REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #5601
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
I picked up an aluminum frame cross bike about two weeks ago and since then I've put close to 400kms on it (probably not a lot by the standards of people in this forum). I like the bike and I hope that its just not my impulsive nature talking but lately I've been finding myself browsing around looking deals to upgrade my current ride, a full carbon bike to be specific. Need your input if this is worth pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance

It's a custom built bike from the Fuji Altimira Limited Team edition frameset;

Frame: D6 high modulus carbon
Rear triangle: D6 high modulus carbon
Fork: FC-330 carbon monocoque
Shimano 105-5700 groupset
Bontrager Carbon Bar
Carbon 3T saddle, Bontrager Carbon Stem, Ritchey seat with carbon rails
DT Swiss RR 1850 wheels

$1300
Personally, I think it's an "okay" price. Not a super deal or anything. Performance Bike is selling the 2012 edition of the frame for $1499 and it comes with warranty (doesn't look the same though.)

If you shop and wait around, you might see some other frames pop up, some of which may even be fully built bikes if you decide to up your budget.

Food for thought, a brand new Guru Flite carbon frame from an authorized dealer is $1500 and change. Having said that, if you absolutely must have the Fuji Altamira, then go for it. Build it up, ride it, and post pics.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #5602
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Food for thought, a brand new Guru Flite carbon frame from an authorized dealer is $1500 and change. Having said that, if you absolutely must have the Fuji Altamira, then go for it. Build it up, ride it, and post pics.
Dukes, is this deal via John at PMS?
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #5603
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Thanks bro. It's tough doing it solo. Going to Squamish wasn't bad. Coming back was a challenge cuz there was a head wind the whole way. I also got a flat 10km after leaving Squamish... was interesting being on the side of the Sea to Sky highway roasting in the sun changing a tube and patching the damaged one!

Every rider that passed by offered help which was nice to see!

At around the 130km I definitely hit a mental and physical wall but was able to push through to get home.

I think it was because I didn't prepare enough food. With longer distances like that, REAL food is important. I'll probably make stuffed rice cakes or something next time and home made bars and dried fruit. Gels and protein bars aren't good enough

Richmond to Squamish and Back. 184km Solo mish
Wow, that's impressive. Are you training for the Gran Fondo? What's your aim for time?

I was thinking of going from Richmond to Britannia Beach next Saturday to train for the Gran Fondo. I hate getting flats on the road. The last time, I popped my tube trying to change it too quickly on the road...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #5604

...what's the weight difference between that Fuji bike and say...this one:
Save Up To 60% Off Fuji Road Bikes - Road - Fuji SL 1 Road bikes
for $1200 USD.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #5605
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
That is a good price, I'll look into it. I think the weight difference would between 2-3 lbs but don't think it'll matter as much as I don't plan on racing with the bike. Frame geometry is a bit different as well
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #5606
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATFLIP_14 View Post
Dukes, is this deal via John at PMS?
Maybe, but PMS is the worst shop ever. Stay away.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #5607
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Thanks bro. It's tough doing it solo. Going to Squamish wasn't bad. Coming back was a challenge cuz there was a head wind the whole way. I also got a flat 10km after leaving Squamish... was interesting being on the side of the Sea to Sky highway roasting in the sun changing a tube and patching the damaged one!

Every rider that passed by offered help which was nice to see!

At around the 130km I definitely hit a mental and physical wall but was able to push through to get home.

I think it was because I didn't prepare enough food. With longer distances like that, REAL food is important. I'll probably make stuffed rice cakes or something next time and home made bars and dried fruit. Gels and protein bars aren't good enough

Richmond to Squamish and Back. 184km Solo mish
may I join your ride next time?
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #5608
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
That is a good price, I'll look into it. I think the weight difference would between 2-3 lbs but don't think it'll matter as much as I don't plan on racing with the bike. Frame geometry is a bit different as well
What size are you? there are some decent deals on our local CL.

A friend picked up a Scott CR1 with Ultegra 10 for $1100 recently. Another friend got a supersix with 105 for $1400
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #5609
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Yes i am It'll be my second year doing the fondo.

Last year my goal was 4 hrs, I completed it in 4 hrs 5 mins.

