REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
LULU Lemons Fauxlympic Wear

Quote:
Lululemon irks Olympic officials with 'rogue' clothing line
Damian Inwood, Canwest News Service: Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A trendy Vancouver clothing company’s lulu of a marketing stunt has left Olympic organizers sucking lemons.

For Lululemon Athletica has come up with a cheeky clothing line that’s named “Cool Sporting Event That Takes Place in British Columbia Between 2009 & 2011 Edition.”

And Olympic officials lashed out at the outfitter’s “rogue advertising” on Monday night.

But Lululemon spokesman Eric Petersen denied the name was a brazen bid to circumvent Vancouver 2010’s vigorous brand protection policies.

“We never imagined or intended it to be that way,” insisted Petersen. “We did our homework and were very confident that this is within the letter of the law.”

Petersen said the design of the clothing line, which includes toques, hoodies, T-shirts and mitts, was a “collaborative” effort.

“We sat in a room and people were going, ‘Let’s put 2010 on it, let’s put Vancouver on it,’” he said. “And we said, ‘You can’t do that. You can’t say this.’

“We went through the litany of things you cannot say and started throwing out a bunch of things we felt we could say that were respectful of the rules and regulations.”

According to Petersen, the clothing is aimed at any of the sporting events in the 2009 to 2011 window such as the World Junior Hockey Championships.

“We would never do anything that we felt was ambush marketing,” he added.

The clothing line includes red T-shirts with the word “Eh!” or a Todd Bertuzzi lookalike hockey player. There are also mitts, scarves and hoodies in the national colours of Canada, the U.S., Sweden and Germany.

A Christmas “gag gift” is “hockey helmet” headgear complete with tooth blackener for that Bobby Clarke grin.

“You can have a zipper pull from any different country,” chuckled Petersen.

“And our favourite thing with the hoodie is the Canadian zipper is gold and the rest of the zippers are silver. So the American zippers are silver and we feel that’s like the Canadian loonie that went under the ice.”

Petersen was referring to the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympics, where Canada beat the U.S. in the gold medal hockey game after a loonie was embedded at centre ice.

The clothing line is being sold in 42 Lululemon stores across Canada, including eight in the Lower Mainland and one in Whistler.

It’s also in eight stores in the U.S.

He said Lululemon hasn’t talked to Vancouver 2010 officials about the clothing line.

But if 2010 complained, he added, “we’d sit down and talk to them and explain what our intent was.”

Shopper Tim Lehman said he had no objection to the marketing ploy and thinks Olympic organizers have gone “a little over the top” in protecting the 2010 brand.

“I could care less about Olympia Pizza and I think they got unfairly targeted in 2005, when they’ve been around for years,” added Lehman. “It’s ridiculous.”

Bill Cooper, 2010’s director of commercial rights management, strongly disagreed with Lululemon’s marketing strategy.

“We expected better sportsmanship from a local Canadian company than to produce a clothing line that attempts to profit from the Games but doesn’t support the Games or the success of the Canadian Olympic team,” he fumed.

“Funds generated from the sale of officially licensed merchandise — including the hugely popular red mittens — goes directly towards the success of the Canadian Olympic Team and the successful staging of the Games.”

Cooper said that 2010 has consulted lawyers and while Lululemon’s line isn’t trying to mislead consumers into believing the clothing is authentic merchandise, “we expect a higher standard than the strict letter of the law.”

He said 2010 will use tactics outside legal action to “encourage” them to comply, such as a PR campaign to “make sure the consumer is informed.”

Lululemon lost out to HBC in bidding to become an official clothing outfitter of the Canadian Olympic team from 2006 to 2012.

dinwood@theprovince.com
http://www.globaltvbc.com/entertainm...061/story.html
http://www.theprovince.com/life/Lulu...215/story.html

just saw this on the news, all i gotta say is
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
i did not read

but fail for using hasting hooker as models lululemon
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
is she missing a tooth or is it just black>

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
I don't get it

whats wrong with her face..

