REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #26
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That's insane. If they wanted you to stop a block sooner, why wouldn't they just STAND a block sooner?
That's what I am confused about. If they need that block or half block of space, why not position the flagperson so he can protect that space and reduce driver confusion?

For all I know, it was a broken down Civic.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That's what I am confused about. If they need that block or half block of space, why not position the flagperson so he can protect that space and reduce driver confusion?
The question is rhetorical - OF COURSE they'll position the flagger at the point they actually want traffic to stop.

Quote:
For all I know, it was a broken down Civic.
Or just a Civic with a dumbass driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The question is rhetorical - OF COURSE they'll position the flagger at the point they actually want traffic to stop.
You're stating that they would always be positioned where they want the traffic to stop? So why was I given grief about passing the Civic when the flagperson was holding the sign 50 yards away?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
You're stating that they would always be positioned where they want the traffic to stop? So why was I given grief about passing the Civic when the flagperson was holding the sign 50 yards away?
A few reasons pop to mind... most related to the specific flagger - ie. he was incompetent, ignorant, drunk, just a run-of-the-mill-everday jerk, had just been clipped by some asshole who didn't even slow down... take your pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

In some cases, they need the road ahead cleared for a truck to go there, but they are also the person directing the truck and letting them know it's safe so they have to stand there to ensure the truck driver can see them and some of them just don't want any cars that near them I guess. When the flag person yelled at you, you should have (or at least I would have) explained to the person that their hand signals didn't make any sense and was misinterpreted so that they know that they shouldn't do that anymore or if it happened to them in the past, then they might clue in that it's what they are doing and not what the driver is doing that is wrong. However, usually when one of them waves the stop sign at me, I take it to me stop right there. Are you 100% sure the hand signals that person was doing was directed at you? I've seen it where they are also giving directions to construction trucks too while holding a stop sign for the traffic.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
In some cases, they need the road ahead cleared for a truck to go there, but they are also the person directing the truck and letting them know it's safe so they have to stand there to ensure the truck driver can see them and some of them just don't want any cars that near them I guess. When the flag person yelled at you, you should have (or at least I would have) explained to the person that their hand signals didn't make any sense and was misinterpreted so that they know that they shouldn't do that anymore or if it happened to them in the past, then they might clue in that it's what they are doing and not what the driver is doing that is wrong. However, usually when one of them waves the stop sign at me, I take it to me stop right there. Are you 100% sure the hand signals that person was doing was directed at you? I've seen it where they are also giving directions to construction trucks too while holding a stop sign for the traffic.
He just gave me crap and walked away, there was no time to explain my position and quite frankly I don't think he would have understood. Again, this was a small construction zone, one front end loader and about three workers. There was absolutely no way that they needed 50 yards to tun that thing around.