REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #476
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Rode my bike to work last week along the BC Parkway pedestrian/bike urban trail and the path was super bumpy east of Metrotown especially during the Royal Oak stretch. It felt like I was going off-roading at times.

Nonetheless it was an awesome ride. I go to work early enough (I leave my house at 6am) that I can probably use Imperial instead of the bike route on the way there since there isn't much traffic at that time.

Do any of you guys regularly ride with cameras rolling on your helmet or bike?
Advertisement

Last edited by mickz; 07-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.
mickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #477
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Not a bad choice. I use to have a Kona Jake the Snake, and loved it. Regret selling it!
I just picked up another bike frame today, and it's a Kona (Kona Zing Supreme Dedacciai) Alum/Carbon frame, made in Italy! No pics yet, waiting for delivery to Pt. Roberts.
Guess the gruppos will have to wait now...need more $$$, as I have to get 2 sets now.
WTF!?

Baller indeed! Where did you get it? ChainLove.com?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #478
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
WTF!?

Baller indeed! Where did you get it? ChainLove.com?
We know you're the baller. Me, it's called a maxed out credit card.
Got it from eBay. Looking forward to getting it in my hands, but might have to cheap out and go old Shimano 9 spd. Yep, 9-spd. Did I say my credit card is maxed? So sad.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #479
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Road my bike to work last week along the BC Parkway pedestrian/bike urban trail and the path was super bumpy east of Metrotown especially during the Royal Oak stretch. It felt like I was going off-roading at times.

Nonetheless it was an awesome ride. I go to work early enough (I leave my house at 6am) that I can probably use Imperial instead of the bike route on the way there since there isn't much traffic at that time.

Do any of you guys regularly ride with cameras rolling on your helmet or bike?
That use to my route to work too, and at that same early hour! Yes, that part of the route is a bit bumpy, but not too bad. They are injecting a million bucks into the BC Parkway trail, but who knows where that money is going towards. (This was told to me by HUB Vancouver). Imperial's not bad, watch out for cars. Or, you can cut south and use Rumble (after Gilley) if your work is that direction.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #480
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

The weather was nice out yesterday so I decided to take the bike out since I installed some new parts to see how I'd like it. What was supposed to be a quick ride turned out to be a long one. I wasn't fully kitted as I was in jeans and a t-shirt and the looks from the roadies along the Jericho beach stretch was kind of interesting lol.

The hill up to UBC after the beach is killer! It seemed to go on forever.

Pardon the Hipstergram pics lol.

Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #481
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Jeezus. 68km in jeans. My taint would be screaming in pain at that distance. Nice job!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Jeezus. 68km in jeans. My taint would be screaming in pain at that distance. Nice job!
Lol. Thanks! Trust me I was in pain at the end of the ride. My quads were burning by the time I finished. Surprisingly the new seat and seatpost made the ride bearable. This was my first real ride with the clipless pedals and I must say what a difference they made.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #483
J89
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
Lol. Thanks! Trust me I was in pain at the end of the ride. My quads were burning by the time I finished. Surprisingly the new seat and seatpost made the ride bearable. This was my first real ride with the clipless pedals and I must say what a difference they made.
I wanted to ride with you this past sat or sun(but it rained) But now I know your capable of riding that far 0__0 i dunno anymore LOL I'm too noob with my department store bike LOL
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #484
RS Veteran

Prelude_2_NV,

Could you post your route/which streets you took? I'd like to take on that challenge and see how poorly I fare.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I wanted to ride with you this past sat or sun(but it rained) But now I know your capable of riding that far 0__0 i dunno anymore LOL I'm too noob with my department store bike LOL
If you look at the stats from the Cyclemeter app, I took almost a total of 2.5 hours of break time. Those were resting the legs, eating and smoke breaks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Prelude_2_NV,

Could you post your route/which streets you took? I'd like to take on that challenge and see how poorly I fare.
Mike I'm sure you'll fare better than me as I'm really out of shape.

I drove my car and parked it by Byrne Creek High School and that's where I started. I headed east along 12th Ave then headed up 4th St to hit 13th Ave. Made a left at Cariboo Rd to start heading north and bombed down the hill then made another left at Government St. Went along Winston St to Bainbridge up the hill. Made a left to Lougheed then went along the Central Valley Greenway starting at Gilmore.