But I like the line, screw VANOC
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #5

they painted her tooth black,im guessing, because the line is Hockey Themed
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
.....its actually half a repost cuz its alredy in 2012 logo thread.... but i aint gonna hate lol
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
SFICC-05*

Do you guys not read?

"A Christmas “gag gift” is “hockey helmet” headgear complete with tooth blackener for that Bobby Clarke grin."
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
.....its actually half a repost cuz its alredy in 2012 logo thread.... but i aint gonna hate lol
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
the tag on the clothing is pretty funny, they obviously got lawyers and determined how far they could push the limit without being sued by Vanoc
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Do you guys not read?

"A Christmas “gag gift” is “hockey helmet” headgear complete with tooth blackener for that Bobby Clarke grin."
they obviously did not. 'post first, ask questions' later is the usual case here on RS with any post longer than 3 sentences.

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
bahahahahaa

Lululemon just gave VANOC a huge middle finger and told them to fuck off.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

The only problem i have is that part of the proceeds from the official olympic merchandise goes to our athletes... but this is just for their own profit. If anything, this is a case of a Canadian company diverting funds that would otherwise go towards our Canadian athletes into their own pockets. Canadians stealing from Canadians... If only they donated a portion of the proceeds to some sort of athletic organization... It's a shame that the general population is ignorant or simply don't give two shits about things like that.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
damn i keep thinking of those LG tight sweat pants

make any non-fat chick look like they have hot ass/legs
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
The only problem i have is that part of the proceeds from the official olympic merchandise goes to our athletes... but this is just for their own profit. If anything, this is a case of a Canadian company diverting funds that would otherwise go towards our Canadian athletes into their own pockets. Canadians stealing from Canadians... If only they donated a portion of the proceeds to some sort of athletic organization... It's a shame that the general population is ignorant or simply don't give two shits about things like that.
How about this view : the olympics are stealing from ALL citizens of the province of BC ?

Let's shut down parks, conservatories, hospitals, schools and build useless venues for a 20 day international party? I am glad i don't live in Vancouver where I am getting raped by crazy property taxes to fund this stupid gong show.

It's common knowledge : A canadian athlete is a poor athlete and can't expect any sort of funding from anyone period.

**edit** 99% of the olympic shit that VANOC is hocking is made in China anyways.

Last edited by Volvo-brickster; 12-16-2009 at 09:16 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I hate lululemon crap, yet a huge for doing this. HBC cannot keep Olympic gear in stock cause they under estimated sales based on their crappy summer Olympics gear in 2008. HBC sucks and should have the contract taken away from them. Give it back to roots, or based on this, even give it to Lululemon.

Going to check if the gear is for sale tomorrow, I want that 'eh!' shirt!
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
How about this view : the olympics are stealing from ALL citizens of the province of BC ?

Let's shut down parks, conservatories, hospitals, schools and build useless venues for a 20 day international party? I am glad i don't live in Vancouver where I am getting raped by crazy property taxes to fund this stupid gong show.

It's common knowledge : A canadian athlete is a poor athlete and can't expect any sort of funding from anyone period.

**edit** 99% of the olympic shit that VANOC is hocking is made in China anyways.
it's 2 weeks, get over it.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I hate lululemon crap, yet a huge for doing this. HBC cannot keep Olympic gear in stock cause they under estimated sales based on their crappy summer Olympics gear in 2008. HBC sucks and should have the contract taken away from them. Give it back to roots, or based on this, even give it to Lululemon.

Going to check if the gear is for sale tomorrow, I want that 'eh!' shirt!
watch out now, spyker is going to fail you for his differing opinion on Lululemon apparel
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
it's 2 weeks, get over it.
2 weeks of fun, how many years of debt ?

death by a thousand cuts.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Not to mention that the best tickets are given to the Corporate bigwigs long before they are even offered to the taxpayers.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:

Boo. Hoo. It's going to happen no matter what. Make the best of it.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Not all athletes are poor. Look at the mens hockey team.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #22
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Well hbc won the clothing bid because they had a bigger canadian history than anyone else. But the thing is, HBC is now majority owned by an American.
Posted via RS Mobile
k2_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote