REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #1626
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Yea, I'm not going to waste my breathe in that thread. Some of the posts in there are retarded. Someones posting that they purposely ride the right side of the lane just to annoy cyclists? And everyone is "Liking" the post? Fuckin immature.

And tbh, i don't support rolling stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Anybody brave enough to reply to this thread?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68102...rsections.html
Advertisement
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1627
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Every time I think of rolling stops and roundabouts, I think of the hipsters we saw on W. 10th crossing Burrard.

#YOLO

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1628

Rapha Spring Summer 2013

Pro team bibs and light weight bibs are so boner

Rapha Spring/Summer 2013
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #1629
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Yea, I'm not going to waste my breathe in that thread. Some of the posts in there are retarded. Someones posting that they purposely ride the right side of the lane just to annoy cyclists? And everyone is "Liking" the post? Fuckin immature.

And tbh, i don't support rolling stops.
Personally when I drive and see a cyclist in my rear view, I keep close to the curb too to discourage cyclists from pulling up alongside me. If I'm turning right, I don't have to worry about the cyclist riding into my blindspot. Some cyclist are also not good at riding in a straight line at slow speed and lose balance and can clip/scratch cars. It really doesn't harm cyclists to wait in line behind me when I'm waiting at a light.

Rolling stops are as much of an issue for cars as they are bikes. 95% of the time I'm driving I don't full stop at a stop sign especially if there are no other cars in the intersection. Same thinking applies when I'm riding. Proper execution of allowing legal stops for cyclists just requires common sense on the rider's part, and for that reason, I don't support it.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #1630
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Ad for Cap's sale is on their Facebook page.

They have their 2012 Trek 2.1c demos on sale for $699.99
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1631
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I think is only for one?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #1632
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Yeah, looks like it is. Going to keep an eye out for South Shores sale tonight.

Leaning towards that Fuji bike that bcrdukes posted up, just because how good of a deal that is
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #1633
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Personally when I drive and see a cyclist in my rear view, I keep close to the curb too to discourage cyclists from pulling up alongside me. If I'm turning right, I don't have to worry about the cyclist riding into my blindspot. Some cyclist are also not good at riding in a straight line at slow speed and lose balance and can clip/scratch cars. It really doesn't harm cyclists to wait in line behind me when I'm waiting at a light.
Cyclist's pull up beside so you can see them. IF you have your signal on, any cyclist is going to stay behind you and let you maneuver.

Go back to the other thread and spew your hatred for cyclist's. Don't come in here and ridicule us.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #1634
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Cyclist's pull up beside so you can see them. IF you have your signal on, any cyclist is going to stay behind you and let you maneuver.

Go back to the other thread and spew your hatred for cyclist's. Don't come in here and ridicule us.
Yeah, if I see a car signalling, I stay behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Leaning towards that Fuji bike that bcrdukes posted up, just because how good of a deal that is
How tall are you? Just an FYI though, the Fuji from Jenson USA will be partially assembled. If you or your friends know how to fully assemble it, great. If not, take it to a shop for them to build it up for you.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1635
Better safe than Surrey

Ch28 This is a sweet deal:

2012 Felt Z4

If I was in the market for a full road ride, I would of snapped this up!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #1636

UFO has a point, and I can see his point.

But conversely, I don't block the road so that cars can't pass me bc I feel that cars are unsafe... I have a certain level of trust that a driver will be aware of his surrounds like I am when I'm on the road on my bike

Plus, I rarely see shitty cyclists on the actual road.

95% of the time when I see a cyclist on the road, they are fully equipped (bright clothing lights etc). And I can assume that if the persons confident enough to ride on a single lane road, they have the bike handling abilities to not swerve and keep their line.

Anyways different strokes for different folks.

I don't block cyclists when I drive, I stay clear of them like I would a pedestrian because I'M the one driving the metal death box.

Also, in my point of view (as a cyclist and driver) I see that it's commonplace for cyclists to ride on the right side and pass cars if traffic is stopped at a red light. I don't see any problem with that. Some driver on the road is going to be annoyed being behind a cyclist whether or not its because the cyclist cut to the front or the cyclist is queuing in line.

If the concern is a car doing a right turn at a stop light as it goes green, well that's on the instinct of the cyclist to make a correct choice of not cutting to the front. And also, drivers should always be shoulder checking on the turn anyways

Ps. I'm sure UFO isn't shitting on us.. He's a rider just like us!

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 02-28-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #1637

Kevin/Ch28: go into a local bike store, one of the more reputable ones and get quickly measured. Most bike shops have this wooden post that u pull up ur crotch and it will tell u when ur stand over height is and approximate bike size.

Then go from there. I wouldn't buy a bike online until u figure out what size u fit. Go stand over some bikes in the store and maybe a test ride.

Then copy the measurements of the instore bike and compare it to the online bike.

We're similar in height but I'm not sure about your inseam. I'm 5 foot 7 and I ride a 52cm (size small) focus.

Also depends if the top tube is sloping etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #1638
RS Veteran

At 5'7, the Fuji will work using a Small which is roughly a 51/52cm. Will definitely need a fitting to work out the kinks with seat post and stem. But definitely get measured at a shop haha

Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #1639
I subscribe to Revscene

wow that thread is harsh LOL
agree with 604cefiro. INCOMING RANT!
i find it's the dumbass commuter geeks on folding bikes with a +90' stem and bar ends that are the most dangerous to drivers and other cyclists. i see them every day huffing and puffing up Ontario going 5km/h and not even slowing down at 4 way stops.
they're also the ones riding in the middle of the road and bike lanes totally oblivious to almost everything including the loud clicking of mine and 4 other freewheels behind them. then i try to say "coming up left" as nice as i can without seeming like a douche.

guys like us *ahem* are normally off main roads or well on the shoulders so we can ride faster and safer.

whew!
can't decide if i want to save up for a new ride this season or new wheels for the car :S
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #1640
UFO

Quote:

I'm not meaning to ridicule you. As mentioned I ride regularly too. YOU may have the common sense to stay behind a car turning right but you cant speak for all cyclists, many of whom are not as experienced or ride like they own the road instead of sharing it.

And clearly you haven't had a mountain biker with wide handlebars pull up beside your right side and leave a nice gash in your car. You think the cyclist is going to pay for that damage or the icbc deductible?

If a car blocks me on the right side at a red, I'll just sit and wait behind him like as if he were turning right. No need to get all mad, its just 1 car.

I'll keep on blocking the right, not because I hate cyclists because it's safer for me and safer for them.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #1641
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
I have a certain level of trust that a driver will be aware of his surrounds like I am when I'm on the road on my bike

Ps. I'm sure UFO isn't shitting on us.. He's a rider just like us!

Posted via RS Mobile
Thanks for seeing and understanding my point of view. You are brave with your level of trust.

As a driver I drive with the assumption the cyclist is an idiot and take the precautions necessary to avoid potential collisions, even if it causes the cyclist to think I'm a jerk.

As a cyclist I ride with the assumption cars may not see me or are aware of my presence, because I will lose any collision regardless of who is at fault. So I stay on traffic calmed bike routes as much as possible. It annoys me to see cyclists riding on Broadway for extended stretches when there is a designated cycling route 1 block up on 10th or 2 blocks down on 7th
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #1642
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I'm not meaning to ridicule you. As mentioned I ride regularly too. YOU may have the common sense to stay behind a car turning right but you cant speak for all cyclists, many of whom are not as experienced or ride like they own the road instead of sharing it.

And clearly you haven't had a mountain biker with wide handlebars pull up beside your right side and leave a nice gash in your car. You think the cyclist is going to pay for that damage or the icbc deductible?

If a car blocks me on the right side at a red, I'll just sit and wait behind him like as if he were turning right. No need to get all mad, its just 1 car.

I'll keep on blocking the right, not because I hate cyclists because it's safer for me and safer for them.
It's too bad that you had your car damaged by another cyclist, being one your self, you would know best not to tar us all with the same brush.

I don't agree with you holding the curb but if you feel that's your best option, I'm not going to talk you out of it.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #1643
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
A good majority of cyclists are horrible. There is no "roadmanship". It seems to get worse, the more performance oriented the rider is. I guess if he's training, he owns the road... On another note, If you've ever ridden a motorcycle, you know to pretend every driver on the street is a complete idiot. The only difference is you are smaller on a bike, with less noise to keep the cagers aware of you, and a hell of a lot less power to get out of a sticky situation. Keep your head up, don't take risky maneuvers. You won't piss off drivers, and B... You won't be dead....
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1644
Better safe than Surrey

Anyone have any experience with Mighty Riders? I'm interested in hearing your stories...
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #1645
UFO

Quote:
It's too bad that you had your car damaged by another cyclist, being one your self, you would know best not to tar us all with the same brush.
No need to be offended, I'm not trying to tar you with any brush. On the other hand, as they say, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..."

I know not all cyclists are inexperienced and idiots (I'd like to think I'm courteous and alert when I'm on my bike), I just assume they are when I'm driving. I also do the same thing with other cars and drivers on the road. It's called defensive driving.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1646
RS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with Mighty Riders? I'm interested in hearing your stories...
Have only heard positive stuff but they bilk you on prices.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #1647
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Anyone go to the sales??? I went to Cap's in Sapperton, some good items on sale. Door crashers went pretty fast. All Bontrager clothes and all shoes are 50% off.
South Shore's sale was mediocre compared to previous years. Not as much stock, lots of old stock from past years sales. No 2013 bikes for sale of course. Road bike tires weren't discounted much at all (all for $49). Best deals were bike racks for your car hitch, for $10. All gone of course. All clothing/shoes are 50% there too if you're interested.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #1648
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Anyone have any info on iPhone Heart Rate Monitors? I am using the Sportstracker app, and would like to purchase their heart rate monitor, but unfortunately that app has no ability to read cadence. Where as the iBike app does everything. I just can't justify the cost of the iBike setup at this time. Does anyone know of a monitor which would work with multiple apps?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1649
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Have only heard positive stuff but they bilk you on prices.
same, my coworkers says the local track scene seems to be pretty keen on them. oh and the hipsters with sw8 fixies. i checked out the one in kits looking for a set of nitto drops...but at $80+?
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #1650
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Anyone have any info on iPhone Heart Rate Monitors? I am using the Sportstracker app, and would like to purchase their heart rate monitor, but unfortunately that app has no ability to read cadence. Where as the iBike app does everything. I just can't justify the cost of the iBike setup at this time. Does anyone know of a monitor which would work with multiple apps?
I quite like the Sportstracker app and I use their HRM on my Nokia N9. Yes, one big downside is that it can't read cadence but I would much rather buy a cadence monitor for that (but I don't think it's that necessary to have one.)

The best part about SportsTracker and its HRM is that the service is free and relatively "cheap" in comparison to other HRMs. I've found it as a good app to monitor my intervals and to keep track of my weight loss goals.