I then made my way towards Granville Island along Charleston Rd by the Olympic Village. Made a right at Burrard to go along West 1st Ave and continued onto Point Grey Rd. Then cut across to hit up West 4th Ave by Jericho Park and continued onto Jericho Beach via NW Marine Dr. Struggled up the hill towards UBC to continue along NW Marine Dr then made a left at West 41st Ave. I kept going east till I hit the Ridgeway Bikeway to head south then made my way along East 45th Ave (still the Ridgeway Bikeway).

Finally hit Boundary Rd where I rode along the BC Parkway Urban Trail. I then went along Imperial till I hit Macphearson and realized I was almost at my car. From there I used Beresford till I hit Griffiths then I saw my car. I was thankful to see my car because my legs were just done!

My next personal goal is to hit 100km on a single ride. I think I'll hit up Richmond as this route had many hills and just made my legs jelly.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #486
RS Veteran

LOL WTF?!?! I don't think so man. 36KM is pretty hard for me as it is. You are being too hard on yourself!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #487
RS Veteran

If anybody is looking for a single speed/track bike/fixie - I have a 2010 Kona Bandwagon for sale.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #488
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

holy crap prelude2nv! fastest speed 78km!!?
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
holy crap prelude2nv! fastest speed 78km!!?
Haha yeah. I've hit 79 km/h before passing cars down a hill.

Last edited by Spaceship_coupe; 07-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #490
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Chainlove is going to be the death of me, I love deals!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #491
I subscribe to Revscene

^ i had to force myself off bonktown (now merged with chainlove) because i'd keep buying shit i didn't need.

no excuse not to ride to work for the next two weeks! cool enough in the mornings so i don't arrive at the office all sweaty, perfect weather after work to get in a hard ride home. drop those 30 pound hybridz all day baybay
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #492
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

One day I will reach Prelude_2_NV levels, for now just a quick ride on my Devinci hybrid.

App & Website is Endomondo, works pretty much like Cyclemeter but with the social media/tracking stuff to motivate me. Also advantage to Endomondo is that most functionality is free.
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #493
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

hey guys, I'm looking at getting into mountain biking. I did the Whistler bike park once and had a blast. Should I start out with a hardtail or go straight to full suspension? Any good learner trails in the lower mainland that's not too busy?
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #494
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
FINALLY RIDING WEATHER!
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #495
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I'm so excited to start riding. I'm going to buy my first roadbike this weekend. Anyone have any tips/routes for a newbie?
StaceyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #496
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyQ View Post
I'm so excited to start riding. I'm going to buy my first roadbike this weekend. Anyone have any tips/routes for a newbie?
If you're totally new to biking, I totally recommend a road lesson. Sounds stupid, but seriously, it's worth it, to learn the rules of the road, techniques, how to be safe.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #497
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Where would I find something like that?
StaceyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #498

Commuted to work again the last 2 days via bike. Some of these cyclists are fearless... they'll dart through traffic circles at full speed. I always brake coming into these, take a look and then go. This was a stretch on Windsor from 37th heading north towards 10th.

Edit: Also, what cycling apps that are free do you guys recommend? I just upgraded to an Android from my Blackberry 2 days ago and have been using the "Strava Cycling" app to track my distance.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyQ View Post
I've been sticking to these bikeways: http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transpor...011BikeMap.pdf

There's not a large amount of vehicle traffic on these bikeways and seeing other cyclists on the road makes it a bit more reassuring as well. I would be extra careful during rush hour though because when the main roads get congested, motorists tend to speed through the small streets looking for shortcuts.

The only stretch I've felt a bit nervous on so far was on 45th between Central Park and Rupert since it's one of the busiest bikeway streets I've been on.

Burnaby has a map as well: http://www.burnaby.ca/Assets/multipl...s/Bike+Map.pdf I've only been on the BC Parkway route so far so I can't really comment about the others.

I just wouldn't trust the routes off Google Maps since they'll include gravel and other unpaved roads as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #500
RS Veteran

Put on some miles onto the Bandwagon today.

I made it up this overpass!