This year my goal is to finish under 3 hrs 40 minutes.

Having ridden it last year, there's definitely tactics on how to ride the fondo. Last year i spent too much time at the very front of the groups i was with, and I spent too much energy bridging gaps to groups ahead.

I will be in the 3.5hr corral this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Are you training for the Gran Fondo? What's your aim for time?

I was thinking of going from Richmond to Britannia Beach next Saturday to train for the Gran Fondo. I hate getting flats on the road. The last time, I popped my tube trying to change it too quickly on the road...
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #5610
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:

Having ridden it last year, there's definitely tactics on how to ride the fondo. Last year i spent too much time at the very front of the groups i was with, and I spent too much energy bridging gaps to groups ahead.

Dude. just let other people work for you. hahaha. follow the fast group.
mc.jolaika is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #5611

Quote:

Last year I aimed for 5 hours, I did it 5 hour 10 minutes. I'm aiming for 4.5 hours this year.

I definitely need to draft more groups...I think I did a pretty good job drafting a group till squamish, but I got thrown off because I went to a rest station.

For 4.5 hours, how many rest stops do you think I should do? I think if I bring 2 bottles of water and 3 bars, I should only need to stop once.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #5612

My advice would be to start in the 4hr corral. You want to be as close to the front groups as possible.

Have 3 bottles of fluids. 2 on the bike 1 in the jersey (or have a bottle mounted on rear of seat). 3-4 gels. And food (food can be rice cakes, home made granola bars etc). I find that protein bars are hard to digest and hurts my stomach when on prolonged rides.

Stops? Try not to stop at the rest stops if you don't have to.

I didn't stop last year.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #5613
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I just discovered that baby food, the stuff in the pouches, is a great cheap alternative to power gels and the like
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #5614
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Personally, I think it's an "okay" price. Not a super deal or anything. Performance Bike is selling the 2012 edition of the frame for $1499 and it comes with warranty (doesn't look the same though.)

If you shop and wait around, you might see some other frames pop up, some of which may even be fully built bikes if you decide to up your budget.

I think $1300 is a pretty damned good price for what was listed. How does a $1500 frame/forkset even compare in any way? Figure to spend about 500-700 on drive train and brakes, 200-300 on cockpit, and 300-500 on wheels--and that's just for mostly mid level components. At least 1000-1500 to have a frame built up, and you're double or more over the original $1300 for a complete bike
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #5615
RS Veteran

Reading comprehension fail on my part. I thought it was the frameset only.

tomatogunk - go buy it.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #5616
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Need more mountain biking talk in here. I mean seriously Crankworx is going on and you guys are babbling on about granola bars, 5 hour rides to squamish, and rice cakes?

WAY MORE EXCITING:

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #5617
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Need more mountain biking talk in here. I mean seriously Crankworx is going on and you guys are babbling on about granola bars, 5 hour rides to squamish, and rice cakes?

WAY MORE EXCITING:

MTB slopestyle course preview w/ Brandon Semenuk - Red Bull Joyride 2014 - YouTube
One of CrankWorx's biggest sponsors was a health bar company so it fits just fine.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #5618
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I think $1300 is a pretty damned good price for what was listed. How does a $1500 frame/forkset even compare in any way? Figure to spend about 500-700 on drive train and brakes, 200-300 on cockpit, and 300-500 on wheels--and that's just for mostly mid level components. At least 1000-1500 to have a frame built up, and you're double or more over the original $1300 for a complete bike
Quote:
Reading comprehension fail on my part. I thought it was the frameset only.

tomatogunk - go buy it.
Thanks guys. I bought it on Monday huehuehue... picking this up in the States tomorrow after work. Coincidentally my friend's dad had the same frame but with Di2 components, rode it last night and just fell in love.

here's what I'm expecting tomorrow:

tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #5619
RS controls my life!

Anyone who's done the granfondo comment on whether they think its worth it, whether they'd do it again, and/or any small details about it that might encourage me to do it this year? All this fondo talk is tempting me haha. Support and rest stops seem to be mainly what you're paying for (other than the experience), but I'd probably just ride it straight and skip the stops.

FWIW I've ridden burnaby to whistler solo, and it was a blast, so I'm not sure how much more fun it would be to be participate in the granfondo. (I usually ride solo, haven't gotten into group rides/races yet since I just started road riding this year)
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #5620

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
Anyone who's done the granfondo comment on whether they think its worth it, whether they'd do it again, and/or any small details about it that might encourage me to do it this year? All this fondo talk is tempting me haha. Support and rest stops seem to be mainly what you're paying for (other than the experience), but I'd probably just ride it straight and skip the stops.

FWIW I've ridden burnaby to whistler solo, and it was a blast, so I'm not sure how much more fun it would be to be participate in the granfondo. (I usually ride solo, haven't gotten into group rides/races yet since I just started road riding this year)
I'm doing it for the third year in a row. For me it's worth it; it's different being able to ride in the middle of road not having to worry about cars. Having ~5000 people around you also helps you ride faster...

I also like having a goal to aim for, so it works for me.

In terms of stops, it definitely helped when I first did it as I was a total road bike newb (the longest ride I did before the Fondo was probably 80ish km). But as you get more experienced, you probably won't stop very much, if at all.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #5621

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

WAY MORE EXCITING:

MTB slopestyle course preview w/ Brandon Semenuk - Red Bull Joyride 2014 - YouTube
10 years ago, I used to have a hardtail Kona, and a full suspension Intense Tracer (do they still make those?). It was great riding around the Delta watershed every weekend, but it meant I had to drive out and commit time to do that.

These days, I just don't have the time to find an offroad trail, and it's nice to be able to just get on my road bike and ride around. Oh, and I also don't like falling off my bike because I don't heal as fast as I used to...
Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #5622
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
and a full suspension Intense Tracer (do they still make those?).
Intense do indeed still make bikes, the M9 being their downhill specific sled:

I know what you mean about finding time to go mountain biking, but its so worth it.

Compared to riding on the road which was designed for cars, riding on trails specifically designed for your bike, and to push the limits of you and the bike as one, is just soooo much more rewarding to me.

Don't get me wrong, yes, its completely dangerous, but then again people die riding bikes on the road as well. Statistically i'm sure injuries are less prevalent riding on the street, but as long as you stay within your boundaries riding at whistler, you can easily have a blast and not get injured.

It's people like me who go up there, and decide on a whim to huck the crabapple hits, or race a buddy down dirt merchant, we are the people who end up in the hospital at whistler.

For me unless that risk of serious injury, or death is there I'm bored. I want to push the limits of what I think I can do.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #5623
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Creeping up in age, I can't afford to be off. There is not a chance I'd be caught dead on the mountain not pushing myself. Atleast when i push myself on the road bike, i'm just pushing my heart. If that fails, well I guess I won't have to face the consequences. ha. Mountain Biking was my passion growing up. Recently bought a Giant Reign last summer. I've literally ridden it twice on trails. The first time was tame. The second time I was riding the same 3 inch rails I was when I was in my teens. Did I mention I stopped because of injuries? I see it happening again. Actually been thinking of getting rid of it.

Anyone want a '06 Giant Reign 0, with a brand new XT front disc (Ok, 1 ride). Size medium. Revscene Price $700.

Haven't decided what it's replacement will be. A single speed city bike that I don't have to worry about, or maybe a cross bike that I can start racing on.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 08-15-2014 at 12:36 PM.
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #5624

It's a great experience. Roads are blocked off, you get to ride the lions gate bridge road deck, pretty much a dedicated lane all the way up to whistler.

For those who take in all its glory, there's a lot of attractions, food and wine tasting booths along the way for u to enjoy.

There are multiple stops (food water bathroom) and people along the road handing out water food to you.

You will find crowds of people in the weirdest spots with cow bells cheering u on. There was a mariachi band in full costume playing their instruments... It's a blast.

Cost is really high that's my only complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post

This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #5625
RS controls my life!

Haha, thanks for the input. Yes the cost is an issue, not in the sense that I mind spending the $$, but rather that I would like to spend it on my bike instead.

Perhaps next year it'll be in the cards, or if I can score a good deal online, I'll consider it. Is everyone staying there for the night?
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote