REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
I thought it was pretty damn powerful. Definitely the most interesting documentary I've ever seen. Made me cringe in the slaughter scenes
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
my rule of thumb when picking between 2 or more girls .. always go with the one with bigger boobs
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
^ cutting off shark fins and throwing them back isnt a natural occurrence
It is now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Must be funny when he sees his psychiatrist for treatment of his delusions of grandeur.

Hyde: "See my black Ferrari parked in the handicapped spot outside your office"
Doctor: "Where? All I see is a Yaris."
Hyde: "It's a Ferrari dammit! LoL! Yaris!?"
Doctor: " I'd appreciate if you didn't park in the handicap spots."
Hyde: "LOL! The ticket is only like $500 bucks. In fact, my dad's factory makes the handicapped street signs. If you look closely at vegetable in the wheelchair, it's really a picture of me when I was born."
Doctor: "Here, come a little closer you won't feel this at all."<Injects 20cc of Haloperidol>
Hyde: "I feel woozy...hey, what did you do to my Ferrari? That's a real piece of shit parked in my spot."
Doctor: "Welcome to reality."
Guy_LikeWhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #28
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
^ cutting off shark fins and throwing them back isnt a natural occurrence
the worst part is shark fin is taste less
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this documentary. On one hand its hard not to feel sorry for the dolphins. On the otherhand, what right do we have in judging what the Japanese do? I guess now we know how indians feel about the cow slaughter in North America.

We can't be like "omg save the dolphins", but then go on and chow down on a pork chop. With meat, it's all or nothing. Someone could easily produce a documentary about pigs in a similar fashion. We just don't have pigs in our mind as cute and cuddly as dolphins are..
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #30
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

im not sure...but isnt porky and mr cow put down humanely? but who really defines humanely right?

this is how cows are slaughtered
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/55448

but ya im sure everywhere around the world people do some questionable things too animals, it just aint documented and portrayed as super evil

but being stabbed and killed like that i think is bad >.< but cutting the artery of a animal and bleeding it is not that nice either >.<

i had mixed feelings too
homey_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #31
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey_v View Post
im not sure...but isnt porky and mr cow put down humanely? but who really defines humanely right?

this is how cows are slaughtered
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/55448

but ya im sure everywhere around the world people do some questionable things too animals, it just aint documented and portrayed as super evil

but being stabbed and killed like that i think is bad >.< but cutting the artery of a animal and bleeding it is not that nice either >.<

i had mixed feelings too
For the most part, cows are 'humanely' slaughter using a captive stun bolt to knock them out. Then occasionally you'll get the situation where it doesn't go so well... something like this:

NSFW video (or if your squeamish) watch at your own risk.
Spoiler!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #32

Cattle are rendered unconscious by applying an electric shock of 300 volts and 2 amps to the back of the head, effectively stunning the animal,[10] or by use of a captive bolt pistol to the front of the cow's head (a pneumatic or cartridge-fired captive bolt). Swine can be rendered unconscious by CO2/inert gas stunning. (This step is prohibited under strict application of Halal and Kashrut codes.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse
Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #33

you beat me to it. wow disgusting...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #34
resident Oil Guru

So I mean, what about countries who don't have access to these stunning methods..for example in this video from the Phillipines?

NSFW
Spoiler!

Clearly the pig is feeling pain and suffering...should we go to their country and make documentaries about their practices? I don't think so, which is why I feel like The Cove is kinda biased towards the cute and cuddly nature of dolphins.

If you argue that killing of dolphins is wrong, then why not go after pig slaughter, which happens all over the world? Anyways, it's a touchy issue.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
one also have to consider the impact on the ecosystem on the killing of dolphin vs the killing of pigs. Pigs and cattle, sheeps etc have be so far domesticated killing them would actually be a blessing for the rest of the ecosystem (more land for wild animal to graze on)

killing dolphins and sharks affects alot more than just their population, it also affects every organism below it and above it in the food chain. its been a while since i watched cove, i remember sharkwater touch on this in the film, with shark being on the top of the food chain and how it affects everything below. Does cove not touch on this and only focus on how brutal the killing is?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #36

about what liquid said about killing pigs.

if you watched the video im not sure if its true but japanese people dont eat dolphin?
but if they dont eat dolphins why kill them? so it must be going into their food somehow...causee they are killing 1000s of them

im wondering where all the dolphin meat is going. they say its not sold as food and they ask 3 people if they know about dolphin meat but they dont know about it.

im very very curious where they put the dolphin meat

at one point of the movie it said dolphin meat might be sold under the name whale meat or disguised as a different name.

and it also said something about the mercury being at like 50? ? or maybe it was 25?ppm which is still very toxic.

its not the killing that bothers me....its that they might be putting it in thier food that scares me most >.< i mean people talk about mercury poisoning eating sharkfin and bluefin tuna >.< killing happens no matter what...i think they should be more concerned about naming dolphin meat.

i think eatting a little bit once in a while should be fine right? not sure but if you think its say...( i dono any whale meats thats are low in mercury lol ) a safe to eat fish and you eat a ton of it not knowing its dolphin you cold get very very sick.

oo and dolphin meat is SUPER cheap

its selling the dolphins to water parks that rake in the money it said in the video

lol sorry its 3am...my writing might be really jumbled...ill read and edit again tomorrow if needed

Last edited by homey_v; 04-30-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #37

about what three said,

the movie does talk about the eco system and such. like how they are killing every last dolphin they can get, babies and parents it wouldn't which, a few minutes that hit me was the mercury and selling it in grocery stores as whale meat. dont know the exact japanese words for the dolphin meat labels, but like i said in the above post apparently people dont know they are eatting dolphin meat

OOO WAIT something that was in the movie
some of the fisherman apparently said that they are told dolphins are pests and will destroy their fish stock? and thats why they must kill the dolphins in the 1000s everyyear

something like i forget...someone correct me please

Last edited by homey_v; 04-30-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #38
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

Seriously guys, we're at the top of the food chain.

mother nature is a freak accident, she doesn't exist in any other place other than earth (as far as we know). Perhaps we are the equilibrium to this freak accident. Fighting fire with fire. Biological against biological.

We are going to consume earth, and anything in our path, or try to. That is our sole purpose in this universe. Intelligence, philosophy, love, capitalism, whatever feelings or knowledge you have, is ultimately just to fuel the human race's ability to survive in a "human infected" environment. we're going to use technology to keep us alive, and perhaps use it to simulate mother nature or keep her just barely alive, so we can sustain ourselves, and expand, and consume more.

anyways thats just one of my theories, and if it's true, i don't mind. lol. be proud of the human race, we're the best at what we do. fucking shit up. our entire race is one weapon of mass destruction lol. yeahhhh!!! homo sapiens, fucking shit up since 250 000 years ago.

i can picture it now... "in the far future... advance alien races deploy human colonies deep in enemy territory, 250 000 years later, their enemies will have been wiped from their resources being crippled from human infection" hahahaha. im so bored at work.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
imo Asian cultures are by far the worst for this kind of thing, all the things in chinese medicines and aphrodisiacs can virtually only be obtained illegally or through totally fucked up "legal" methods like the shark fin thing

north american culture dont have black bears set up draining their gallbladders, etc. hell even poachers in N/A are almost always killing for meat, not just their paws, organs, etc

North Americans/Westerners are the worse by far when in comes to animal abuse. We invented and support the factory farm system which is the most abhorrent thing man has ever unleashed into the animal kingdom. I think what those dolphin fishermen are doing is very wrong but at least those dolphins lived freely for most of their lives. In the factory farm, animals are born, mutilated, caged, force-fed, drugged up, and then brutally slaughtered (often times, much worse. like cows being skinned alive) all in the cheapest way possible. The most horrendous part is that this is done on a mammoth scale, billions of animals have to live and die this way every year just so people can save a few penny's on a hamburger. And yet mainstream society likes to take cheap jibes on people who abstain from eating meat for these very reasons.
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #40
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
After watching The Cove, I think it's silly to kill all those dolphins for the sake of food that isn't good for us in the first place. I mean, if eating dolphin will kill me, then I won't eat it and therefore, don't see why they should be killed.

However, make no mistake...animals are food. They do not possess higher consciousness and their entire existence is for the purpose of nourishing those higher on the food chain...us. Does that mean animals should be treated poorly like in the above videos? No...they shouldn't. Kill them quick and be done with it.

But to suggest anyone should stop eating any kind of meat for any reasons other than health is absurd. Meat is delicious. If animals didn't want to be slaughtered, they should stop being so delicious.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
dolphins are highly intelligent creatures. whether that should pose as argument to the double standard comments, i don't know. i'm sure we could muster up another excuse.

check out food inc. though. informative. tough to eat your burger after knowing about the bleach additive
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post

Seriously guys, we're at the top of the food chain.

mother nature is a freak accident, she doesn't exist in any other place other than earth (as far as we know). Perhaps we are the equilibrium to this freak accident. Fighting fire with fire. Biological against biological.

We are going to consume earth, and anything in our path, or try to. That is our sole purpose in this universe. Intelligence, philosophy, love, capitalism, whatever feelings or knowledge you have, is ultimately just to fuel the human race's ability to survive in a "human infected" environment. we're going to use technology to keep us alive, and perhaps use it to simulate mother nature or keep her just barely alive, so we can sustain ourselves, and expand, and consume more.

anyways thats just one of my theories, and if it's true, i don't mind. lol. be proud of the human race, we're the best at what we do. fucking shit up. our entire race is one weapon of mass destruction lol. yeahhhh!!! homo sapiens, fucking shit up since 250 000 years ago.

i can picture it now... "in the far future... advance alien races deploy human colonies deep in enemy territory, 250 000 years later, their enemies will have been wiped from their resources being crippled from human infection" hahahaha. im so bored at work.
Harsh but Ulic speak the truth. Its a sad existence than if it happens and my guess is it will. I'm just glad it won't happen in my generation. I like being able to breath outside without mechanical aids because we have plants.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #43
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Finally got around to watching this last night. My gf was pretty traumatized. She doesnt want to go to seaworld anymore...
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just finished this movie last night after renting it. Truly a excellent documentary.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote