012 super six ultegra for 2799 at caps. Pretty good deal but it's size 54 slightly too big for me
Posted via RS Mobile

Ch28 02-25-2013 03:53 PM

I have a few bikes in mind. Year doesn't matter too much to me as long as the price justifies it :)
Posted via RS Mobile

604CEFIRO 02-25-2013 05:57 PM

What kind of riding u gonna do Kevin?

Ch28 02-25-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO (Post 8169810)
What kind of riding u gonna do Kevin?

I have 2 buddies that are pretty into cycling. They're basically like you and how you bike everywhere now lol

I'm not looking to do any hardcore races, but more for the cardio and fitness aspect of it. Spring is just around the corner, so I figured it'd be a good time to pick up a bike now, instead of waiting when it's high season to look for something

604CEFIRO 02-25-2013 07:39 PM

True that. I guess first thing you'll have to do is go around to a couple of the local bike shops and have a look around at what they offer (both products and also service / support). I'd probably suggest reading some reviews on them, look up what brands they carry and research from there.

Just like a car shop, once you buy your bike from them, you're probably going to mainly head back there for tune ups and advice etc... So you should choose a shop that's reputable / knowledgeable.

What's your total budget?

Bike budget?

Gear budget?

Even at the lower end, you should probably expect to spend at least $500.00 on riding gear ( shoes, pedals, shorts, top/jersey, helmet, gloves, arm warmers, knee warmers).

You can always get away with bare bones... Bike, flat pedals, and helmet. But your comfort will last a handful of rides until your choda is raw, and you're topping out at 20km/hr :P

OTG-ZR2 02-26-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8169583)
Rather than bank on a deal, I would suggest figuring out what you want first.

The worst thing you could do is buy a bike you don't even like nor fit for the sake of a deal.

This right here. There is lots of deals to be had, but make sure you're totally satisfied with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8169721)
I have a few bikes in mind. Year doesn't matter too much to me as long as the price justifies it :)
Posted via RS Mobile

Throw up some models!!

kayceeee 02-26-2013 12:18 PM

I have yet to ride both because weather isn't that great but just been reading reviews online but if prices are within 100$ would you take a caad10 with rival or Supersix with 105?
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-26-2013 12:21 PM

I'm biased but CAAD10 with Rival. You cannot get a sweeter aluminum frame. :D

Edit: If these are the 2012 models, I believe the SuperSix 105 comes with an FSA crank? If so, I would skip it because entry/mid-level FSA cranks are kinda :gay: That and FSA = FullShitAhead. :troll: The Rival comes with a SRAM S500 crank which has been so far better than my experiences with FSA.

kayceeee 02-26-2013 12:41 PM

Yeah you're right. I'm looking at both 2012.Eventually I was looking at changing to the fsa sl-k light carbon crank. I know the rival seems better value but I'm not too too fond of the bare aluminum myself. Lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-26-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayceeee (Post 8170342)
Yeah you're right. I'm looking at both 2012.Eventually I was looking at changing to the fsa sl-k light carbon crank. I know the rival seems better value but I'm not too too fond of the bare aluminum myself. Lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

There's a clear coat on it and weighs less. :troll:

Edit: This is a pretty sweet deal - 2012 Fuji SL Carbon Road Bike Ultegra 6700 @ $1,399

hud 91gt 02-27-2013 12:39 PM

Did the UBC loop and Stanley park this morning. 41km. 25.3km/h average. Felt pretty good. Aiming for 60k next ride.

When you guys rock through Stanley park do you take the road, or are you badass' and double to triple the speed limit on the cycling path?

kayceeee 02-27-2013 12:42 PM

^^
i normally do the road because there's climbs n descents, and its tougher, or if i want a chill ride then i ride the seawall

if anyone wants a bike, i posted mine for sale,

2011 Jamis Ventura Comp

price is open for discussions/negotiations.

604CEFIRO 02-27-2013 12:49 PM

How tall are u kaycee?
Posted via RS Mobile

kayceeee 02-27-2013 12:52 PM

about 5'7 ish, i know the bike is too big for me, thats why i want to get rid of it. also because i want a better bike lol

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 01:16 PM

Ooooh, 54cm is too tall for you @ 5'7. I'm 5'8 and riding a 54cm was a struggle.

kayceeee 02-27-2013 01:18 PM

yeah i found that the hard way, thats why my seat is so low, i need a smaller frame so i can raise the seat and get a better riding position. never buying from sportchek again haha, im looking to get a 52 probably.

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 01:25 PM

If anything, like myself, your seat post on a 52 will be okay in an ideal position but you may need a longer stem so make sure the shop you get it from will include a fitting! :)

bcedhk 02-27-2013 01:38 PM

any helmet suggestion for bigger sized head's? I wear size 7 1/4 (based on new era caps). I tried some helmets from GIRO and MET at MEC, the large fits well but makes my head look freaking huge are helmets on the market that are fitted for bigger head individuals but still maintain a streamline look & safety?

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 01:54 PM

You have to start looking into getting more of the race designed helmets. The mountain bike and "road cycling" helmets at MEC will always look big.

I'm using a medium sized Bell Sweep and it's much better than my one-size-fits-all Giro helmet.

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 02:15 PM

Anybody brave enough to reply to this thread? :troll:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68102...rsections.html

JLC 02-27-2013 03:20 PM

Wow i havn't come back to this thread in a long time but looks like this baby is constantly alive and kicking...Love it!

Picked up a new bike off Craigslist two weekends ago! I had to take a ferry out to Nanaimo just to pick it up! Turned out to be almost a 9hr travel day round trip from my house (ferry delays) but boy was it worth it!! Crappy thing is I have yet to go for a ride and its just sitting in my living room taunting and teasing me everyday! I'm waiting for my new pedals and shoes to get in (ebay) and then I have to get the bike fitted and tuned before I go for a nice long ride!

Didnt' realize there were so many road riders on this site!! If anyone is ever looking to go for a ride and is starting out close to UBC, i'm out that way so would be super down to meet some new riders!

But yeah if anyone is out on the west side of Van, I met this guy who runs a shop out of his garage in the Dunbar area. He builds custom steel and aluminum bikes as well as does all around bike tuning and maintenance. Great guy and seems to know his stuff quite well. His garage workshop is SICK as hell too!! Anyone in that area looking for a local fellow to work on your bike, let me know and I'll pass over info!